Author Topic: Donaghy points fingers at players and coaches  (Read 7713 times)

Donaghy points fingers at players and coaches
« on: May 20, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3404607

Disgraced basketball referee Tim Donaghy told investigators in the NBA betting probe that relationships among officials, coaches and players "affected the outcome of games," his attorney said. The league said the charges were unfounded.

Tim Donaghy

Donaghy

Donaghy's attorney made the assertions in a letter filed in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn on Monday, in which he argued that his client should be sentenced to probation because he fully cooperated with prosecutors and has been undergoing treatment for his gambling addiction.

The attorney also suggested that Donaghy told investigators about the gambling activities of other NBA officials and about a referee that passed "confidential" information to an unidentified coach.

True or not, this isn't good for the NBA.

Re: Donaghy points fingers at players and coaches
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 10:17:48 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
In a footnote, the attorney suggested that the NBA might have "pressured" the attorney's office "into shutting down this prosecution to avoid the disclosure of information unrelated to Tim's conduct."

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:22:32 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i was always amazed at how quick everyone bought the david stern koolaid on the "well, other officals gambled, and there getting let off the hook. this guy was a rogue though" explination.

If this leads to a change in the stagnant, star driven officals pool, im all for it. clean out the closet.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:28 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
i was always amazed at how quick everyone bought the david stern koolaid on the "well, other officals gambled, and there getting let off the hook. this guy was a rogue though" explination.

If this leads to a change in the stagnant, star driven officals pool, im all for it. clean out the closet.

But this is about Players and Coaches fixing games.  According to Donaghy.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 10:26:51 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
As much as Jeff (and most likely others on this board) "hate" Rasheed Wallace, he was the first to publicly call out Donaghy back in 2003 for his shady behavior, and was actually suspended multiple games for it.

Donaghy certainly isn't "rogue" like Stern would like to have us believe, but he must have done something to upset the powers-that-be to get thrown under the bus.

I'm not saying TD is 100% factual in his remarks, but I'd gather there is a good element of truth in what he's saying.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Not sure who to believe in this one.  I have a hard time believing a guy like Donaghy who is most likely at a stage where he's throwing anything out there to see if it sticks to save his own butt.  On the otherhand, there seems to be some fishy stuff going on every now and then when it comes to officiating.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:44:16 AM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
No -- what he said in essence was just that referees played favorites with players and coaches they liked/didn't like to a degree that may have affected the score of some games.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Disgraced basketball referee Tim Donaghy told investigators in the NBA betting probe that relationships among officials, coaches and players "affected the outcome of games," his attorney said. The league said the charges were unfounded.

Tim Donaghy

Donaghy

Donaghy's attorney made the assertions in a letter filed in U.S. District Court in Brooklyn on Monday, in which he argued that his client should be sentenced to probation because he fully cooperated with prosecutors and has been undergoing treatment for his gambling addiction.

The attorney also suggested that Donaghy told investigators about the gambling activities of other NBA officials and about a referee that passed "confidential" information to an unidentified coach.

I'm not sure if it's poor writing or if Donaghy was being purposefully vague, but it's hard to tell if Donaghy is alleging that players / coaches helped to fix games.

I mean, what does "affected the outcome of games" mean?  Does that mean that because a certain official dislikes Tim Duncan, he's more likely (consciously or sub-consciously) to call a foul on him, and thus potentially affect the outcome of the game?  Does it mean that some superstars get preferential treatment?  Does it mean that officials like some coaches better than others?

If Donaghy is alleging the above, then the response is "You're not saying anything new here".  I mean, we know all that goes on, and so long as Donaghy isn't pointing a finger at Stern saying that Stern directed him to prefer one team over another, those aren't big allegations.

However, if Donaghy is suggesting that some players / coaches were complicit in changing the outcome of games, then yes, that is absolutely a bombshell.

One thing this should clear up is allegation that Stern is directing the officials to benefit one team over another.  If that was the case, you can be absolutely certain that Donaghy would be saying it now.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
No -- what he said in essence was just that referees played favorites with players and coaches they liked/didn't like to a degree that may have affected the score of some games.

about a referee that passed "confidential" information to an unidentified coach.

Giving information to coaches. 

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 10:49:09 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
about a referee that passed "confidential" information to an unidentified coach.

Yeah, presumably that was about an injury issue.  That shouldn't be discussed, period.  The league should do an investigation as to who the ref was, and they should discipline him, but of course they won't.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 10:54:48 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Yeah, presumably that was about an injury issue.  That shouldn't be discussed, period.  The league should do an investigation as to who the ref was, and they should discipline him, but of course they won't.

The coach should be punished as well.

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 11:00:15 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Tim Donaghy

Donaghy

I'm not sure if it's poor writing or if Donaghy was being purposefully vague, but it's hard to tell if Donaghy is alleging that players / coaches helped to fix games.

I mean, what does "affected the outcome of games" mean?  Does that mean that because a certain official dislikes Tim Duncan, he's more likely (consciously or sub-consciously) to call a foul on him, and thus potentially affect the outcome of the game?  Does it mean that some superstars get preferential treatment?  Does it mean that officials like some coaches better than others?

If Donaghy is alleging the above, then the response is "You're not saying anything new here".  I mean, we know all that goes on, and so long as Donaghy isn't pointing a finger at Stern saying that Stern directed him to prefer one team over another, those aren't big allegations.

However, if Donaghy is suggesting that some players / coaches were complicit in changing the outcome of games, then yes, that is absolutely a bombshell.

One thing this should clear up is allegation that Stern is directing the officials to benefit one team over another.  If that was the case, you can be absolutely certain that Donaghy would be saying it now.

This is what I believe and I believe it because this is not the first time I heard it.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 11:05:56 AM »

Offline mkogav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 537
An NBA ref fixes games and at least 1 playoff series for the mob. The NBA front office says that it's an isolated case. The collective media world goes, 'ok' and forgets it.

Meanwhile in pro football, a coach tapes offensive/defensive signals from an illegal area. The sports media decides that the world is about to end.

Now Donaghy says that other refs, coaches, and players r dirty and he is deemed not credible by Stern. No one in the media seems to care.

However, Matt Walsh is the model of integrity and truth. In fact Senior Senator Arlen Spector is sponsoring a bill to add Matt Walsh's head to Mount Rushmore.

What am I missing?

Mk

Sickness, insanity and death were the angels that surrounded my cradle and they have followed me throughout my life - Edvard Munch

DKC Knicks

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 11:10:42 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
An NBA ref fixes games and at least 1 playoff series for the mob. The NBA front office says that it's an isolated case. The collective media world goes, 'ok' and forgets it.

Meanwhile in pro football, a coach tapes offensive/defensive signals from an illegal area. The sports media decides that the world is about to end.

Now Donaghy says that other refs, coaches, and players r dirty and he is deemed not credible by Stern. No one in the media seems to care.

However, Matt Walsh is the model of integrity and truth. In fact Senior Senator Arlen Spector is sponsoring a bill to add Matt Walsh's head to Mount Rushmore.

What am I missing?

Mk

If it wasn't the Patriots and Bellicheck that probably would not be the case.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Not a Pats fan but, this does smack of hypocrisy IMO.  Stern nipped it in the bud and everyone fell right in line, while the Pats continue to get roasted over what amounts to 'stealing signs'.  Give me a break.  It's all about trying to knock the Pats down.   Sports journalism is an oxymoron. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10