Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117055 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #315 on: September 22, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agree on not trading up for Wiseman.  In fact, if we had a top three pick I'd want to trade down in this draft.

Current hopes:

14.  Patrick Williams.....if not there, then grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.
14.  Bey/Nesmith.......if not there, grab Bane at 26.  If there, grab Paul Reed at 26.
14.  Achiuwa..........if not there grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.
14.  Vassell............if not there, Bane at 26.  If there, Paul Reed at 26.

26/30.  Reed, Bane, Tillman, Bolmaro, T. Bey

Trade up targets:  1.  Okongwu  2.  Halliburton  3.  Toppin

Trade down targets:  1.  Maxey  2.  Lewis Jr.   3.  C. Anthony  (for example if trade 14 and 47 to Dallas for 18 and 31)

You really like Bane, huh? I like him too, but it seems like you are really locked-in on him?

I think you have to consider Killian Hayes if you trade up too. At worst, the guy is something like a Derrick White or Delon Wright. A guy of his size and versatility and passing would be a perfect complement to Cs system.

I also think you have to consider Anthony and Hampton at 14. I know he's not yours and others favorite option, but both have legit talent and a homerun swing at 14 could push this Cs core into dynasty-mode. The guys you listed at 14 are solid players, but I don't think they have that much upside.

Other than that, I'm in on Williams, Bey, Achiuwa, and Bolmaro. I'm less high on Nesmith than others on here, but I see the appeal. Vassel might be alright, but I just don't get excited about his game. Reed and Tillman would be solid possibilities late first and in the second round. Tyler Bey I'm meh on. It seems like there are guys like him every year that don't pan out. He reminds me a lot of RHJ, which as we just saw, is not a playoff contributor.

Do have a good feeling about Bane, but open to others too, especially if they don't view him as better than Romeo on the whole.  He's a bit bigger than Romeo but still...could be a bit redundnant. 

Tyler Bey  I think is springier and wingier than RHJ....more like Matt Barnes or such...

More clear to me is that if we don't get a big (I include P. Williams as big) at 14 then I hope Reed will be there at 26 and that we'll take him.  He's down in the 30's in some mocks so I could be wrong, but I like the profile for the C's.  I suppose there could be room for both P. Williams and P. Reed on the team if we're losing one of our current bigs and they need time to develop etc...but then there's Grant W., P. Will and Reed and that's a lot of PF's....perfect for small ball center C's!!   ;D

« Reply #316 on: September 22, 2020, 05:47:11 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Agree on not trading up for Wiseman.  In fact, if we had a top three pick I'd want to trade down in this draft.

Current hopes:

14.  Patrick Williams.....if not there, then grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.
14.  Bey/Nesmith.......if not there, grab Bane at 26.  If there, grab Paul Reed at 26.
14.  Achiuwa..........if not there grab Paul Reed at 26.  If there, grab Bane at 26.

Trade down targets:  1.  Maxey  2.  Lewis Jr.   3.  C. Anthony  (for example if trade 14 and 47 to Dallas for 18 and 31)

You really like Bane, huh? I like him too, but it seems like you are really locked-in on him?

I think you have to consider Killian Hayes if you trade up too. At worst, the guy is something like a Derrick White or Delon Wright. A guy of his size and versatility and passing would be a perfect complement to Cs system.

I also think you have to consider Anthony and Hampton at 14. I know he's not yours and others favorite option, but both have legit talent and a homerun swing at 14 could push this Cs core into dynasty-mode. The guys you listed at 14 are solid players, but I don't think they have that much upside.

Other than that, I'm in on Williams, Bey, Achiuwa, and Bolmaro. I'm less high on Nesmith than others on here, but I see the appeal. Vassel might be alright, but I just don't get excited about his game. Reed and Tillman would be solid possibilities late first and in the second round. Tyler Bey I'm meh on. It seems like there are guys like him every year that don't pan out. He reminds me a lot of RHJ, which as we just saw, is not a playoff contributor.

Do have a good feeling about Bane, but open to others too, especially if they don't view him as better than Romeo on the whole.  He's a bit bigger than Romeo but still...could be a bit redundnant. 

Tyler Bey  I think is springier and wingier than RHJ....more like Matt Barnes or such...

