Author Topic: The more I think about it, this how I see the offseason playing out  (Read 3870 times)

Re: The more I think about it, this how I see the offseason playing out
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 09:41:29 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Lakers renounce: Lopez, Wear, Thomas, Caldwell-Pope, Frye, Zubac, Bryant, Ennis
Lakers cut and stretch provision Deng
Lakers let Randle walk

Lakers sign Paul George to max contract and LeBron James follows
Lakers use the MLE on a centre and fill the rest of the roster out with Vet Min

San Antonio signs Leonard to super max after Pop and Kawhi mends relationship and also lets Parker walk because of publicly criticizing Leonard, Ginobili returns for one more year.

Chris Paul returns to Houston on a short term max deal along with Capela.

Cousins gets a 1+ 1 (team option) max deal for the Pelicans

Phoenix Suns makes a substantial offer to Marcus Smart in restricted free agency that Celtics can't match.

How many things do you think i will get wrong?
The Lakers can't use the MLE after signing players using cap space. All they can use is the Room Exception which is $4 million less than the MLE. Probably changes who they can get at center.

Also, Cousins has an Achilles injury not ACL. Achilles is much more severe regarding coming back as good as before the injury. Probably means Cousins could be looking at a one year, prove it to me deal.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I don't see why a young team (Suns) would tie up substantial money in a player who doesn't have significant upside (Smart). I think the player is who he is. He is a defensive, locker room guy who can handle the ball. Maybe a team overpays for him, but I just don't see a team like the Suns doing that. In fact, I don't see any team overpaying for him. It's long been rumored Orlando might be a destination for Smart. I guess I just don't understand why any team would invest more than $15m per annum on the player.

I hope you're wrong on this prediction (Smart). My hope is he stays on a 2 year deal at or near market value (something in the $13m per value). While this might be short of where he sees his value, I think this is about right. He can continue to show his value.

Who knows, his role could increase should all these ludicrous rumors of Kyrie trades come to fruition :D

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 10:08:21 PM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310
I don't see why a young team (Suns) would tie up substantial money in a player who doesn't have significant upside (Smart). I think the player is who he is. He is a defensive, locker room guy who can handle the ball. Maybe a team overpays for him, but I just don't see a team like the Suns doing that. In fact, I don't see any team overpaying for him. It's long been rumored Orlando might be a destination for Smart. I guess I just don't understand why any team would invest more than $15m per annum on the player.

I hope you're wrong on this prediction (Smart). My hope is he stays on a 2 year deal at or near market value (something in the $13m per value). While this might be short of where he sees his value, I think this is about right. He can continue to show his value.

Who knows, his role could increase should all these ludicrous rumors of Kyrie trades come to fruition :D

My thought process is that the Suns have major defensive and culture issues which Smart would solve, he’s still very young himself and would be a perfect counter balance to Booker.

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 10:18:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Lakers renounce: Lopez, Wear, Thomas, Caldwell-Pope, Frye, Zubac, Bryant, Ennis
Lakers cut and stretch provision Deng
Lakers let Randle walk

Lakers sign Paul George to max contract and LeBron James follows
Lakers use the MLE on a centre and fill the rest of the roster out with Vet Min

San Antonio signs Leonard to super max after Pop and Kawhi mends relationship and also lets Parker walk because of publicly criticizing Leonard, Ginobili returns for one more year.

Chris Paul returns to Houston on a short term max deal along with Capela.

Cousins gets a 1+ 1 (team option) max deal for the Pelicans

Phoenix Suns makes a substantial offer to Marcus Smart in restricted free agency that Celtics can't match.

How many things do you think i will get wrong?

You watched that Larry Coon infographic the other day too huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmQvxNf-9bI&list=PLxDH8ZPF6lbIgDwOglbWyrmjgw1qYBeCd&index=5
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 10:19:37 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I guess so. But it would take the Suns overpaying to attract him. Couldn't they just snag a cost controlled player at pick 16 in this year's draft who would play a similar role and would perhaps have higher upside and could perhaps shoot (Donte DiVincenzo, Troy Brown)?

It just seems like they could be a few years away from a signing like Smart.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
How does Ball, Ingram, Lebron, George, Kuzma win in the West?

I get he wants to go to LA but that isn't enough. Those young guys need to develop and Lebron is in win now mode. They would need seriously solid MLE/vet minimum guys to fill that roster out to even last 5-6 against GS or Houston.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)