Author Topic: JJ Redick  (Read 10326 times)

Re: JJ Redick
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
I'd much rather see us trade BBD and the 30th and move up a bit and try and pick a big center. Maybe that Koustas kid, or even Hibbert. I am still thinking Hibbert might just be too slow a foot to play in the NBA, but he is huge. JJ is the type of player you pick up as a free agent. I live down here in Duke country and am a big Duke fan, but JJ is also too slow a foot to do anything but sit at the three point line.

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
im not really a fan of moving BBD, he's a solid bench guy with no where to go but up, and we will need those next year.

I think we can pick up a backup center no problem, im very ok with perk. were never going to have 5 incredible guys on the floor at once with a salary cap, and perk plays his role very well. add to that the improvement we've seen this year and his age, and i think were fine at center.

Just ship out scott pollards corpse and bring in another jurnymen backup, and heck even grab a center at 30 if we feel the need.

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
If JJ can't get on the court in Orlando, where with Dwight Howard every spot up shooter is valuable, what chance does he have here? 1st round pick is way too much for him, he can be had in free agency, and now that the Celtic's stock has improved so much, Boston is now a desired destination.

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 10:58:43 AM »

Offline FatoineLover

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 23
JJ is not undersized, he is 6' 4". That is the same height as Tony Allen, JJ has more muscle, and he is a MUCH better dribbler. I would trade anyone not in our starting 5 for him this off-season. He would replace House and TA as our shooting guard off the bench. The man can shoot, he has a mid range game, and he is really a decent defender. Just because JJ and Dickau have the same ethnic background, it doesn't make them the same player. I think JJ will prove a lot of people wrong and I hope he does it as a Celtic.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2008, 11:29:07 AM »

Offline cfly34

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
fatoinelover, do you want to be in my fantasy basketball league? i think i would really enjoy making trades with you, given your keen insight and superior scouting skills...

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 11:29:50 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
im not really a fan of moving BBD, he's a solid bench guy with no where to go but up, and we will need those next year.

I think we can pick up a backup center no problem, im very ok with perk. were never going to have 5 incredible guys on the floor at once with a salary cap, and perk plays his role very well. add to that the improvement we've seen this year and his age, and i think were fine at center.

Just ship out scott pollards corpse and bring in another jurnymen backup, and heck even grab a center at 30 if we feel the need.

You're not going to get anyone with any upside that is a 7 foot center at the 30th spot. BBD and Powe are a duplicate of each other. Short guys for the center backup and not really capable of playing the 4 other than backup minutes. Why have both on this team? I will take Powe hands down over BBD. Powe has the work ethic and hunger that BBD doesn't. BBD's hunger is at the dinner table. Powe is a tough player who finishes around the rim with authority. BBD can't jump. He does however have a unique ability to score around the basket and there are teams out there that would trade for him. I would include TA in there if that is what it took. You'd likely have to get down to the 15-18 range to get one of those two. We need a really big body to develop and this is an easy way to do it.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

You're not going to get anyone with any upside that is a 7 foot center at the 30th spot. BBD and Powe are a duplicate of each other. Short guys for the center backup and not really capable of playing the 4 other than backup minutes. Why have both on this team? I will take Powe hands down over BBD. Powe has the work ethic and hunger that BBD doesn't. BBD's hunger is at the dinner table. Powe is a tough player who finishes around the rim with authority. BBD can't jump. He does however have a unique ability to score around the basket and there are teams out there that would trade for him. I would include TA in there if that is what it took. You'd likely have to get down to the 15-18 range to get one of those two. We need a really big body to develop and this is an easy way to do it.

I've never seen anything on the court that proves this statement.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 11:36:05 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
JJ could not earn playing time over Keith Bogans/Maurice Evans --I have no idea why we would want him--we are not weak at the 2 and Orlando is--but he couldn't get on the floor for Orlando--just a silly overrating of a good college player who is a marginal NBA player. :-\
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

You're looking in the wrong place. It's not what happens on the court that determines if the guy truly is committed to being the very best he can be, but what happens before and after. Go stick BBD on the scales right now and compare that to right after training camp.  He is clearly heavier than he was back then. He physically more resembles the college fatter BBD than the first of the year. This tells you that he doesn't have the desire or discipline to keep himself in top physical shape. That results in slower movements on the court and less vertical and less stamina. (trust me I speak from experience on that one!) How much time does he spend on his own shooting free throws?! He went from being a 70% + FT shooter the first of the year to a 50-60% one. He doesn't need playing time to work on things like that. Powe did the reverse.

Powe on the other hand is a ripped physical specimen and worked his tail off to get where he is today. He could have quit over a lot of things in his life and overcame them. BBD went from being a projected lottery pick to sliding into the second round because of his work ethic.