More clear to me is that if we don't get a big (I include P. Williams as big) at 14 then I hope Reed will be there at 26 and that we'll take him.  He's down in the 30's in some mocks so I could be wrong, but I like the profile for the C's.  I suppose there could be room for both P. Williams and P. Reed on the team if we're losing one of our current bigs and they need time to develop etc...but then there's Grant W., P. Will and Reed and that's a lot of PF's....perfect for small ball center C's!!   ;D

I would like a draft of Bey, Bey and Bane but I also like Reed at that 30th pick. We need role players/ shooters/ defenders to surround our young stars.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 06:14:20 PM by liam »

« Reply #317 on: September 22, 2020, 06:16:10 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
There’s some interesting information in this article.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2909528-2020-nba-draft-buying-or-selling-latest-rumors

It says that RJ Hampton’s jump shot has improved a lot since he’s last played.  I could see Ainge being interested in him.

It also says Jalen Smith’s stock has been rising and that he could be a possibility for the Celtics at 14.

The info that teams may be trying to trade down is interesting. There are some good solid players in that 5-10 range. This could be a very active draft.

There are rumors the Pistons might want out of the 7th pick and would trade down. At least, some pistons fans are advocating for it. If that’s available, there are a few players who are interesting - Vassel, Okongwu, Hayes. If any one of them pans out, they might fit in very nicely a couple years from now alongside prime-age Tatum and Brown.

That would be great, but also think it sounds too good to be true for the Celtics. Is 14+26+30 => 7?

Wonder if the Celtics try to trade up would they make Langford or Grant Williams available (Edwards certainly)?

Grant is the only one I’d hesitate to trade. If it was necessary for the deal and the Cs were convinced one of these guys is special, seems worth it. That’s kind of a cop-out, but’s it’s a pretty routine story that teams learn a lot in the meetings and workouts.

If they think these guys are just role players, probably not.

I wouldn't trade trade Grant also

Okongwu is considered a super role type.  Not sold on his perimeter game. 

If Wiseman drops to 7, thats another story.   He has AD lite type potential.

Wiseman is the most intriguing player in this draft. He's just so big and athletic. He has amazing physical gifts and if he has the work ethic to go with it he could really be an excellent player.
He really could be anything. Exciting, but also terrifying potential. He could be literally anything from an Anthony Davis / Jermaine O'Neal type to a JaVale McGee

Very little to judge from but he shoots free-throws well and he's a physical freak. Yeah, he could have so many outcomes but if The Celtics can trade up and grab him I think it would be worth the risk.
I tend to agree. Swing for the fences with a guy who could be genuinely elite (if he falls), and with the second rounder try and get a safe player ready to contribute immediately (like Ojeleye)
Don't see the AD comparison to be honest. AD can switch ball screens on the perimeter, plus he can defend the pick n roll. Wiseman can do neither of these things. Obviously, he's a terrific rim protector.

My comps for Wiseman would be DeAndre Jordan/Hassan Whiteside/JaVale McGee with a jump shot.

If you ask me, Wiseman would be a bad fit in our system. I'd be very sceptical about trading up for him.
I suspect this may be his true upside which is not someone a team trades up for.  if there was a decent chance he could be AD-lite as mentioned previously, he'd be the top pick in this weak draft

If we knew we were getting DeAndre Jordan with a jump shot, I'd definitely move up from 14.
the point is he's not Jordan with a jump shot or else he'd be at the top of the draft
Which is where he would be in a regular draft year
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #318 on: September 22, 2020, 08:29:23 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

Current hopes:

I would like a draft of Bey, Bey and Bane but I also like Reed at that 30th pick. We need role players/ shooters/ defenders to surround our young stars.

Yeah agree...Would hope Reed is in there in that scenario, rather than Tyler Bey and Bane both...

« Reply #319 on: September 23, 2020, 05:05:19 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

Current hopes:

Yeah agree...Would hope Reed is in there in that scenario, rather than Tyler Bey and Bane both...

I guess I'm just hoping for good solid role players in this draft. There will be a couple of NBA starters/ stars in this draft, there always seems to be a couple even in weak drafts but I have no idea who they'll be.

« Reply #320 on: September 23, 2020, 05:15:07 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Bleacher report recently put out a mock draft, and they had us trading up. The trade was our 3 first rounders for the 7th pick owned by the Pistons. They had us taking Tyrese Haliburton with that pick. Any thoughts on such a trade? Think it's realistic?
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #321 on: September 23, 2020, 05:19:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Bleacher report recently put out a mock draft, and they had us trading up. The trade was our 3 first rounders for the 7th pick owned by the Pistons. They had us taking Tyrese Haliburton with that pick. Any thoughts on such a trade? Think it's realistic?

