Author Topic: Yabu comparison Paul Milsap  (Read 6584 times)

Re: Yabu comparison Paul Milsap
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
A more apt Yabu comparison for me is the bottom of the ocean because we know little how Yabu will do against NBA regulars as we do about the bottom of the ocean.
its wet.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 11:52:32 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
That 6-8 bulky body with a perimeter orientated game. Matchup problem with perimeter skills at PF and too big for SFs. Both bad defensive players. Lack awareness defensively. Sub-par passers & so-so rebounders. Most of their value comes from scoring. .

The fly in the ointment here is does he have the speed to get by the guys when they follow him out on the perimeter.  So far, I do not see elite speed though he is light on his feet he still has to move that bulk around peeps which is a challenge in itself.

He has great footwork - it sounds like you're looking at his one-on-one skills with the ball; he probably doesn't need great speed to be effective at that, as long as his footwork is good.

Speed - especially laterally - is critical on defense, though again the footwork is a great asset.

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2017, 12:47:34 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Yabu reminds me of Kleiza
Now there is a nameni have not heard in a while. I don't think Kleiza was as nimble as the dancing bear.

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
KGLL was simply pointing out a best case scenario for Yabusele and showing comparisons in their builds, not saying he is definitely the next Millsap. Draymond was always far-fetched since he is a defensive savant with incredible passing ability.

If everything went right for Yabusele, I see Millsap as a more suitable comparison than Draymond. Again, if everything went exactly right.

TP Jambr

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Paul Milsap

Height no shoes 6' 6.25" 258 pounds 7' 1.5" wingspan 8'9" SR

Yabu
Measured in the Summer of 2015 at 6'7" without shoes, 7'1.5" wingspan and 8'9" standing reach.

So there body's are very similar. Both viewed as undersized scoring forwards with plus Athleticism and shooting ability and extra strong.

Milsap turned out to be a great defender he's worlds better than Yabu but probably a better best case scenario than Draymond Green. Yabu will never be Green, but he could be poor man's Milsap.

Good find. Almost exactly the same. Makes you think - I for one didn't think of them being so physically alike.

Yabu's big butt looks like he's got post-up potential.  In today's game he'll have to pass out of the post - that looks possible for him. If he can guard backup 5's, and especially if he can defensive rebound like a big, then he's that much more valuable and can perhaps get in the rotation.

KGLL - yet another thread of yours worth reading through. Well done, friend.

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 12:43:19 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
A more apt Yabu comparison for me is the bottom of the ocean because we know little how Yabu will do against NBA regulars as we do about the bottom of the ocean.
its wet.  ;D

And dark. :laugh:

On a more serious note, the fact that Yabu bears (pun intended) a striking resemblance to Anthony Bennett - well, at least to me, anyway - doesn't exactly inspire much confidence :-\. We should have taken Caris LeVert, instead.  Ugh.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:56:37 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2017, 12:49:15 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Paul Milsap

Yabu
Measured in the Summer of 2015 at 6'7" without shoes, 7'1.5" wingspan and 8'9" standing reach.

So there body's are very similar. Both viewed as undersized scoring forwards with plus Athleticism and shooting ability and extra strong.

Milsap turned out to be a great defender he's worlds better than Yabu but probably a better best case scenario than Draymond Green. Yabu will never be Green, but he could be poor man's Milsap.

Good find. Almost exactly the same. Makes you think - I for one didn't think of them being so physically alike.

Yabu's big butt looks like he's got post-up potential.  In today's game he'll have to pass out of the post - that looks possible for him. If he can guard backup 5's, and especially if he can defensive rebound like a big, then he's that much more valuable and can perhaps get in the rotation.

TP Painted. I forgot to add Yabu is 270 pounds and you can see the difference. I think Yabu is more explosive jumping than Milsap is now as an older player, but Yabu was criticized for not having good second Hops in predraft talk.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2017, 12:53:09 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Pass whatever your smoking to max and I... :)

You don't think it's a better, maximum upside comparison than Draymond Green? That one always perplexed me. Totally different players.

Yabu can't play a lick of defense. Why would you compare him to guys who derive the bulk of their value from their defensive acumen?
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2017, 01:15:18 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

You don't think it's a better, maximum upside comparison than Draymond Green? That one always perplexed me. Totally different players.

Yabu can't play a lick of defense. Why would you compare him to guys who derive the bulk of their value from their defensive acumen?

In some of his pre-draft videos his defense was so bad I would have literally compared him to a chair...not even middle school level.

Fortunately, he's not always that bad. Still, he'll struggle against taller bigs under the boards.

Maybe the physical comparisons to Milsap are favorable, lets wait to see how he performs.   

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Paul Milsap

Yabu

TP Painted. I forgot to add Yabu is 270 pounds ...

The difference is all in his butt.

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think Millsap is a better comparison than Draymond. All of Draymond's strengths (defense, passing) and Yabu's weaknesses (defense, especially).

Obviously Millsap is a terrific defender as well and Yabu would do very well to improve to the point where we could talk about him in Millsap's league on that end, but offensively they're a lot more similar than Yabu is to Draymond.

Maybe this is Celtic bias but I see some Antoine Walker in Yabu's combination of size and quick feet. Hopefully he's a more consistent shooter and stays in shape.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2017, 11:26:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How do you know for sure?

he has the potential to be a versatile defender....

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How do you know for sure?

he has the potential to be a versatile defender....

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 12:06:58 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Paul Milsap

Yabu

TP Painted. I forgot to add Yabu is 270 pounds ...

The difference is all in his butt.
No kidding!  For such similar measurables, they do have different body types.  Millsap carries his weight better, more normal proportions.  Guys like Yabu jump out to me as injury risks.

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 12:37:03 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Milsap would not be a bad player for Yabusele to try and emulate.  Whether he has the ability to achieve the same level of success is far from known but we'll see.