Author Topic: Brogdon, Gallo, 1st for Porzingis?  (Read 2506 times)

Re: Brogdon, Gallo, 1st for Porzingis?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2023, 07:35:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Porzingis has a player option which he presumably is likely to decline. After that he's a free agent.
Not sure how this works. This season Porzingis has played like an All Star, that package is certainly not out of order.
But I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of his game. But the fit with Timelord could be formidable.

I don't like the fit with Timelord. I thought Porzingis benefited a lot from being able to play center this season instead of having to space the floor for a roll man (Dwight Powell in DAL). He was much more involved in the offense, touched the ball more often, got touches in the midrange and post ups. He improved his scoring efficiency lifting his TS% from 56% in DAL to 62% in WAS. He also upped his passing a little (1.8apg to 2.7apg) with a positive AST:TO ratio at 2.7:2.1.

I believe Porzingis would take a step back offensively if asked to play alongside a paint-only big man like Rob Williams who would get in Porzingis' way on offense.

If you look at his shot chart, you see 170 of his shots come at the rim, 231 shots inside 3-10 feet, 165 shots 10-16 feet. Only 96 shots in the 16-23 feet range. He took a load of 3s with 356. But the shot chart shows he takes most of his shots within 15 feet of the basket. About 56-57% of his shots came with 15 feet. So he does a lot of his work inside the paint and in the midrange. That makes it hard to pair a paint-only big man like Rob Williams with him on offense without disrupting Porzingis' offense. 

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2023, 09:03:43 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I thought Porzingis was a UFA???

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2023, 09:06:22 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Looked it up, he has a PO. He could opt out though? I haver a 5am flight in the morning, so I could be way off, but can you trade for a guy with a PO?

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2023, 02:02:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Porzingas is hurt as much if not more than Brogdon.

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2023, 06:04:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Porzingas is hurt as much if not more than Brogdon.

Yup ..lol…he s a walking medical issue waiting to happen .

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2023, 06:49:27 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Looked it up, he has a PO. He could opt out though? I haver a 5am flight in the morning, so I could be way off, but can you trade for a guy with a PO?

Safe flight! He has about two weeks to opt into his Player Option, his deadline is June 21st, and teams have a general deadline of June 29th for player/team/etc options, because free agency opens on the 30th.

In theory, any team aside from Denver and Miami could trade for him right now - but in practice there's no reason to, because the lay of the free agency landscape won't be settled until the 30th. So either he opts in and is on an expiring contract, or he's an UFA and we wouldn't have to trade for him anyway.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2023, 08:51:13 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's an interesting idea and maybe just needs refinement.

I am intrigued because it keeps together the core of this team: Tatum/Brown/Smart. If you can manage to keep Timelord too, then I would go for it, but even if not, you have to consider it.

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2023, 11:10:04 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
From a pure player value standpoint, Brogdon + Gallo for Porzingis is about fair.  You don't know what you are going to get from Gallo but probably 8th or 9th guy off the bench.  Brogdon is the 6th man (albeit a starter on many teams).  Porzingis is an all star level starting PF/C.  All 3 players have injury questions/histories.  I could see Porzingis picking up his option to play for the Celtics, not sure Gallo does to play for WAS, but maybe.

The problem I have with this is why would WAS do it.  They are already down a PF by trading Hachimura.  They may lose Kuzma.  Brogdon and Beal would give them a very solid "win now" back court.  Then they have Kuzma and a bunch of unproven young players.  Don't see that team going anywhere really.  I guess if Porzingis says trade me or I walk, then maybe something like this.  Porzingis would be leaving a lot of money on the table likely, if he were to walk and test FA.

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2023, 11:41:17 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
From a pure player value standpoint, Brogdon + Gallo for Porzingis is about fair.  You don't know what you are going to get from Gallo but probably 8th or 9th guy off the bench.  Brogdon is the 6th man (albeit a starter on many teams).  Porzingis is an all star level starting PF/C.  All 3 players have injury questions/histories.  I could see Porzingis picking up his option to play for the Celtics, not sure Gallo does to play for WAS, but maybe.

The problem I have with this is why would WAS do it.  They are already down a PF by trading Hachimura.  They may lose Kuzma.  Brogdon and Beal would give them a very solid "win now" back court.  Then they have Kuzma and a bunch of unproven young players.  Don't see that team going anywhere really.  I guess if Porzingis says trade me or I walk, then maybe something like this.  Porzingis would be leaving a lot of money on the table likely, if he were to walk and test FA.
Washington would do it to enter rebuilding which they should do.  Pick up a 1st, Gallo's expiring, and then rehab Brogdon to move later on for additional assets.  Then they trade Beal for the real haul and fully rebuild.  It might take another asset or two, but it at least in theory makes sense as a rebuilding type trade and I'm not sure they'd do better than that for the Zinger given he is expiring and hurt a lot.

Zinger, Morris, 42

For

Brogdon, Gallo, Pritchard, Kornet, Muscala, 24 1st, 26 1st (lotto), cash

Something like that, I think makes sense for both teams.

C's post trade
Starters - Smart, Brown, Tatum, Zinger, Rob
Rotation - Morris, White, Hauser, Grant, Horford
Bench - Davison, Champagnie, 35, 42
1 open spot

That seems like a better and more balanced team.  Does eliminate some future flexibility, but I do think thst team is better and that should be the goal.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2023, 11:50:46 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Kigaro12  2 months ago
Weird that KP is an obvious improvement over Dinwiddie and Bertans but the team’s record isn’t improving despite the obvious difference between what we sent out vs what we got.

Comments from a Wizards fan on their fansite on SBNation.

Wizards finished 35 wins 47 losses in 2023 and with 35 wins and 47 losses in 2022.

Beal only played 50 games this season but he managed only 40 games in 2022. Even less the year before. Btw, I had no idea Beal had so many games missed with injury last two years. This should be a key point for discussion on all Jaylen for Beal swap proposals.

Dinwiddie only played 44 games in 2022 for WAS. Bertans barely played. End of roation guy. So that is all they were swapping out for Porzingis.

There SRS was considerably better though. It was negative 3.23 points per 100 possessions in 2022 compared to negative 1.06 points per 100 possessions with Porzingis in 2023. So there is an argument there that the team exceeded expected W-L in 2022 (32 win team estimate by SRS) compared to underachieved in 2023 when a 38 win season was expected.

Still, it is all rather weird ... that Porzingis should have such a strong season, probably the best in his career, and yet still fail to move the needle in terms wins and losses.

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2023, 12:01:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Beal has played many fewer games (50) than Porziņģis (82), since they both were on the Wizards roster.