Author Topic: Waived players  (Read 7300 times)

Re: Waived players
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 01:33:40 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Disgusted that Ainge waived W.Bynum in order to keep Pressey.

Will Bynum was a top 10-15 backup PG in the league for last few years. Pressey is a borderline case to even be in the league. Awful.
Only reason for it is if Bynum made it clear he wanted no part of being in Boston.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 01:45:47 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Will Bynum was a top 10-15 backup PG in the league for last few years. Pressey is a borderline case to even be in the league. Awful.

Really, disgusted ? Come on now.

Pretty simple math.

One guy is 31. The other is 23.

You landed one guy for Joel Anthony. That should tell you something right there.
The other guy is still developing. You keep that development going considering what you've seen so far.

The entire move was to save on contracts & give you the flexibility to save a roster spot for a guy you liked in place of Anthony (Powell).

Good move overall.

Even if Bynum was kept, Turner would see the minutes over him at the point. Bynum would need an injury to Rondo or Smart for him to even have a short role. It really isn't something to be disgusted about.

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 01:49:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Pretty simple math.

You landed one guy for Joel Anthony. That should tell you something right there.
The other guy is still developing. You keep that development going considering what you've seen so far.

The entire move was to save on contracts & give you the flexibility to save a roster spot for a guy you liked in place of Anthony (Powell).

Good move overall.

Even if Bynum was kept, Turner would see the minutes over him at the point. Bynum would need an injury to Rondo or Smart for him to even have a short role. It really isn't something to be disgusted about.

Pressey is terrible but isn't our goal to be terrible too? If we are looking at an 8th seed or lottery bound it makes sense to keep Pressey as Bynum  would add veteran experience to make us better.

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I'd have kept Bynum purely to move him before the deadline to a team needing to shore up its PG rotation. Or to use his expiring contract as filler in a larger deal. Pressey can't really help in either capacity.

DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:43 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Pretty simple math.

Good move overall.

Pressey is terrible but isn't our goal to be terrible too? If we are looking at an 8th seed or lottery bound it makes sense to keep Pressey as Bynum  would add veteran experience to make us better.

Pressey, Bynum, neither are seeing the floor with Rondo, Smart, and Turner as your point rotation. You keep the 23 yr old over the 31 yr old. The 23 yr old has a shot in a couple years to get even better, just like Bynum did after his first run as a Celtic.

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The decision to keep Pressey was made back in July when he was not waived before his contract became guaranteed for this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Pretty simple math.

Good move overall.

I wouldn't go so far as to call Pressey terrible but if you actually think keeping Bynum as our 4th PG was going to move the needle and "make us better" then you are either drastically overrating Bynum in terms of talent and expected court time OR you think the 3 guys in front of him on the depth chart really suck and/or will be chronically injured.  I don't see Rondo, Smart and Turner sucking nor missing any extended time due to injury.  As it is, I'd be surprised if Pressey doesn't dress for a number of the games due to the 12-man limit for each game.

As others have said, Bynum's acquisition was solely for the purpose of waiving a smaller contract than Anthony's.

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I wouldn't go so far as to call Pressey terrible
He is quite terrible indeed. It's just that since last season, terrible seems to have become the norm around here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 04:40:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
It's probably fair to call Pressey Austin Rivers-level terrible.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 04:43:39 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Pretty simple math.

Good move overall.

Pressey, Bynum, neither are seeing the floor with Rondo, Smart, and Turner as your point rotation. You keep the 23 yr old over the 31 yr old. The 23 yr old has a shot in a couple years to get even better, just like Bynum did after his first run as a Celtic.

This is all that needs to be said.  This is a rebuilding team with a D-League affiliation.  You don't get rid of the younger prospect you can develop in the D-League just to keep a maxed out, 31-year-old who won't even be playing in hopes of trading him, despite the fact that he has very minimal trade value.

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
He is quite terrible indeed. It's just that since last season, terrible seems to have become the norm around here.

What?  The undrafted rookie with the relatively undistinguished college career was terrible in his first year in the league?  Shocking.

Mike

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

What?  The undrafted rookie with the relatively undistinguished college career was terrible in his first year in the league?  Shocking.
I don't find it shocking. Do you?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."