Author Topic: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs  (Read 44744 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
The more clips I watch, the more I'm impressed with his mobility for someone as strong as he is. He's really strong but he has quick feet. I think he's going to fit Brad's defense really well.

He has another level motor also. Like Smart

He initiates contact

The best thing I like about the guy is coming out with rebounds. Not just boxing out but boxing out and coming out with clutch rebounds on both ends

One of the best O rebounders in the league

Still kind of surprised Lebron didnt want him on the lakers over Harrell. Maybe they were looking for more scoring and intel on the Clippers
like Smart he will frustrate the crap out of you.

If Thompson frustrates the crap out of us, imagine how fast the fans would have turned on Turner. Boston fans appreciate effort - that's why they are so in love with Smart.
Turner gives effort he just isn't a great player.  Thompson doesn't give effort all the time.  That is what is frustrating with him because you know he can do more.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2020, 09:36:54 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
The more clips I watch, the more I'm impressed with his mobility for someone as strong as he is. He's really strong but he has quick feet. I think he's going to fit Brad's defense really well.

He initiates contact

The best thing I like about the guy is coming out with rebounds. Not just boxing out but boxing out and coming out with clutch rebounds on both ends

Still kind of surprised Lebron didnt want him on the lakers over Harrell. Maybe they were looking for more scoring and intel on the Clippers

If Thompson frustrates the crap out of us, imagine how fast the fans would have turned on Turner. Boston fans appreciate effort - that's why they are so in love with Smart.
Turner gives effort he just isn't a great player.  Thompson doesn't give effort all the time.  That is what is frustrating with him because you know he can do more.

Did you flip that accidentally? Because everything I've watched or read about two players is the opposite of what you said.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:47:47 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

He initiates contact

Every time I've seen Thompson he can't do more.  He looks like he maximizes he skill set.  Maybe he doesn't bring it quite as much when he's on a lottery team but the numbers are the same or better in that situation. 

« Reply #198 on: November 25, 2020, 11:46:32 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

He initiates contact

Did you flip that accidentally? Because everything I've watched or read about two players is the opposite of what you said.

Exactly what I was thinking. Turner is the lazier, but more talented player. TT is the more hardworking, but less skilled player.

- LilRip

« Reply #199 on: November 25, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #200 on: November 25, 2020, 01:36:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

He initiates contact

Exactly what I was thinking. Turner is the lazier, but more talented player. TT is the more hardworking, but less skilled player.

TT is a hardworking player when his head is right. When it is not, he is downright lazy. He coasts through games and he does not have enough talent to be effective when he coasts. It hugely annoying when it happens and it can last for weeks (not just a single game or off night).

Myles Turner I put more down to IQ than effort but yeah - whatever words you chose in an effort to describe him, there is definitely a Jeff Green sort of issue there (in terms of under-performance, annoyance with actions/in-action).

Note: TT could get away with those lazy spells better if where 2-3 inches taller but when you are undersized and low-skilled you gotta out-work the other guy. Simple as that. And when you are not working, you are not helping your team.

2nd Note: I am very happy with the TT signing - to be clear. I am delighted we got him. He is a good addition. Just do not expect perfection (in terms of effort) from him. There is a reason he was available on the MLE and the reason is what Moranis is getting at up above. It is because TT is not always the hard-working player he is made out to be. When he that player, he is a difference maker out there. But too many times he is not and that is why nobody made him a bigger financial offer. His effort is not consistent enough to justify the expense. Hence the MLE and why were able to get him.

« Reply #201 on: November 25, 2020, 02:42:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

He initiates contact

TT is a hardworking player when his head is right. When it is not, he is downright lazy. He coasts through games and he does not have enough talent to be effective when he coasts. It hugely annoying when it happens and it can last for weeks (not just a single game or off night).

Myles Turner I put more down to IQ than effort but yeah - whatever words you chose in an effort to describe him, there is definitely a Jeff Green sort of issue there (in terms of under-performance, annoyance with actions/in-action).

