Author Topic: Shams: MEM in strong talks to move franchise star Marc Gasol to Charlotte  (Read 3671 times)

Re: Shams: MEM in strong talks to move franchise star Marc Gasol to Charlotte
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
MJ giving up Bridges and Monk to just make the playoffs is a total MJ move. Smh
I agree but it is MJ...
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 06:51:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

MJ isn't in control nor at the helm anymore...

That's why he hired Mitch Kupcha-

While I would hate Mitch, for his dumb contracts given to Deng, and Mozgov... You cannot fault him for the trade that brought Pau Gasol with Kobe, resulting in 3 championships.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 06:53:27 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

While I would hate Mitch, for his dumb contracts given to Deng, and Mozgov... You cannot fault him for the trade that brought Pau Gasol with Kobe, resulting in 3 championships.

We’ll see. This type of trade reaks of MJ just wanting to make the playoffs though.

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2019, 06:53:55 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I say MJ still has a say in all the moves thou
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2019, 06:55:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

We’ll see. This type of trade reaks of MJ just wanting to make the playoffs though.
I say MJ still has a say in all the moves thou

Well, yeah of course, but ultimately if MJ forces Mitch to make any sort of reckless move, then it will only make MJ look even worse, since he hired him with the intention of re-signing Kemba.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2019, 07:00:57 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I am guessing Memphis targets a draft pick and a couple young players like Monk and Hernangomez while perhaps Charlotte dumps one of their less desirable contracts like Biyombo (I'd say Batum's contract, but that's an albatross that no one will probably want.)

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2019, 07:04:12 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
I am guessing Memphis targets a draft pick and a couple young players like Monk and Hernangomez while perhaps Charlotte dumps one of their less desirable contracts like Biyombo (I'd say Batum's contract, but that's an albatross that no one will probably want.)

Hernangomez isn't any good imo despite stat lines, recently had Biyombo playing in front of him with Zeller out. something including Monk or Bridges or picks

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Read into it what you will, but there is a trash bag next to Marc Gasol’s locker partially filled, and the number “33” above his locker is not there anymore.

https://twitter.com/DavidWCobb/status/1092938613153771521

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2019, 07:51:30 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Would he sign a team friendly deal next year?

All of Charlotte's salary-filling payroll is already on the court in the clips game
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 08:14:51 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Ya I'd say the most likely outcome here is something like Gasol for Biyombo, Monk, and Cha2019 first. Charlotte gets off Biyombos dead money which would cost a first anyway, and gets a guy who can actually play. Gives up a young guy with some potential.

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Gasol gone

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 02:00:19 AM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Source: #Hornets are definitely looking to shake things up and it appears something will go down. Package for Marc Gasol could include either Bismack Biyombo or Cody Zeller and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. #Hornets apparently still working to hash it all out.

https://twitter.com/rodboone/status/1092987696199462914?s=21

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/2/6/18213531/nba-trade-deadline-news-notes

Grit and Ground

The Grizzlies are in talks to send Marc Gasol to the Hornets for Bismack Biyombo, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and a protected first-round pick, according to league sources. The holdup at this point is the protection on the pick, per a source; it might be enough of an issue to derail the trade entirely. There is “increasing pessimism on both sides” that a trade will be completed, according to Sporting News’ Sean Deveney. With that said, the acquisition of Gasol would help bolster Charlotte’s frontcourt as the Hornets battle for a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Gasol’s presence would be good news for point guard Kemba Walker. This decade, the Hornets have relied on bigs like Frank Kaminsky, Spencer Hawes, and Byron Mullens to space the floor; none of them are on par with Gasol, even at his advanced age. Though Gasol is 34 and his once-elite defense has degraded, he can still splash 3s and make plays for his teammates.

It would be a disappointing return for Memphis, but interest has been minimal. The Kings and Pistons inquired about Gasol, as reported last month on The Ringer, but there’s no traction on a deal. The Pistons offered a package involving Andre Drummond, who is is owed $55.8 million over the next two seasons, but Memphis didn’t have interest, according to league sources. Memphis wanted Bogdan Bogdanovic from the Kings for Gasol, league sources say, but he isn’t being made available for an aging, expensive center whose individual style doesn’t mesh with the team’s as a whole.

The Raptors offered Kyle Lowry and Jonas Valanciunas for Conley and Gasol, according to Sports Illustrated’s Jake Fischer. League sources indicated last week that Toronto tried to come up with a trade for an individual veteran, before it turned into a package for both. As of Tuesday evening, league sources say it’s unlikely that Toronto lands Gasol or Conley.

The Jazz are making a strong push to acquire the 31-year-old point guard, as first reported by The Athletic’s Tony Jones. The Jazz are offering a deal with Ricky Rubio and Derrick Favors serving as the (expiring) salary fillers necessary to complete a trade, plus one first-round pick, according to league sources. Though Conley is known for his playmaking, he’d be an ideal fit next to Donovan Mitchell because of his consistent perimeter shooting. Conley has shot 46.4 percent off screens over the past three seasons on an admittedly low volume of 106 attempts. Playing alongside Mitchell, Conley could see an uptick in off-ball opportunities.

The Pistons also have interest in Conley, and so did the Pacers prior to Victor Oladipo’s injury. The sense around the league has been that Memphis won’t settle for a low return for Conley, but there’s a real chance that he’s dealt by the deadline.

The Grizzlies and Rockets have also discussed a trade involving point guard Brandon Knight and Marquese Chriss, according to league sources. Houston has been trying to dump Knight’s salary, which is on the books for $15.6 million next season, and will attach a first-round pick to get it done. It’s expected that Memphis would send JaMychal Green and Garrett Temple to the Rockets, if a deal is agreed to. The fate of Conley and Gasol comes first, though.

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
Utah's final offer to the Grizzlies for Mike Conley, per @Tjonesonthenba on the show: First-round pick, second-round pick, and expirings, dollar for dollar. Grizzlies asked for Exum and were told no.

Detroit's offer to Memphis for Conley, according to Jones: Reggie Jackson and a first-rounder. Grizzlies asked for Luke Kennard, Pistons balked.

https://twitter.com/johnmartin929/status/1093215840030412801?s=21
https://twitter.com/johnmartin929/status/1093217375200133122?s=21

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 04:18:58 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Utah's final offer to the Grizzlies for Mike Conley, per @Tjonesonthenba on the show: First-round pick, second-round pick, and expirings, dollar for dollar. Grizzlies asked for Exum and were told no.

Detroit's offer to Memphis for Conley, according to Jones: Reggie Jackson and a first-rounder. Grizzlies asked for Luke Kennard, Pistons balked.

https://twitter.com/johnmartin929/status/1093215840030412801?s=21
https://twitter.com/johnmartin929/status/1093217375200133122?s=21

It seems like both of those asks, especially Kennard, are sort of unnecessary considering neither one is a guy you'd build around.