Author Topic: Kristaps unhappy with Knicks; KP traded to Dallas page 2  (Read 16465 times)

Re: Kristap reportedly unhappy with Knicks; pending trade to Dallas
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2019, 04:18:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
ShamsCharania

Sources: All-Star Kristaps Porzingis is planning to inform the Dallas Mavericks his intent is to sign the qualifying offer in restricted free agency this summer.

Whoa.

Whoa!!!?!?!?

Does that allow him to opt out after a year?

He'll be an unrestricted FA next offseason.

Wow.

Oh, good. He can go with AD to LA. 😉

Mike

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I think this might show the true, uninflated value of Porzingis.

I know the New York hype machine disagrees, but here is the breakdown:

Jordan and Matthews are better players than Lee and Hardaway in a vacuum, and their contracts are better than Lee's and Hardaways.

Since a mid-tier first round pick roughly costs 15 million to get off of, New York is giving up the value of two mid-tier first rounders in this deal (Zinger) to get two guys who will likely be bought out and a prospect guard (and "draft considerations").

BTW. Jordan as a buyout candidate anyone?

NY wants to clear capspace for two max players this offseason. They also get the out of Kristaps' restricted free agency as well. They probably could've held out for more, but Dallas had the expiring contracts to make it work.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2019, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Kristaps went through great lengths to get Philly not to draft him. He has asked out of NY before his rookie contract is over. And he intends to take the QO after suffering one of the most debilitating, albeit recoverable, injuries for an NBA player.

I'm sorry, but this guy seems far more trouble than he's worth. If he leaves Dallas after a season, that will be a terrible trade. Smith Jr. could be very good.

Yeah I'm kind of confused by all of this. I would've assumed him and Luka would've been a perfect match. But we'll see how this works.

But not asking to be drafted by Philly makes sense.... They literally were one of the worst teams in the NBA at the time.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #78 on: January 31, 2019, 04:20:36 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
ShamsCharania

Sources: All-Star Kristaps Porzingis is planning to inform the Dallas Mavericks his intent is to sign the qualifying offer in restricted free agency this summer.

Whoa.

Whoa!!!?!?!?

Does that allow him to opt out after a year?

He'll be an unrestricted FA next offseason.

Wow.

Wow. I wonder if that makes them renege on the deal?

God, the Knicks are such a dumpster fire of an organization. Why do they think that just because they’re NY they’ll get two max free agents this year with how terrible they’ve been?

« Reply #79 on: January 31, 2019, 04:20:43 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 659
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Who the hell starts tomorrow for the Knicks??

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2019, 04:23:17 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Who the hell starts tomorrow for the Knicks??

Celtics are offering to loan them Lucky and Gino.

Mile

« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73
They are delusional if anyone wants to go to that toxic organization, with no star players, terrible owner, and awful culture. If KP wanted to leave, what makes them think Durant/Kyrie would even want to go there..

Don't be so sure, man. Its the Knicks, its New York City, Its MSG.  And its the East. Any two players who want to play together can come over here, finish top 5 in the East, electrify the city and bank endorsement money left and right.  Fizdale is a very good coach and a lot of player like him.  You get the right to players together, it's not a bad situation at all.

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2019, 04:25:03 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Kristaps went through great lengths to get Philly not to draft him. He has asked out of NY before his rookie contract is over. And he intends to take the QO after suffering one of the most debilitating, albeit recoverable, injuries for an NBA player.

I'm sorry, but this guy seems far more trouble than he's worth. If he leaves Dallas after a season, that will be a terrible trade. Smith Jr. could be very good.

Yeah I'm kind of confused by all of this. I would've assumed him and Luka would've been a perfect match. But we'll see how this works.

But not asking to be drafted by Philly makes sense.... They literally were one of the worst teams in the NBA at the time.
Philly were a laughing stock, but it's not like the Knicks were significantly more appealing. I think he and his camp just want to control where he goes to an illogical degree.

But yeah, we'll see. I've never seen an NBA player of this caliber not sign an extension. Forget about a 7 footer with knee issues.

Re: Kristap reportedly unhappy with Knicks franchise
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2019, 04:26:59 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Holy smokes. He basically asked for a trade. This is big news. And a massive kick to the nuts of the Knicks.

TP for "massive kick to Knick's nuts"...lot's of S's and K's.

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2019, 04:28:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Boston could of had all that for much less. Knicks burning it down

We'd have offered better for Porzingis alone, but Danny would never have taken on those contracts.

« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
They are delusional if anyone wants to go to that toxic organization, with no star players, terrible owner, and awful culture. If KP wanted to leave, what makes them think Durant/Kyrie would even want to go there..

Don't be so sure, man. Its the Knicks, its New York City, Its MSG.  And its the East. Any two players who want to play together can come over here, finish top 5 in the East, electrify the city and bank endorsement money left and right.  Fizdale is a very good coach and a lot of player like him.  You get the right to players together, it's not a bad situation at all.

Ummm... Who knows? You could be right, but then again, fairly confident they won't get anyone special. Maybe Khris Middleton?

Greg freakin' bum Monroe passed up on joining the Knicks.. What makes you think any premier free agent would want to join them that badly?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2019, 04:30:21 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think this might show the true, uninflated value of Porzingis.

I know the New York hype machine disagrees, but here is the breakdown:

Jordan and Matthews are better players than Lee and Hardaway in a vacuum, and their contracts are better than Lee's and Hardaways.

Since a mid-tier first round pick roughly costs 15 million to get off of, New York is giving up the value of two mid-tier first rounders in this deal (Zinger) to get two guys who will likely be bought out and a prospect guard (and "draft considerations").

BTW. Jordan as a buyout candidate anyone?

Jordan and Matthews do not have better contracts than Lee and Hardaway because they are both expiring. Knicks don't care much about who they pay in yet another lost season, but they care a lot about who they DON'T have to pay next year.

« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2019, 04:30:39 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Doncic plus Porzingis (if healthy) will be interesting to watch.

Knicks moved Hardaway’s bad contract and picked up expirings and (apparently) a draft pick. Will be interesting to see how much room they have next year. Really hoping they don’t get the first pick in the lottery.

« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2019, 04:30:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1674
I actually like this for NY.  They picked up a solid prospect in DSJ and cleared $30M from their books next year.  They now have a ton of financial flexibility going forward, and for a large market like the Knicks, that's worth a lot.  All at the cost of a player who didn't want to be there, is coming off of a major injury, and is IMHO overrated even when healthy. 

For Dallas, the price wasn't huge, so there's that.  But as I said, I'm no fan of Porzingis.  If he comes back undiminished from injury, continues to develop, and signs in Dallas long-term, then it's a very good deal for them.  But if any of those items don't happen, then they hosed themselves. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:37:21 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2019, 04:31:05 PM »

Offline bknova

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 73

Philly were a laughing stock, but it's not like the Knicks were significantly more appealing. I think he and his camp just want to control where he goes to an illogical degree.

But yeah, we'll see. I've never seen an NBA player of this caliber not sign an extension. Forget about a 7 footer with knee issues.

They've DSJ, Kevin Knox, Mitchell, that french point guard dude, they're gonna nab a very high draft pick.  Whatever picks they get from Dallas. I've lived in NYC for 22 years, this is the most non Knicks, kind of smartest move they've made in two decades. 

They're tearing it down to build it back up, rather than being stuck in mediocrity as they have been for 22 years.  Frankly, its about time.