Author Topic: Pau bought out  (Read 4170 times)

Re: Pau bought out
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 06:03:33 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I am beginning to doubt that danny has any i tentions on going after davis in the offseason.

I mean could have traded at deadline to consolidate expiring lesser assets for a more desireable trade puece and every decent buyout is not being offered a deal.

Doesnt make sense.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 06:04:33 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think he's pretty washed up, but he can probably give the team better minutes than Williams or Yabu.

Probably.

I see Danny's inaction thus far as meaning one of two things: Either he has a clinically insane amount of confidence that the current squad will turn it around, or that he really doesn't care how this season ends (in the sense that whatever happens this season won't affect his plans for summer/next season).
Yeah, really get the feeling that Danny is really just waiting until the offseason. We were even more active last season, despite the lesser likelihood of truly competing for a ring.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 06:08:39 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Although I can't argue that Pau would be worse than Yabusele (lol), the truth is he's washed up. You guys like the Greg Monroe experience last year? Because I feel that would have been the same thing if Gasol came here.

Personally I think the bigger misses are guys like Kanter, Faried, etc. I wish Dedmon had gotten bought out.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 06:12:45 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Although I can't argue that Pau would be worse than Yabusele (lol), the truth is he's washed up. You guys like the Greg Monroe experience last year? Because I feel that would have been the same thing if Gasol came here.

Personally I think the bigger misses are guys like Kanter, Faried, etc. I wish Dedmon had gotten bought out.
Man, I would've killed for Faried. He's been on a tear in Houston, and is putting up career highs in points and rebounds. Such a good roll guy, and grabs boards like they're going out of style.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2019, 07:38:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think he's pretty washed up, but he can probably give the team better minutes than Williams or Yabu.

Probably.

I see Danny's inaction thus far as meaning one of two things: Either he has a clinically insane amount of confidence that the current squad will turn it around, or that he really doesn't care how this season ends (in the sense that whatever happens this season won't affect his plans for summer/next season).
Yeah, really get the feeling that Danny is really just waiting until the offseason. We were even more active last season, despite the lesser likelihood of truly competing for a ring.
Gotta remember though that the Celtics are hovering just a couple million over the luxury tax line. Danny, doing what's best for business, is probably doing a couple things: trying to figure out a way to get under this year's luxury tax and doing whatever he can to not increase salary any, as it's just more luxury tax he would have to pay with little of that increase significantly increasing this team's chances of going any farther in the playoffs than they would have anyway.

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Going to Milwaukee.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1101598612306513920

Man, if we don't step up in the playoffs at least we might get to see GASOLMAGEDDON in the ECF.

Another benefit of a good regular season record -- guys who become available are actually interested in joining your team.

I guess there's not much eagerness to jump on a sinking ship.

There's no evidence we were interested in him.

Sure, but why would there be?

Your post makes it seem as if he chose the Bucks over us due to the difference in record but in actual reality, you can't choose a team that doesn't want you.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2019, 09:20:15 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Probably.

Gotta remember though that the Celtics are hovering just a couple million over the luxury tax line. Danny, doing what's best for business, is probably doing a couple things: trying to figure out a way to get under this year's luxury tax and doing whatever he can to not increase salary any, as it's just more luxury tax he would have to pay with little of that increase significantly increasing this team's chances of going any farther in the playoffs than they would have anyway.
he can't get under the tax so they might as well improve the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2019, 09:35:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Probably.

Or, as a wise businessman once said..

it's just more luxury tax he would have to pay with little of that increase significantly increasing this team's chances of going any farther in the playoffs than they would have anyway.
So why waste millions?

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2019, 09:42:35 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Probably.

Or, as a wise businessman once said..

it's just more luxury tax he would have to pay with little of that increase significantly increasing this team's chances of going any farther in the playoffs than they would have anyway.
So why waste millions?
I don't think that is true, but even if it is, how useful would a non-guaranteed 5 million dollar contract be this summer?  That is a pretty nice salary filler for a trade you can get by signing someone like Pau for the full MLE the rest of this season and making a non-guaranteed 2nd year with a date of say August 1st.  Pau can then get traded before August 1st and then waived by the next team.  And even if Pau doesn't provide you anything of real note on the floor (and I'm not sure that is the case), it can't hurt to have a veteran with championship pedigree in the lockeroom right now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Spurs who are making the playoffs would not even use him. Pau will sign with the Bucks to see if he can buy himself a ring..He won't be playing .

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2019, 02:35:21 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
I heard Pau is going to The Bucks.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Buyouts want minutes and touches.  The C'S don't have either available.