Author Topic: Thinking outside the box for Jaylen Brown and Brogdon trades  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
With all the trades involving Jaylen Brown it's talking about bringing back a superstar for the most part besides the Simmons and the 3rd pick from the Blazers.  What if we went to a team who's always trying to get a superstar and would give Brown his own team.  Plus with Brogdon he's an expensive 6th man and we should use him to gain some bench depth.  I'd be interested in seeing what everybody would think.  As this sets us up now and in future years when contracts run out for current Celtics.

Celtics Trade - Jaylen Brown, Payton Prichard and Luke Kornet and our 2nd round pick.
Pistons Trade - Jalen Duren, Jaden Ivey and the 5th pick.

Celtics Trade - Malcolm Brogdon
Nets Trade - Dorian Finney-Smith and Royce O'Neale

Celtics do this as Jaylen Brown is going to be to expensive for us to keep with Tatum in the long run yo have a team around them.  This give Tatum for lead of the Celtics and Brown gets the Pistons.  Duren gives us a young center behind Williams and can be a starter plus with Williams injury history will keep Williams fresher.  (Fits when Williams contract is up)  Ivey is a young guard that can start or become our new 6th man (Cheaper, younger and fits timeline for when Smart and White are up for contracts).  With the 5th pick it gives us options, a trade if we'd like to go for a star or we draft one of the players there.  First choice would be Scoot Henderson if he falls to 5.  If not we're looking at players like Amen Thompson, Ausar Thompson, Cameron Whitmore and Jarace Walker.  With the Malcolm Brogdon trade it helps us gain two wings and Brogdon would become a starter again with the Nets.  This gives the Nets a starting point guard to put next to Bridges. 

Re: Thinking outside the box for Jaylen Brown and Brogdon trades
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 06:54:46 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
Not a fan of Jaden Ivey. He is an athlete not a basketball player. Too inefficient with his scoring. Bad shooter. Turnover prone. Limited PG skills running a team. Bad defensive player despite his physical gifts. He will improve but I am not sold on him ever becoming a star PG.

Not that interested in the 5th pick. I like Brandon Miller and Scoot Henderson so I am interested in the 3rd pick. I consider them both All-Star talents. After them, it is a bit of a crap shoot. Nobody I am that high on. Nobody I am sold on. So not that interested in the 5th pick.

So I am a no for the Jaylen Brown trade because I am not a fan of Ivey or high on the 5th pick. Jalen Duran is a nice young big man. I'd be interested in finding another way to get our hands on him.

The second trade I am interested in. Move away from our 3 combo guard backcourt. Go bigger. DFS is a great defensive SF/PF. O'Neale another strong defensive SF.

G: D White, Smart
G: Jaylen
F: Tatum, O'Neale
F: DFS
C: Timelord, Horford

I'd probably start DFS over Horford. That team speed, defensive quickness, with DFS at PF is something special. The size of D White or Smart at PG. Two big wings in the Jays. Timelord in the paint. Horford and Smart / D White as the joint 6th men.

Double down on the defense-first identity.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 09:30:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
I didn't love what I saw from Ivey in his rookie year. I think Duren is promising but still a project. Essentially two projects for two proven players.

I'm not sure if Scoot Henderson can be had, but I think he's the next great point guard. I'd trade Jaylen for him.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 11:50:57 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Not a fan of Jaden Ivey. He is an athlete not a basketball player. Too inefficient with his scoring. Bad shooter. Turnover prone. Limited PG skills running a team. Bad defensive player despite his physical gifts. He will improve but I am not sold on him ever becoming a star PG.

Not that interested in the 5th pick. I like Brandon Miller and Scoot Henderson so I am interested in the 3rd pick. I consider them both All-Star talents. After them, it is a bit of a crap shoot. Nobody I am that high on. Nobody I am sold on. So not that interested in the 5th pick.

So I am a no for the Jaylen Brown trade because I am not a fan of Ivey or high on the 5th pick. Jalen Duran is a nice young big man. I'd be interested in finding another way to get our hands on him.

The second trade I am interested in. Move away from our 3 combo guard backcourt. Go bigger. DFS is a great defensive SF/PF. O'Neale another strong defensive SF.

G: D White, Smart
G: Jaylen
F: Tatum, O'Neale
F: DFS
C: Timelord, Horford

I'd probably start DFS over Horford. That team speed, defensive quickness, with DFS at PF is something special. The size of D White or Smart at PG. Two big wings in the Jays. Timelord in the paint. Horford and Smart / D White as the joint 6th men.

Double down on the defense-first identity.

First of all I wanted to say Thank You for actually replying with thought and not just saying something like "I hate this or This is dumb."