I personally don't think 26 and 30 gets you from #14 to #7.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #322 on: September 23, 2020, 05:23:04 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
It's absolutely realistic. I don't think anyone can argue it's fair value. The matter seems to be is who will be available (not sure DA makes that trade just to move to 7 unless his player or three will be there) but Haliburton is a nice combo guard. This team likes versatility so maybe why BR has them targeting TH. I want to see who else is available and maybe DA wants to move up a couple of more picks though not sure what else (reasonably) he can use as ammo.

« Reply #323 on: September 23, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
It's absolutely realistic. I don't think anyone can argue it's fair value. The matter seems to be is who will be available (not sure DA makes that trade just to move to 7 unless his player or three will be there) but Haliburton is a nice combo guard. This team likes versatility so maybe why BR has them targeting TH. I want to see who else is available and maybe DA wants to move up a couple of more picks though not sure what else (reasonably) he can use as ammo.

I don't mind the trade up but would select someone other than Haliburton to be honest. Hayes or Vassell.

Edit: Just watched Halliburton video, I think Brad would love him. Yeah, I'd be down with that!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 06:03:50 PM by footey »

« Reply #324 on: September 23, 2020, 08:46:21 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

I think in this draft it's realistic. This draft is fairly full of role players. A team like the Pistons needs to upgrade their talent and 3 picks give them 3 shots.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:55:45 PM by liam »

« Reply #325 on: September 23, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I personally don't think 26 and 30 gets you from #14 to #7.
I think generally that's true, but in this draft and with Detroit it might be. They need multiple players to go alongside Wood, Kennard and Doumbouya. Outside of those 3 they're really starved of young talent.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #326 on: September 23, 2020, 09:19:36 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

There have been multiple legit members of the NBA media who have speculated on a 14,26,30 for 7 trade. I do think this is a legit possibility.

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see R Williams added to the deal with the Cs receiving a future 2nd or Porier added to the deal with the Cs giving up a future 2nd.

Where I buy the trade I am not sold that Haliburton would be a DA target. I suspect the trade up target would be one of Wiseman, Okongwu, Hayes, Advija, or Okoro. I light Haliburton but think he is over all limited and best suited as a higher minute 6th/7th man. I’m not sold that his frame will allow him to defend at a high level early as a young player in the NBA. I think the more “blue chip “ type prospects will continue to take percent for DA in the lottery.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #327 on: September 23, 2020, 09:42:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

There have been multiple legit members of the NBA media who have speculated on a 14,26,30 for 7 trade. I do think this is a legit possibility.

I also wouldn’t be shocked to see R Williams added to the deal with the Cs receiving a future 2nd or Porier added to the deal with the Cs giving up a future 2nd.

Where I buy the trade I am not sold that Haliburton would be a DA target. I suspect the trade up target would be one of Wiseman, Okongwu, Hayes, Advija, or Okoro. I light Haliburton but think he is over all limited and best suited as a higher minute 6th/7th man. I’m not sold that his frame will allow him to defend at a high level early as a young player in the NBA. I think the more “blue chip “ type prospects will continue to take percent for DA in the lottery.

I don't want to give up RWill in that trade, but would be happy to throw in a future second if they took Poirier.

Mike

« Reply #328 on: September 23, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

I don't want to give up RWill in that trade, but would be happy to throw in a future second if they took Poirier.

Mike

It wouldn’t shock me to see R Williams incorporated in a draft day trade. He struggles with IQ in high leverage situations for a lottery team he could be a great stats guy. I wonder if #14, #30, and R Williams is enough to net #7 maybe even try to include Edwards. A trade like this could also allow the Cs to retain Semi and Wannamaker.

Dream draft

Hayes at #7

Tillman at # 26

Azubuike at #47
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2020, 12:31:22 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I can picture the C's wanting Haliburton....eventual Kemba replacement.  I think safer pick than Hayes...but I certainly don't know that for sure. I think Okongwu is the greater need and he's the guy I'd hope for more than Halliburton, unless the C's have a nifty offseason plan to add to our bigs landscape. 

The Heat series is showing that the C's need another ball handler who can deal with pressure and make the right plays on offense when under duress.