Author Topic: Chad Ford Big Board 1.0  (Read 6007 times)

Chad Ford Big Board 1.0
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Ford just released his 1.0 big board on his podcast. This is his top 30 with the ranges he has gathered from talking to NBA teams. As is typical with Ford this board is based on Intel from teams mixed with media experts and a little of his opinion.

1   Ball 1-5
2   Edwards 1-5
3    Wiseman 1-8
4   Hayes 3-10
5   Haliburton 3-10
6   Toppin 2-12
7   Okongwu
8   Vassell top 10
9   Okoro 5-15
10   P Williams 8-20 most teams mid lottery
11   RJ Hampton 8-22
12   Nesmith 10-20
13   Lewis Jr
14   Anthony
15   Avdija 8-25
16   Paul Reed 13-35
17   Terry 12-35
18   Maxey 12-30
19   J Smith 15-30
20   Jah Ramsey 18-30
21   Poku 12-30
22   Achiuwa 15-30
23   Dotson 18-35
24   S Bey
25   Maledon 18-30 maybe a stash
26   J Green 20-40
27   Hughes 22-40
28   McDaniels
29   Flynn
30   Bane

The things that jump out to me are that P Williams isn't likely making it to #17,  that Maxey may be available at #17, and he mentions Maledon as a potential draft and stash.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Chad Ford Big Board 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 11:09:34 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I don't love the short term roster fit of drafting Maxey but he checks the boxes for a successful DA draft pick and could fit well in a future more Tatum centric roster.

was the #13 ranked player by espn in his class

has a strong frame and a +5 wingspan

struggled as a 3pt shooter in college ( in line with Smart, Langford, Brown and Rozier) but shows promise

Maxey could be an interesting fit for this team. He is a physical on ball defender who does a good job fighting through screens and by most accounts is a very competitive player. This could earn him early minutes on the court and make him a interesting 2nd unit back-court mate for Marcus 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 11:17:42 AM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 11:43:16 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
based on this projection, this year's draft has a group of about 1 to 8 players near the top. but after that it seems flat/level. so from 10 to 30 it is pick whomever you want.

i guess if you have to have poorer draft picks, this is the draft for it.

as for celtics' #17, it seems to be as good as the #10 pick. or as bad as the #30.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
I don't love the short term roster fit of drafting Maxey but he checks the boxes for a successful DA draft pick and could fit well in a future more Tatum centric roster.

struggled as a 3pt shooter in college ( in line with Smart, Langford, Brown and Rozier) but shows promise

Maxey could be an interesting fit for this team. He is a physical on ball defender who does a good job fighting through screens and by most accounts is a very competitive player. This could earn him early minutes on the court and make him a interesting 2nd unit back-court mate for Marcus

It’s interesting to me that players like Smart and Brown; who didn’t have a college 3-pt shot, were able to get enough Court time to develop their NBA 3-pt shot due to their defensive abilities, while players like Hunter, Young, and now possibly Carsen Edwards, who all had a college 3-pt shot, weren’t able to transition.

Maybe that is the better strategy? Don’t expect that the guy with the NCAA-3 will be able to make the NBA-3. Instead develop the guy that can play NBA defense and hope he can be trained to shoot?

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 12:54:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

It’s interesting to me that players like Smart and Brown; who didn’t have a college 3-pt shot, were able to get enough Court time to develop their NBA 3-pt shot due to their defensive abilities, while players like Hunter, Young, and now possibly Carsen Edwards, who all had a college 3-pt shot, weren’t able to transition.

Maybe that is the better strategy? Don’t expect that the guy with the NCAA-3 will be able to make the NBA-3. Instead develop the guy that can play NBA defense and hope he can be trained to shoot?
Smart and Brown were top 6 picks not mid to late 1st round or 2nd round (in Edwards case).  At the end of the day, talent is what matters and you quite simply have way more talent if you are a top 6 pick than if you go much later.  Draft position isn't a be all tell all of course as plenty of top 6 picks are busts and plenty of later 1st/early 2nd round picks pan out, but you definitely want to play the percentages on those.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Smart and Brown were top 6 picks not mid to late 1st round or 2nd round (in Edwards case).  At the end of the day, talent is what matters and you quite simply have way more talent if you are a top 6 pick than if you go much later.  Draft position isn't a be all tell all of course as plenty of top 6 picks are busts and plenty of later 1st/early 2nd round picks pan out, but you definitely want to play the percentages on those.

Let's be real.  Carsen Edwards has talent.  His issue is his height not talent.  If he was 6'3 he'd have been drafted in the lottery.  For some reason he just forgot how to shoot this year but with how smooth his delivery is I believe it will get better.  His issue with shooting is hes had to change it a bit because guys close a lot quicker in the NBA then College and his release has struggled a bit because of it.  This is more mental then physical but if we are comparing talent Carsen has a ton of it.  He's just short.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 02:24:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

prep2pros podcast had an interesting take on this. On the podcast they discussed how each team's coaching staff have developmental strengths and those strengths reflect on the prospects who they develop. They specifically pointed out how the Celtics have been really good at improving the perimeter shooting of their prospects while other teams may be better suited for developing a player physically.

With that in mind I do think its a better strategy for the Celtics to assume they can improve a players 3pt shot and over look that short coming in prospects.