One of the things that I thought took Larry from being a very good basketball player to the greatest ever (or close) was his tireless work ethic off the floor. How many times did they show him running around the Garden before games without a soul in the gym. He was always listed as the first one there and the last one to leave. THAT is what desire and heart does for you. It doesn't make you fatter...

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 12:54:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If I had to choose right now between BBD and Powe I would go with BBD for the pure fact that he has a lot more upside. He can be dominant against other small PFs, can body out the larger PFs and can give you center minutes against some of the behemoths like Yao and Shaq because of his tremendous lower body strength and size. I also think he has a better outside shot and is a better passer than Powe.

But that would be my decision right now. Since I don't need to make that decision right now I wouldn't. EJ brings up some very real concerns about Davis. I would let the whole thing play out one more year and see if Davis can work his body into a more effective machine.

If he can't move him at the deadline or end of next year and keep Powe. If he does change though, he could be a very special weapon.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 02:13:27 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If I had to choose right now between BBD and Powe I would go with BBD for the pure fact that he has a lot more upside. He can be dominant against other small PFs, can body out the larger PFs and can give you center minutes against some of the behemoths like Yao and Shaq because of his tremendous lower body strength and size. I also think he has a better outside shot and is a better passer than Powe.

But that would be my decision right now. Since I don't need to make that decision right now I wouldn't. EJ brings up some very real concerns about Davis. I would let the whole thing play out one more year and see if Davis can work his body into a more effective machine.

If he can't move him at the deadline or end of next year and keep Powe. If he does change though, he could be a very special weapon.

I agree that BBD seems to have more upside, but the lack of discipline trumps all that. Let's not forget that before Powe's injury in college he was as highly touted as BBD was. The only reason that BBD got so much press was due to him being a quick fat man. Had he been normal sized he wouldn't even have made the news. That's why he slipped so much. I think if you wait a year and he stays chubby and he remains a 1 out of 6 good game player you lose your ability to get anything in return. Powe is a much more certain thing and as a backup he has been phenomenal off the bench. Take the player with heart and desire anytime. Get what you can out of BBD while you still can.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
JJ could not earn playing time over Keith Bogans/Maurice Evans --I have no idea why we would want him--we are not weak at the 2 and Orlando is--but he couldn't get on the floor for Orlando--just a silly overrating of a good college player who is a marginal NBA player. :-\

Mo Evans is a quality player - he would be great in our system as the Tony Allen replacement.

That said, your point remains - Reddick is not an NBA player.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

You're looking in the wrong place. It's not what happens on the court that determines if the guy truly is committed to being the very best he can be, but what happens before and after. Go stick BBD on the scales right now and compare that to right after training camp.  He is clearly heavier than he was back then. He physically more resembles the college fatter BBD than the first of the year. This tells you that he doesn't have the desire or discipline to keep himself in top physical shape. That results in slower movements on the court and less vertical and less stamina. (trust me I speak from experience on that one!) How much time does he spend on his own shooting free throws?! He went from being a 70% + FT shooter the first of the year to a 50-60% one. He doesn't need playing time to work on things like that. Powe did the reverse.

Powe on the other hand is a ripped physical specimen and worked his tail off to get where he is today. He could have quit over a lot of things in his life and overcame them. BBD went from being a projected lottery pick to sliding into the second round because of his work ethic.

One of the things that I thought took Larry from being a very good basketball player to the greatest ever (or close) was his tireless work ethic off the floor. How many times did they show him running around the Garden before games without a soul in the gym. He was always listed as the first one there and the last one to leave. THAT is what desire and heart does for you. It doesn't make you fatter...

I could say many of those same things about Pierce. But I think he proves it on the court. Same with Davis. I also think the Celtics may put him on the Perkins 1st to 2nd year body plan.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
JJ is not undersized, he is 6' 4". That is the same height as Tony Allen, JJ has more muscle, and he is a MUCH better dribbler. I would trade anyone not in our starting 5 for him this off-season. He would replace House and TA as our shooting guard off the bench. The man can shoot, he has a mid range game, and he is really a decent defender. Just because JJ and Dickau have the same ethnic background, it doesn't make them the same player. I think JJ will prove a lot of people wrong and I hope he does it as a Celtic.

:o

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 05:27:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
JJ is not undersized, he is 6' 4".

Yeah, but he's got tiny little T-rex arms.  He measured out at the combine at 6'3.25", but his wingpan was only 6'2".  I'm fairly certain he was the only player to have a wingspan shorter than his height; most players' wingspans are about 2 inches longer than their height.

I'd gamble on Redick, but I don't think he's the physical specimen that you do.  I see him as a shooter, and not much more than that.  However, shooters can make a good living in this league if they're good enough at it (see Wally, Reggie Miller, etc., etc.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions