Author Topic: Trade Rumor: 1 + 1 = 2?  (Read 2596 times)

Trade Rumor: 1 + 1 = 2?
« on: June 11, 2023, 06:08:08 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
There are rumors floating around that Dejounte Murray might be available in the right deal,

per Eric Pincus

Some executives around the league believe the Timberwolves will trade Karl-Anthony Towns ‘in the next few weeks’,

per Eric Pincus

———

Hawks: Towns

Timberwolves: Murray, Collins, 2023 15th pick, 2024 - Round 1 pick (via Kings)

———

Minnesota Timberwolves

Murray
Edwards
Anderson
Collins
Gobert

Conley, McDaniels
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 06:13:32 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

Re: Trade Rumor: 1 + 1 = 2?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 06:56:18 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2410
I saw a Raptors fan pulling for a D Murray for Siakam trade. Let VanVleet go. Free up the PF position for S Barnes. Meanwhile, ATL get an athletic forward to go with Trae and move away from that two PG backcourt which doesn't work well.

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 07:33:53 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
So Snyder reportedly has a lot of pull with roster moves. Given his experience in Utah, I wonder if he'd be sensitive to having multiple headcase/uncoachable players like KAT and Young.

I do really like the basketball fit.

If the Hawks could get close to the value they gave up for Murray, I wonder if they pull the trigger, but there's a reason why teams weren't falling all over themselves for Murray. He's a good player, but is he that guy? I think I'd rather have Smart or White before him.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 07:59:00 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
I saw a Raptors fan pulling for a D Murray for Siakam trade. Let VanVleet go. Free up the PF position for S Barnes. Meanwhile, ATL get an athletic forward to go with Trae and move away from that two PG backcourt which doesn't work well.

IMO, the Hawks would have to move Collins if they did trade for Siakam, as they like to operate in the same zones.

So Snyder reportedly has a lot of pull with roster moves. Given his experience in Utah, I wonder if he'd be sensitive to having multiple headcase/uncoachable players like KAT and Young.

IMO, the most vital move for the Hawks is convincing Trae Young to stop copying Steph Curry and start behaving like a pass first point guard. Young should replicate Steve Nash’s ideology, and the team as a whole would improve.

If the Hawks could get Towns, their pick and role game would be deadly.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 08:12:22 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1002
Stevens should be on the phone with Minnesota for KAT, starting the conversation by offering Jaylen Brown in a package

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2023, 08:19:52 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
Stevens should be on the phone with Minnesota for KAT, starting the conversation by offering Jaylen Brown in a package

The only way to trade Brown is if the other team has a handshake agreement in place that he will re-sign there at the end of the season.

I can’t see that happening in Minnesota.

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2023, 08:22:15 PM »

• Paul Silas

Brown is arguably better than KAT, and KAT has had his problems performing well in his few playoff games so far.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 08:26:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I'd rather just acquire both in Boston

Boston - Towns, Murray
Minnesota - Brown
Atlanta - Smart, BOS 24 1st, 26 1st (top 4), 28 1st (top 4)

Something like that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 08:41:32 PM »

• Paul Silas

Boston - Towns, Murray
Minnesota - Brown

Something like that.

I think you could argue that Brown is better than KAT, and Smart is at least comparable to Murray. Why are we giving out multiple first rounders?

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 08:48:18 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
There are rumors floating around that Dejounte Murray might be available in the right deal,

per Eric Pincus

Some executives around the league believe the Timberwolves will trade Karl-Anthony Towns ‘in the next few weeks’,

per Eric Pincus

———

Hawks: Towns

Timberwolves: Murray, Collins, 2023 15th pick, 2024 - Round 1 pick (via Kings)

———

Minnesota Timberwolves

Murray
Edwards
Anderson
Collins
Gobert

Conley, McDaniels

Interesting trade idea, I agree with previous poster who questioned if Snyder would want to deal with Trae and KAT.

As for the trade I’m not sure how much positive value Collins has so additional picks would probably need to go to Minn but over all I think thats a viable trade for both teams.

Personally I think Minn should trade KAT to Portland for #3, Simon’s, and what ever else they can get and flip Simon’s to a 3rd team. Scoot and Anthony would be a fun backcourt to watch develop.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 08:26:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Well I'm glad you are not the GM. You NEVER offer your best package first, especially if you are offering the better player.

Stevens should start with Smart/Horford + filler and see where it goes. The Jays plus KAT would be formidable.

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 09:28:36 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

per Eric Pincus

I don't know if this is accurate or not but it certainly caught my eye.  Based on what I read here on CelticsStrong, I would say that I am higher on Towns than most.  He is an All-NBA level player.  He is a 7-footer with a career 39.5% 3P% (Brown is career 36.5% for reference).  He is 27.  There is a whole lot to like about Towns.

I am not really that concerned about a ATL-MIN trade, but I would hope if this is true that the Celtics are looking at what it would take to get him to Boston.  In my mind, any trade that didn't include Tatum or Brown would be a no-brainer.  Smart, White, Brogdon, RWill, any combination of those players and I am fine.

But realistically, I think it would take Brown to top what other teams would offer.  I had come up with this in another thread:

Brown + Pritchard + Muscala
for
Towns + Kyle Anderson

People say we can't trade Brown unless he has agreed to sign or extend with the new team.  I am not sure that is true.  The new team can still offer the most if he does become a UFA.  And people like to say Towns is bad on defense.  I don't know how true that is.  Or how good he needs to be.  Denver is able to play defense with Jokic, we should be able to play defense with Towns.

It is a tough call.  Brown is a very solid all star level player.  Tough to give that up.  But a big like Towns is a valuable commodity in the league also.

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 09:37:42 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

per Eric Pincus

I don't know if this is accurate or not but it certainly caught my eye.  Based on what I read here on CelticsStrong, I would say that I am higher on Towns than most.  He is an All-NBA level player.  He is a 7-footer with a career 39.5% 3P% (Brown is career 36.5% for reference).  He is 27.  There is a whole lot to like about Towns.

I am not really that concerned about a ATL-MIN trade, but I would hope if this is true that the Celtics are looking at what it would take to get him to Boston.  In my mind, any trade that didn't include Tatum or Brown would be a no-brainer.  Smart, White, Brogdon, RWill, any combination of those players and I am fine.

But realistically, I think it would take Brown to top what other teams would offer.  I had come up with this in another thread:

Brown + Pritchard + Muscala
for
Towns + Kyle Anderson

People say we can't trade Brown unless he has agreed to sign or extend with the new team.  I am not sure that is true.  The new team can still offer the most if he does become a UFA.  And people like to say Towns is bad on defense.  I don't know how true that is.  Or how good he needs to be.  Denver is able to play defense with Jokic, we should be able to play defense with Towns.

It is a tough call.  Brown is a very solid all star level player.  Tough to give that up.  But a big like Towns is a valuable commodity in the league also.
Exactly. You have to consider ANY trade that doesn't include JT or JB.

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2023, 10:09:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Boston - Towns, Murray
Minnesota - Brown

Something like that.

I like that deal but it seems very homerish,    as we clearly win with both teams

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 10:36:14 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

Boston - Towns, Murray
Minnesota - Brown

Something like that.

I like that deal but it seems very homerish,    as we clearly win with both teams

Do we really win both?  The MIN-BOS part is Brown for Towns.  Hard to say who wins that but there are many who want no part of Towns.  I like Towns but I would say a straight up trade is a wash or slightly favors MIN based on all the risks associated with Towns.  For example, Towns and a future second for Brown to me would be about even value.  There is risk that Brown walks but with Towns, there is risk that he would "check out" again and just be a dead weight contract.

And for Murray, we are giving up Smart and 3 firsts?  That is a clear win for ATL.  Smart for Murray straight up is debatable, Smart + 3 firsts is a huge overpay in my mind.  I have no interest in Murray for Smart in any case.  I like Smart better, not by a huge amount, but still better.