In terms of defense earning a prospect minutes I think there are a couple of layers to this. DA has had good luck drafting players who possess the physical tools to be elite defenders. With those tools in mind I think the Cs coaching staff does a good job developing players on defense. Langford for example was not highly touted as a defender coming into the season and now he looks like a difference maker on that end.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 03:11:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Let's be real.  Carsen Edwards has talent.  His issue is his height not talent.  If he was 6'3 he'd have been drafted in the lottery.  For some reason he just forgot how to shoot this year but with how smooth his delivery is I believe it will get better.  His issue with shooting is hes had to change it a bit because guys close a lot quicker in the NBA then College and his release has struggled a bit because of it.  This is more mental then physical but if we are comparing talent Carsen has a ton of it.  He's just short.
Short matters a lot though.  And he shot 35.5% his final year at Purdue.  It wasn't like he was a guy that never missed.  35.5% is certainly not bad, but it also isn't world beating either.  Obviously the Big Ten is quality competition, but there is just such a huge jump from college to pros, especially in size, physicality, etc. that Edwards is always going to struggle in the NBA because contrary to your assertions his talent is lacking (Darius Garland is basically the same size as Edwards as an example).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 03:17:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I'm surprised he has mocked S Bey at 24.  Thought we would consider him at 17.  Good 3 and D guy; if he slips to 26, gotta consider grabbing him.

Hoping Kira Lewis is around at 17; would be great guy to groom to take over for Kemba in a couple 2 or 3 years.

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2020, 05:42:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
I'm surprised he has mocked S Bey at 24.  Thought we would consider him at 17.  Good 3 and D guy; if he slips to 26, gotta consider grabbing him.

Hoping Kira Lewis is around at 17; would be great guy to groom to take over for Kemba in a couple 2 or 3 years.

I think there are some concerns with what level of perimeter defender Bey will actually be. Even with that he is a solid pick anywhere outside the lottery with his size, shooting, and the vill pedigree he should at least be a rotational player.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Ford just released his 1.0 big board on his podcast. This is his top 30 with the ranges he has gathered from talking to NBA teams. As is typical with Ford this board is based on Intel from teams mixed with media experts and a little of his opinion.

1   Ball 1-5
2   Edwards 1-5
3    Wiseman 1-8
4   Hayes 3-10
5   Haliburton 3-10
6   Toppin 2-12
7   Okongwu
8   Vassell top 10
9   Okoro 5-15
11   RJ Hampton 8-22
12   Nesmith 10-20
13   Lewis Jr
14   Anthony
15   Avdija 8-25
16   Paul Reed 13-35
17   Terry 12-35
18   Maxey 12-30
19   J Smith 15-30
20   Jah Ramsey 18-30
21   Poku 12-30
22   Achiuwa 15-30
23   Dotson 18-35
24   S Bey
26   J Green 20-40
27   Hughes 22-40
28   McDaniels
29   Flynn
30   Bane

The things that jump out to me are that P Williams isn't likely making it to #17,  that Maxey may be available at #17, and he mentions Maledon as a potential draft and stash.

If this is for real

Take Maledon at 17

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

1   Ball 1-5
2   Edwards 1-5
3    Wiseman 1-8
4   Hayes 3-10
5   Haliburton 3-10
6   Toppin 2-12
7   Okongwu
8   Vassell top 10
9   Okoro 5-15
11   RJ Hampton 8-22
12   Nesmith 10-20
13   Lewis Jr
14   Anthony
15   Avdija 8-25
16   Paul Reed 13-35
17   Terry 12-35
18   Maxey 12-30
19   J Smith 15-30
20   Jah Ramsey 18-30
21   Poku 12-30
22   Achiuwa 15-30
23   Dotson 18-35
24   S Bey
26   J Green 20-40
27   Hughes 22-40
28   McDaniels
29   Flynn
30   Bane

If this is for real

Take Maledon at 17

I agree if Maledon is available at 17 and willing to stash he becomes a really solid pick. Would give Cs a long term pg prospect and help with roster crunch
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 09:13:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

1   Ball 1-5
2   Edwards 1-5
3    Wiseman 1-8
4   Hayes 3-10
5   Haliburton 3-10
6   Toppin 2-12
7   Okongwu
8   Vassell top 10
9   Okoro 5-15
11   RJ Hampton 8-22
12   Nesmith 10-20
13   Lewis Jr
14   Anthony
15   Avdija 8-25
16   Paul Reed 13-35
17   Terry 12-35
18   Maxey 12-30
19   J Smith 15-30
20   Jah Ramsey 18-30
21   Poku 12-30
22   Achiuwa 15-30
23   Dotson 18-35
24   S Bey
26   J Green 20-40
27   Hughes 22-40
28   McDaniels
29   Flynn
30   Bane

If this is for real

Take Maledon at 17

I agree if Maledon is available at 17 and willing to stash he becomes a really solid pick. Would give Cs a long term pg prospect and help with roster crunch

If this is real, Maledon could be available at 26.

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 09:52:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

1   Ball 1-5
2   Edwards 1-5
3    Wiseman 1-8
4   Hayes 3-10
5   Haliburton 3-10
6   Toppin 2-12
7   Okongwu
8   Vassell top 10
9   Okoro 5-15
11   RJ Hampton 8-22
12   Nesmith 10-20
13   Lewis Jr
14   Anthony
15   Avdija 8-25
16   Paul Reed 13-35
17   Terry 12-35
18   Maxey 12-30
19   J Smith 15-30
20   Jah Ramsey 18-30
21   Poku 12-30
22   Achiuwa 15-30
23   Dotson 18-35
24   S Bey
26   J Green 20-40
27   Hughes 22-40
28   McDaniels
29   Flynn
30   Bane

If this is for real

Take Maledon at 17

exactly + draft and stash option

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2020, 10:37:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Anybody have access to ESPN +??

Who have Givony picked for the Celtics? (recent mock)