I'd like to share something about Jaden Ivey though, maybe change your mind a little.  The first thing you know is coming off his rookie year and only 21.  But this is where I'm coming from.  In Jaylen Brown's first season as a 30+ minute starter was when he turned 21.  He average 14.5 PPG while Ivey this year did 16.3 PPG.  Brown 1.6 assist and 4.9 rebounds, Ivey 5.2 and 3.9 for Ivey.  Brown 47% FG and 39% from 3pt, Ivey 42% and 34%.  Just a little bit of stats to compare them to.  Plus with Ivey first year in the league and he only average 3 turnovers a game, not great but as a rookie ball handler not bad either. 

With Jalen Duren he's a good insurance for Rob Williams between age, health, abilities, and contract.  He's not the main prize as the prize as a whole averages out to be the best for Brown.  Plus the second trade does the filling in some for Brown in the wing department.  The 5th pick I can see why you might not be as high on because you only are liking the top 3 players.  Just for sake of discussion say either of the two players fell to 5th, would you like this trade more? 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 12:23:26 AM by Celtics978Fan »

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 08:43:04 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I have been pretty clearly on the record that I don't want to trade Brown. If Brown makes it known he wants out, I think there are two paths of trades you pursue. Unfortunately the odds of somebody better than Brown wanting out at the same time are low.

Option one is to pursue multiple borderline all star type players to try and make a team that is inherently better at multiple positions than our current one is. Think of somehow getting Siakam + another player that can play the 1 or 2. The guard we get is obviously worse than Brown, but the addition of Siakam and them would make us immediately better.

Option two is to take players/picks that we feel have a chance to one day be as good as Brown is right now. Houston and the Blazers come to mind. Houston could do Green/4 + other filler or Blazers could do Simons/3. Just off the top of my head.

All of this is to say, almost every scenario where we trade Brown makes us worse in the near term.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 09:13:13 AM by A Future of Stevens »
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 08:53:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Coaching g hires seem to indicate Brown will stay in Boston IMO.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 09:12:17 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why do we want the Celtics to take a step back?   

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 09:13:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I have been pretty clearly on the record that I don't want to trade Brown. If Brown makes it known he wants out, I think there are two paths of trades you pursue. Unfortunately the odds of somebody better than Brown wanting out at the same time are low.

Option one is to pursue multiple borderline all star type players to try and make a team that is inherently better at multiple positions than our current one is. Think of somehow getting Siakam + another player that can play the 1 or 2. The guard we get is obviously worse than Brown, but the addition of Siakam and them would make us immediately better.

Option two is to take players/picks that we feel have a chance to one day be as good as Brown is right now. Houston and the Blazers come to mind. Houston could do Green/4 + other filler or Blazers could do Simons/3. Just off the top of my head.
That's a BIG IF and I just don't see it. Only the C's can sign him to the super-max and he's very close to a title with this team. Those are two great reasons to stay. On the other hand, Brown is vocal, candid and always blames himself when he doesn't play well. That doesn't equate to meaning he is unhappy with being on the team.

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 09:19:17 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would keep Brown and Brogdon

Let Grant walk and sign Naz Reed, that fixes a ton of problems.  True big man depth, and defense, which we need with AL and Rob.
Draft the best defensive wing, you can get in the draft preferably a 3 D.
Trade Pritchard for veteran depth.

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 09:44:13 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

That's a BIG IF and I just don't see it. Only the C's can sign him to the super-max and he's very close to a title with this team. Those are two great reasons to stay. On the other hand, Brown is vocal, candid and always blames himself when he doesn't play well. That doesn't equate to meaning he is unhappy with being on the team.
For what it's worth, I agree with everything you said. I don't see a realistic scenario to trade Brown, and I hope they don't.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
The players we'd be acquiring wouldn't fit with Tatum's timeline. He doesn't want to wait 5 years for these guys to mature into contention-level players.

If we dump Brown for projects and prospects Tatum will ask for a trade.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 10:04:19 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Let Grant walk and sign Naz Reid, that fixes a ton of problems.  True big man depth, and defense, which we need with AL and Rob.
Sounds good. Is Reid a RFA now? Will Minny match offers?

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 10:14:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406

Let Grant walk and sign Naz Reid, that fixes a ton of problems.  True big man depth, and defense, which we need with AL and Rob.
Sounds good. Is Reid a RFA now? Will Minny match offers?

Unrestricted I believe. At least that is what Hoopshype FA list have him down as. I was surprised he wasn't restricted.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Very weird idea I had recently… don’t think I heard it before. But what about brown for #2 (scoot Henderson) and Hayward. It’s definitely risky because of the injury risk, but Hayward is better next to Tatum in theory and if Scoot is really a Westbrook/Rose/Morant type player I would go for it.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 11:45:32 AM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Also we would have maybe Brogdon and Pritchard to make another move to balance out the roster
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd