Author Topic: Woj: Jrue to Celtics  (Read 51819 times)

President Red, Roy H. and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Woj: Jrue to Celtics
« Reply #120 on: October 01, 2023, 02:22:20 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Jrue is old, hate aggressive trades for 30+ old guards.

« Reply #121 on: October 01, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 231

Me too. Guards hit the wall hard in their mid thirties, with little to no exceptions outside of Curry and CP3.

« Reply #122 on: October 01, 2023, 02:25:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I wonder what other players Stevens could have gotten for that trade package. That is a pretty big trade package.

Could he have gotten a younger 3rd star to pair with the Jays long term? Could he have gotten an athletic PF with defensive size to allow the Jays to stay at SG & SF?

Was a 33yr old guard the right guy to go all-in with through this trade package?

« Reply #123 on: October 01, 2023, 02:26:42 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3019
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm guessing they are keeping Timelord and not trading for Holiday if he was healthy and more durable, which he wasn't. Also, they must be high on some of their new guys (Walsh, Brissett; Still have Kornet, Hauser + PP) so they aren't too worried about the bench.

I still expect CBS to add a big man before the season, OR he might be fine just rolling with what they have and instead just using the future picks (all those 2nd rounders) at the deadline to acquire a big man (or through the buyout market). I mean lets be real, for this team all that really matters and what we care about is playoffs. They can survive the regular season even with the likes of Hauser, Kornet, etc.

If CBS is able to extend BOTH White + Holiday in addition to having Tatum, Brown and Porzingis locked up, then WOW. That'd be a helluva job by CBS. White and Holiday (especially Holiday) kinda strike me as guys who would be willing to take a little less to stay, just like Horford and KP. White/Holiday have made a lot to this point as well. Not like this is their first contract extension coming up in their careers
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #124 on: October 01, 2023, 02:29:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Me too. Guards hit the wall hard in their mid thirties, with little to no exceptions outside of Curry and CP3.

And Jrue is not a high skilled player. He is a solid skilled player but not a high skill one. That is why he has been vulnerable to underperformance in the playoffs. Why his scoring efficiency has gone into the tank on several occassions in his career. He is not a pure shooter yet he relies heavily on jump-shooting for his scoring efficiency because he rarely gets to the FT line for easy points.

On the plus side, big guards age better than small guards (better able to maintain their defense & create separation to get their shot off / can shoot over smaller guards). On the down side, it is the high skill guards that age best and that is not Jrue.

« Reply #125 on: October 01, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
No smart meant no lobs to rob which is the most he did on offense.  Plus he’s hurt all the time.

« Reply #126 on: October 01, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I wonder what other players Stevens could have gotten for that trade package. That is a pretty big trade package.

Could he have gotten a younger 3rd star to pair with the Jays long term? Could he have gotten an athletic PF with defensive size to allow the Jays to stay at SG & SF?

Was a 33yr old guard the right guy to go all-in with through this trade package?
Don’t they already have a third star in Porzingis though? Wasn’t that the entire point of that trade? Balance out the roster and add a talented big man?

« Reply #127 on: October 01, 2023, 02:32:36 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 685
  • MASTER OF PANIC

And Jrue is not a high skilled player. He is a solid skilled player but not a high skill one. That is why he has been vulnerable to underperformance in the playoffs. Why his scoring efficiency has gone into the tank on several occassions in his career. He is not a pure shooter yet he relies heavily on jump-shooting for his scoring efficiency because he rarely gets to the FT line for easy points.

On the plus side, big guards age better than small guards (better able to maintain their defense & create separation to get their shot off / can shoot over smaller guards). On the down side, it is the high skill guards that age best and that is not Jrue.

We get it. You don't like the deal.

« Reply #128 on: October 01, 2023, 02:32:51 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Is Jrue that good?

Yes. He's better than Marcus Smart at this point, even at 33 yo. He is one of the best defensive point guards in the game. I love the combo of Jrue/Dwhite. Both provide needed grit.

You want to go to war with guys that can play defense. Both Brogdon and Timelord show promise in that area, but neither can be relied upon to be healthy. It's time to make a run at it. Porzingis and Holiday are great additions to this squad.

« Reply #129 on: October 01, 2023, 02:32:58 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Don’t they already have a third star in Porzingis though? Wasn’t that the entire point of that trade? Balance out the roster and add a talented big man?

Yes. I was thinking of two alternative paths there. A better long term 3rd option next to the Jays than Porzingis (who I am not particularly sold on) or an Aaron Gordon type figure at forward. Sort of how he was the final piece of the Nuggets core to put them over the top. And young enough to stay alongside Jokic, J Murray, MPJ for a long time.

With a big forward being more valuable than another combo guard type player. Allowing the team to play big rather than small.

« Reply #130 on: October 01, 2023, 02:33:11 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 231

With a package like that, I would have hoped for a guy like Siakam, DeJounte Murray, or Darius Garland. All younger and better than Holiday.

« Reply #131 on: October 01, 2023, 02:36:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2544

I don’t think Brogdon has any value to a non-contender. He’s an old 30 and always an injury concern.   And Rob is a risk for whoever trades for him. League knows that he’ll be injured at some point every year and doesn’t appear likely to have a long career. Just means his value isn’t all that high given what he can do on the court.  The 2 firsts bother me though (should be one) - nicely done Portland. 

Re: Jrue’s age, it’s an ok gamble that he’ll be very good for 3 years. I give him at 33 a better chance to play more games over the next 3 years than Rob or Brogdon.

Meanwhile, Brad has added two all-star quality players without losing either Jay. I wouldn’t have thought he’d be able to do that.

« Reply #132 on: October 01, 2023, 02:37:15 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
One blockbuster trade to start the off-season.
Second blockbuster trade to start training camp.

Fun way to start the season. Certainly ramps up the excitement.

« Reply #133 on: October 01, 2023, 02:37:29 PM »

Offline theswitch

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 150
The underappreciated piece of Jrue is he’s that good but that humble. He’d be fine with five points a game but can give you 20 if you need it. He can close out games as a fourth option but be a first or second option with the bench unit. That’s what those other stars lack. And it’s what Smart lacked (the bench unit point). He flexes for what you need. The best locker room guy in the league.

So you can run him with the starters. And then run him and Porzingis with the bench guys. He will scale up or down to contribute in the way you need him to contribute.

You can get another guy with this package but you’ll create more problems. Jrue is the picture perfect 4th best player on a team.
2023 Historical Draft: Toronto Raptors

Point Guard: Anfernee Hardaway, Fat Lever, Terrell Brandon
Shooting Guard: Paul Westphal, Paul Pressey
Small Forward: Marques Johnson, Danny Granger
Power Forward: Jermaine O'Neal, Bobby Jones, Kiki Vandeweghe
Center: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2023, 02:38:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3019
  • On To Banner 18!

With a package like that, I would have hoped for a guy like Siakam, DeJounte Murray, or Darius Garland. All younger and better than Holiday.

I don't think those teams would have taken that package. Brogdon still has some injury issues, and it sounds like Portland is going to send him to another team anyways (maybe the Clippers). For POR it was all about the picks and/or young player(s), and they got one with Timelord.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller