Author Topic: Jayson Tatum: The Dark Horse MVP Candidate That No One Is Talking About  (Read 2758 times)

Offline RolePlayersTv

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
The MVP award will be wide open this season and Jayson Tatum may be a more serious candidate than he is getting credit for. Here's the full video on the topic: https://youtu.be/2PSnAnDx32A

Re: Jayson Tatum: The Dark Horse MVP Candidate That No One Is Talking About
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 03:21:37 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So basically you are posting here to promote your YouTube channel.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I don’t know about the OP’s agenda, but I think the idea is right.  Tatum improved rapidly during the course of last season.  By the playoffs, he was averaging 25.7 ppg, 10 rebounds, 5 assists, and was close to an elite defender. If he takes even a minor step forward, he could definitely be in the running especially if Kemba misses a lot of time.  It will definitely be a fun thing to watch for this season, something I’m looking forward to.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 04:41:55 PM by knuckleballer »

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 04:40:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm a fool for all things Celtics on YouTube lol

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celts somehow got the #1 seed in the East despite Kemba missing significant time, with Tatum averaging something like what he put up in the playoffs (e.g. 25-10-5), he would certainly be in the mix.

My guess is that if the Lakers are a top seed again, voters will give it to LeBron as some sort of retroactive recognition of last season's title validating that Bron is still the best player in the league.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Sam Mitchell made the case for Tatum and Luka being his top 2 MVP contenders on NBA TV the other day. Basically, he mentioned the fact that the quick turnaround means load management and "starting slow" will probably be more prevalent than ever for older stars coming off long runs (LeBron, AD, Kawhi, etc.), who are the typical MVP candidates.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The national media have to "anoint" players in order for them to be considered "worthy" of being an MVP. Things could change as the season progresses, but right now the only possible MVPs for the upcoming season are LeBron, Luka, Giannis, Curry, Leonard, and Harden (the latter one is only possible if he doesn't miss time due to his holdout).

Durant would normally be in the discussion but is working his way back from injury. AD is MVP-level, but he'll never win it while on the same team as LeBron, unless LeBron gets injured and AD carries the Lakers to a top seed, but neither of those things is likely to happen. Westbrook is now sharing a backcourt with Beal, which I think will take away enough stats from Westbrook to rule him out (plus, the Wizards are likely to be kinda bad).

As for Tatum, he can get there, maybe even this season, but he's gotta routinely play like he did in the playoffs, and even then he'll need the media to deem him eligible. That last part is unlikely to happen this season, IMO. But maybe next year.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »

Offline RolePlayersTv

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
yes, 100%

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
Hot take: lock the thread or this turns meta real quick. Celtics reddit exists for a reason.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 07:21:22 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Hot take: lock the thread or this turns meta real quick. Celtics reddit exists for a reason.

Nah, it's a legit topic.  Just ban the OP's account, it's clearly spam.

There absolutely does exist the possibility that Jayson Tatum elevates his game another step and puts himself squarely in the MVP conversation, he's not that far off as is.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 07:32:50 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff

Nah, it's a legit topic.  Just ban the OP's account, it's clearly spam.

There absolutely does exist the possibility that Jayson Tatum elevates his game another step and puts himself squarely in the MVP conversation, he's not that far off as is.

Fair!

I agree with rocknrollforyoursoul that the national media plays a large role. But ultimately if the Celtics come out hot and are a top 2 seed in the East, Tatum will have a shot at the MVP.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 10:51:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
He'd have to average something like 30/10/5 to even finish in the top 3. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip