Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 118870 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #390 on: September 29, 2020, 10:54:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Prospects who were linked with the celtics so far:

Tyller Terry:
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/29/nba-boston-celtics-tyrell-terry-is-a-draft-target-stanford-2020-draft/

Xavier Tillman:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/09/29/why-michigan-states-xavier-tillman-is-the-boston-celtics-most-underrated-draft-target/#4d45bf81ad58

LaMelo Ball:
https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2020/09/16/lamelo-ball-rumors-2020-nba-draft-boston-celtics/

UPDATE: DraftExpress’ Jonathan Givony reported that Ball was in Boston for a meeting with Puma, not for a workout with the Celtics.

Can't see how Celts would be interested in Ball.  I mean they wouldn't trade up for him.
Yeah, Ball to Boston is a non-story. Horrible fit here and impossible for us to trade up without giving up Smart
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #391 on: September 30, 2020, 08:38:05 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Prospects who were linked with the celtics so far:

Tyller Terry:
https://celticswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/29/nba-boston-celtics-tyrell-terry-is-a-draft-target-stanford-2020-draft/

Xavier Tillman:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisgrenham/2020/09/29/why-michigan-states-xavier-tillman-is-the-boston-celtics-most-underrated-draft-target/#4d45bf81ad58

LaMelo Ball:
https://lonzowire.usatoday.com/2020/09/16/lamelo-ball-rumors-2020-nba-draft-boston-celtics/

as others have already said nothing to the Ball rumor.

Terry and Tillman are both really interesting picks.

Terry isn't likely to be a contributor as a rookie but has great long term potential. He has reportedly grown about an inch and gained 20lbs since the end of Stanfords season. This growth should put him in the size range of other smaller guards like the Curry's or current Denver backup Morris. The important this is that this growth should help prevent him from being hyper targeted on defense. If just looking at guards in this class who I like the fit with the Cs I would rank them in order 1. Hayes 2. Hampton 3. Maxey 4. Anthony 5. Terry.  I dont include Haliburton because I think he ultimately is more a small wing in the NBA. Where I think Terry will thrive is playing off of Tatum if Tatum and continue his growth as a creator.

Tillman, I have raved about for a while. Simply the best game ready fit for the Celtics out of any player in this class. He would push Kanter and R Williams for the backup center spot from the first day of camp. His swing skill from being a rotational big/low end starter and solid starter will be his shot, if he shoots he is a steal anywhere outside the lottery.       
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #392 on: September 30, 2020, 11:39:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I'm leaning towards

14. G - Terry  - one of the highest bbiq of the draft + one of the top shooters.  Recently added 20 pounds of mass. 
26. F - Tyler Bey - reminds me of Rodman how he can guard 1 to 5 (but sweetspot guarding 2 to 4) + determination.  Looks like a nightmare to play against. Offensive game still has room to grow.
30. G/F - Jay Scrubb - high ceiling prospect
47. C- Nathan Knight - lower div 1 school. But has intriguing two way talent. Defensive player of the year in his division. Can shoot the 3, handle the ball and pass.  Glimpse of LaMarcus Aldridge

Nathan Knight #13 highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWZgOC9n4k

Tyler Bey #1 Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWs-C2MI7fs (Bey vs Toppin matchup).  Bey with game winning assist

« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:48:04 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #393 on: September 30, 2020, 12:20:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I'm leaning towards

14. G - Terry  - one of the highest bbiq of the draft + one of the top shooters.  Recently added 20 pounds of mass. 
26. F - Tyler Bey - reminds me of Rodman how he can guard 1 to 5 (but sweetspot guarding 2 to 4) + determination.  Looks like a nightmare to play against. Offensive game still has room to grow.
30. G/F - Jay Scrubb - high ceiling prospect
47. C- Nathan Knight - lower div 1 school. But has intriguing two way talent. Defensive player of the year in his division. Can shoot the 3, handle the ball and pass.  Glimpse of LaMarcus Aldridge

Nathan Knight #13 highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UWZgOC9n4k

Tyler Bey #1 Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWs-C2MI7fs (Bey vs Toppin matchup).  Bey with game winning assist

last W and M pick late 2nd round didn't turn out too well IIRC. LOL.

« Reply #394 on: September 30, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I'm shooting for the all in trade, all three 1st to Detroit for the 7 if Haliburton is sitting there.  If not, I'm taking the best PG available; Maledon, Hampton, someone?

