Author Topic: 2012/2013 Champions League  (Read 39239 times)

Re: 2012/2013 Champions League
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 05:02:30 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
What an effort by the Bhoys!

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 05:15:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Really impressed with Shaktar. They are a [dang] good team.

Conceded two sloppy goals (bad back pass and keeper made a bad clearance) and a third off of a set piece (corner). If they hadn't made such basic errors, they would've beaten Chelsea again here in Stamford Bridge.

That William player was particularly impressive. I'd like to see him move to a bigger league.

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I hate seeing Van Persie score for Man Utd. It just feels wrong to see him there and playing so well after being at Arsenal for 8 years.

Heartbreaking

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 04:35:24 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I on the other hand am thrilled to see him next to Rooney :D

The Celtic crowd yesterday was amazing

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 03:08:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Juventus have a really impressive team. I like their shape. Resolute defensively + lots of movement and passing when attacking.

This is shaping up to be a very good match. Juve vs Chelsea. Both teams going for the win.

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Juve is very solid the only thing missing to put them over the top is a player to do the extradordinary .... they had it in Zidane they had it in Del Piero

Although i don`t like Chelsea the trio Hazard-Mata-Oscar is a delight to watch !

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
[dang] deflections! That puts Juve firmly in the drivers seat.

I don't see Chelsea coming back in this one. In real danger of getting knocked out in the group phase now. Juventus are very impressive. Genuine threat to win the competition.

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 04:13:28 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
[dang] deflections! That puts Juve firmly in the drivers seat.

I don't see Chelsea coming back in this one. In real danger of getting knocked out in the group phase now. Juventus are very impressive. Genuine threat to win the competition.

Very disappointing way to bow out, will probably be the first holders to not make it past the group stage.

Di Matteo's goose is now cooked. Pep Guardiola will be coach next season.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Genuine threat to win the competition.

well chelsea did it with much less ..so why not

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Well the only 'positive' I can think of as a Chelsea fan is that at least you have to have won the Champions League to be the first Champions League holder to go out in the group stage :-[
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 03:00:21 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RpRKIzLCTE

Luiz Adriano is a disgrace. There's really nothing else to say. Shame on him.

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 05:36:24 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Oh my, wow ... Chelsea have just sacked Di Matteo.

Word is that they are talking to Rafa Benitez about taking over as the caretaker manager. Probably because Rafa had so much success with Fernando Torres at Liverpool. To be honest, no the biggest fan of Rafa overall but the man is a tactical genius and I would love to see what he'd do with the likes of Hazard, Oscar and Juan Mata. That could be something special.

Di Matteo obviously didn't deserve to be fired but I think, like Villas-Boas, things were likely to end up in that direction anyway even if Di Matteo was given more time. The team was simply too undisciplined/disorganized defensively.

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 06:36:03 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Well the only 'positive' I can think of as a Chelsea fan is that at least you have to have won the Champions League to be the first Champions League holder to go out in the group stage :-[

Well it`s still a long way to beat liverpool`s achievement... they won the CL but failed to even qualify to the next competition .. thank god uefa gave them a hand :D

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • A Celtic Fan
UEFA is looking at Adriano now. Good. You don't pull a trick like that, no matter who you are.

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 05:19:00 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Champions League round of 16 draw:

Galatasaray v FC Schalke
Celtic v Juventus
Arsenal v Bayern Munich
Shakhtar Donetsk v Borussia Dortmund
AC Milan v Barcelona
Real Madrid v Manchester United
Valencia v Paris St Germain
FC Porto v Malaga

My picks to win are the teams in red.

That Manchester United vs Real Madrid is the tie of the last 16. That should be a great matchup. Both have the talent to be legitimate contenders to win the competition. Neither team firing all cylinders just yet. Could go either way.

I thought Malaga were going to fall apart after their difficult summer but I was wrong. They have been tremendous so far. I am going to take them over Porto.

I think PSG and Barcelona should beat Valencia and Barcelona comfortably.

I also expect Juventus to win their tie against Celtic. Celtic could make that an uneasy two legged affair for the Italians though. Celtic Park is a very difficult place to play. One of the most intimidating / overwhelming crowds in Europe. They give their team a real advantage at home. And Celtic have been very good defensively in the Champions League so they could make life uncomfortable for Juventus despite Juve being a much better side.

Shakhtar and Dortmund is a great tie. I was really impressed with Shakhtar in the group stages. I think they have a decent shot at beating Dortmund who I think are there for taking defensively. Dortmund do have great attacking talent though so I'd give them the edge here. It could be close though.

Schalke are doing well. Potent group of attackers. I'll take them over Galatassary. If they sell Huntelaar in the winter transfer window, this tie could become more hotly contested.

The Arsenal vs Bayern Munich match is one of my favourites. Maybe my second favourite tie after United and Madrid. There should be lots of good attacking football on display from both sides. Bayern have far more talent though and should win out.