Note: TT could get away with those lazy spells better if where 2-3 inches taller but when you are undersized and low-skilled you gotta out-work the other guy. Simple as that. And when you are not working, you are not helping your team.

2nd Note: I am very happy with the TT signing - to be clear. I am delighted we got him. He is a good addition. Just do not expect perfection (in terms of effort) from him. There is a reason he was available on the MLE and the reason is what Moranis is getting at up above. It is because TT is not always the hard-working player he is made out to be. When he that player, he is a difference maker out there. But too many times he is not and that is why nobody made him a bigger financial offer. His effort is not consistent enough to justify the expense. Hence the MLE and why were able to get him.
This is what I was getting at, but you said it way better.  Being in the Cleveland area, I've heard a lot about Thompson and how frustrating he is.  Even when Lebron was here, he would just go into funks and just wouldn't give effort.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #202 on: November 25, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDefnMEwOC0&feature=emb_logo

Looking good almost big fella!

Thompson just being good enough to be a threat from the corner makes the Celtics better.

« Reply #203 on: November 25, 2020, 03:27:27 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

He initiates contact

maybe some of the intensity from Marcus Smart could rub off on him. 

« Reply #204 on: November 25, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Big games, I think Thompson will play hard. I hope we see a lineup of Smart, Thompson, and Grant Williams. That's a lot of hustle and winning playsmanship on the court at the same time around our two star wings.

« Reply #205 on: November 25, 2020, 03:50:35 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Trade Smart, TimeLord and Langsford for Gobert..works in trademachine

Gobert
Thompson
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Theis
Grant
Neismith
Teague

Go get Gay and Ellington

Championship!!!!!!

I know no one would agree lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #206 on: November 25, 2020, 04:10:17 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Trade Smart, TimeLord and Langsford for Gobert..works in trademachine

Gobert
Thompson
Tatum
Brown
Walker

Theis
Grant
Neismith
Teague

Go get Gay and Ellington

Championship!!!!!!

I know no one would agree lol

Need a heck of a lot more to get Gobert from Utah.

Also Thompson and Gobert is a horrible pairing to play in the starting 5 together.

That said, I would absolutely love Gobert here.

« Reply #207 on: November 25, 2020, 04:56:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Big games, I think Thompson will play hard. I hope we see a lineup of Smart, Thompson, and Grant Williams. That's a lot of hustle and winning playsmanship on the court at the same time around our two star wings.

I think he will play harder per game.   The Cav ,  Kyrie , Lebron.  Lakers demand results , but are known for letting the playets run the franchise and loaf .  Lebron works hard by himself ...cause its all,about him always .  Sets poor example on the court and doesn't take coaching at all.  The others see this and fall,in line ....following Lebron and divas like Kyrie ....not playing for the team.  If the diva approve then the coach has to,accept the attitude what ever that maybe .   When TT sees guys like Grant and Marcus work every minute of every game ( not lebron standing around watching ) he may fall in line ....i hope.

« Reply #208 on: November 25, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tristan Thompson altercation highlights.   I won't be surprised if there are a few blowups this season  ;D

you have to expect it.   Between Smart and Thompson it could become volatile ....  but I look at it, in a good way.   Ever since Perk and KG left the team.  Celts have been kind of soft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Unf6fwhtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCrEEUTBlk&t=62s

(Thompson calls out Lebron for defensive lapse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD1wWBiPRik 

But then after the game, post game interview...explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7_5P1CtevI

« Reply #209 on: November 25, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Tristan Thompson altercation highlights.   I won't be surprised if there are a few blowups this season  ;D

you have to expect it.   Between Smart and Thompson it could become volatile ....  but I look at it, in a good way.   Ever since Perk and KG left the team.  Celts have been kind of soft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Unf6fwhtQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiCrEEUTBlk&t=62s

(Thompson calls out Lebron for defensive lapse)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD1wWBiPRik 

But then after the game, post game interview...explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7_5P1CtevI

Isn't that Tegue guarding Bron in that one clip?