I've said it before, and people are seeing it now, Walker has  a year or two left and we need to be ready.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #395 on: September 30, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tyrell Terry

The Boston Celtics (who have the 14th, 26th, and 30th picks), Dallas Mavericks (18th) and Milwaukee Bucks (24th) are reportedly interested in the Minneapolis native.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-tyrell-terry-nba-draft-20200929.html

This time around don't make a deal with 76ers

« Reply #396 on: September 30, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm shooting for the all in trade, all three 1st to Detroit for the 7 if Haliburton is sitting there.  If not, I'm taking the best PG available; Maledon, Hampton, someone?

I've said it before, and people are seeing it now, Walker has  a year or two left and we need to be ready.

I agree, and in the modern league the easiest position to translate quickly from college to the pros is guard.

Getting a productive pick and roll scorer on a cheap contract for the next 4 years would be a huge boon to the team trying to contend in the near future.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #397 on: September 30, 2020, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Tyrell Terry

The Boston Celtics (who have the 14th, 26th, and 30th picks), Dallas Mavericks (18th) and Milwaukee Bucks (24th) are reportedly interested in the Minneapolis native.

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-tyrell-terry-nba-draft-20200929.html

This time around don't make a deal with 76ers

This infers that Terry's range will either be 14-24 or 18-26.

Terry at 14, Tillman at 26, then trade 30 and Porier for a pick in the 40s seems like a plausible draft outcome.

Taking Terry at 14 would be a clear break for DA in his pattern of taking elite rank high-school prospects early in draft. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #398 on: September 30, 2020, 02:30:41 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Tom Westerholm, tweeted the following,

Guard prospect/sharp shooter Desmond Bane says he spoke to the Celtics very early on. He believes his shooting and versatility would be a good fit, and compares his "junkyard dog” mentality to Marcus Smart.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #399 on: September 30, 2020, 02:45:49 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Guard prospect/sharp shooter Desmond Bane says he spoke to the Celtics very early on. He believes his shooting and versatility would be a good fit, and compares his "junkyard dog” mentality to Marcus Smart.

Banes will benefit by Tyler Herro's performance, as members of the negative wing span club.

Rollie will have to re-think his player development strategy.

« Reply #400 on: September 30, 2020, 02:48:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Banes will benefit by Tyler Herro's performance, as members of the negative wing span club.

yes and no

Herro moves much better than Bane

Bane doesn't have the 1 on 1 skills or separation of Herro

Bane at the end of the day could end up becoming a better 3 pt shooting Jae Crowder

which is a pretty good role player off the bench in the NBA

« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2020, 02:55:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

yes and no

Bane at the end of the day could end up becoming a better 3 pt shooting Jae Crowder

You are missing my point. Both guys have negative wingspans, which causes a drop in draft stock.  If Tyler Herro had longer arms, he would have probably been a top 5-10 pick.   Where were you on drafting Herro last season, Triboy?

« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Man, I just looked up Bane's stats.

3PA/game by year--2.0, 3.9, 4.3, 6.5--with respective percentages--.380, .461, .425, .442. That's a real track record of success in outside shooting. His shot looks really good and effortless too.

« Reply #403 on: September 30, 2020, 03:04:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Terry is very intriguing. I didn't know much about him so I began watching videos, but he moves extremely well, can hit from anywhere, can score in and around the paint, and even has solid vision. I very much doubt he will ever reach the level of Trae Young, but his highlight videos are much more comparable to Young than, say, Herro. I am not even put off by his size - looks quite a bit longer than Carsen Edwards and has a much more dynamic offensive game. Very in control.

« Reply #404 on: September 30, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

yes and no

You are missing my point. Both guys have negative wingspans, which causes a drop in draft stock.  If Tyler Herro had longer arms, he would have probably been a top 5-10 pick.   Where were you on drafting Herro last season, Triboy?

I don't get your point outside of negative wingspan comparable

Herro is starting calibre PG/SG that is capable of taking over games as we witnessed

He moves and runs very well.  Underrated hops also

Bane moves ok but at the NBA level could have his issues as a 1 on 1 defender

His jump shot is nice but release is lower than you would like. And he does need an extra half a sec to square up

I wouldn't mind picking Bane at 30 or 47