Utah in 5
0 (0%)
Utah in 6
3 (25%)
Utah in 7
2 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: May 06, 2008, 06:24:14 PM

Author Topic: L.A. Lakers vs Utah - Western Conference SemiFinals  (Read 15206 times)

L.A. Lakers vs Utah - Western Conference SemiFinals
« on: May 03, 2008, 04:19:37 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Last round I picked against the Lakers with my heart.  This round I'm doing it with my head.  Utah has the depth, discipline and talent to withstand Kobe and company's best shot.

Jazz take it in 6

Yup

Re: L.A. Lakers vs Utah - Western Conference SemiFinals
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
This is gonna be a great series.  Utah can keep up with the Lakers but Kobe is playing with a purpose and I think he will go off in this series.  Home court decides it.

Lakers in 7.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:27:04 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Lakers will win this series

They can't defend Kobe Bryant. Heck, Kobe rolled into Utah on their homecourt without Gasol without Bynum while his team was in a rut and proceeded to 20 piece the Jazz. They can't defend Kobe.

Did you see what an injured Tracy McGrady was able to do against the Jazz? Now imagine what a blood thirsty Kobe Bryant can do if he needs to.

Kobe is one of the two smartest players in the game today, he'll find a way to win. You can bank on that.

This is a good matchup for LA. Boozer and Okur can't defend Odom and Gasol so expect to see their lovely passing continue. Fisher defends Deron as well as anyone, perhaps better than anyone. LA's bench can match Utah's bench. LA's shooting can match Utah's shooting. LA's execution is just as good as Utah's. Their passing and movement is better than Utah's. This is a good matchup for LA.

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »

Offline Cooldude5t5

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 36
who covers Kobe? Harping is too slow, Kirilenko is a good defender but is also too slow, Brewer is too young and Kobe will eat him alive. The matchups at SF,PF,C are all pretty even with a slight edge going to LA. The only position where Utah has a advantage is at the point, but again Kobe vs. Utah's SG decides this series.  LA in 6

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 06:22:19 PM »

Offline fan33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 5
Yep, should be probably one of the most entertaing and close scoring matchups thus far in these playoffs!

Got to go with the nasties in 7, on their home court  :P
"Indefatigable on Defense, defines these Celtics"

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 06:52:01 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Disagree on the PF matchup. Boozer can defend Gasol much better than Gasol can defend him. Gasol would have trouble defending Lou Roe.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 07:10:37 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Disagree on the PF matchup. Boozer can defend Gasol much better than Gasol can defend him. Gasol would have trouble defending Lou Roe.
Well I expect Boozer to be defending Odom and Okur on Pau but Pau's length would allow him to score on Booz easier than Boozer could score on him. Pau's a very underrated low post scorer. He was one of five players to score double digits in the paint this season (Booz was 6th or 7th with 9 points out of the paint). He's got a bunch of quality moves, his hook shots going either way are unstoppable. He makes great use of his height and length by keeping the ball high. Gasol is shooting 58% from the floor since being in LA.

I think Boozer is the better player but this isn't a particularly good matchup for him. Booz doesn't matchup with big men who pass out of the high post well. His advantage is his strength, not his ball denial or his active hands in the passing lane. Pau or Odom, whoever he's guarding, should be able to hurt Utah with their passing ability because of this. Boozer is better with someone like David West who's a scorer that he can body up.

Gasol's defense is also better than he's given credit for, although that's mainly because of his physical size and length than defensive abilities, but he is better defensively than his reputation claims.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Utah in 6.  Their big men will control the inside.  They will be able to control the pace. 

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 05:15:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Anybody else watching the Jazz-Lakers first game?

Lakers are cutting the Jazz apart. Excellent passing, shooting and of course that Kobe fellow is dominating.

Lakers 68-51 halfway through the third. They've been in complete control all game.

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 05:56:23 PM »

Offline Scott

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Jazz just cut the lead to 4 points off Brewer's layup.  4:30 left to go in the fourth.

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 05:59:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Jazz just cut the lead to 4 points off Brewer's layup.  4:30 left to go in the fourth.
The Jazz of really come back strong. Much better in the second half. They're not settling for jump shots anymore. Lots more movement, cutting and passing below 15 feet and they've been getting much better shots because of it.

Lakers' offensive rhythm is out of whack after Kobe's scoring binge. Not a lot of other go-to scorers. Gasol or Odom needs to step up and give them a couple of buckets.

The Jazz have killed LA on the offensive glass. 21 offensive rebounds tonight. Okur has been the main culprit, think he has 18 boards now (8 offensive). Still, only one or two offensive rebounds in the fourth. Lakers doing better on that now.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
I like Utah in this series,and think they can beat the Lakers,in 7.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 08:21:04 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
A few thoughts on the series so far

• Boozer can't defend Lamar Odom to save his life. Odom is destroying him off the dribble and drawing fouls on the big fella at a serious clip. Lamar is just too quick, too agile and too good off the bounce.
  • The Jazz can't do a thing with Kobe Bryant
  • Derek Fisher has defend Deron Williams even better than I thought he could. He's playing great basketball
  • The Lakers ball movement is a thing of beauty. They're cutting Utah apart and doing it easily.
  • The Jazz have some belief issues. Getting back home in front of their massive fan support will do them wonders.
  • The Lakers length under the hoop is making life very difficult for the Jazz. Their speed also. LA keeps getting back in the play and altering Utah's shots around the rim
  • Utah has a huge rebounding edge, and a gigantic rebounding edge when Boozer is on the court instead of on the bench in foul trouble
  • The Jazz are putting a hurt on LA with their second chance points but they're giving it all right back in transition, their transition defense has been terrible. Losing their advantage needlessly.
  • It's really fun to watch Pau Gasol in the playoffs without him being ridiculously out-manned by the opposition. He and Okur are having a splendid battle.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 08:52:03 AM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266

• Boozer can't defend Lamar Odom to save his life. Odom is destroying him off the dribble and drawing fouls on the big fella at a serious clip. Lamar is just too quick, too agile and too good off the bounce.
  • Derek Fisher has defend Deron Williams even better than I thought he could. He's playing great basketball
  • The Lakers ball movement is a thing of beauty. They're cutting Utah apart and doing it easily.
  • The Jazz have some belief issues. Getting back home in front of their massive fan support will do them wonders.
  • The Lakers length under the hoop is making life very difficult for the Jazz. Their speed also. LA keeps getting back in the play and altering Utah's shots around the rim
  • Utah has a huge rebounding edge, and a gigantic rebounding edge when Boozer is on the court instead of on the bench in foul trouble
  • The Jazz are putting a hurt on LA with their second chance points but they're giving it all right back in transition, their transition defense has been terrible. Losing their advantage needlessly.
  • It's really fun to watch Pau Gasol in the playoffs without him being ridiculously out-manned by the opposition. He and Okur are having a splendid battle.
Who,the Jazz are really making my post look bad huh? ..."although,it ain't over till its over",right? ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 09:00:44 AM by jay_jay54 »

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Who,the Jazz are really my post look bad huh? ;D.."although,it ain't over till its over",right? ;D
Haha  ;D .... not a good start for Utah. They've goot a very good team, just vulnerable against LA. Worst matchup they could have gotten. Utah could still get back in this but I can't see LA losing this series.

My motto: When the MVP of the league has a great matchup and good help, his team wins. Kobe Bryant is the difference maker in this series. I just can't see him letting this series slip away.