Author Topic: Trade Idea: Derrick White for Markkanen  (Read 2661 times)

Trade Idea: Derrick White for Markkanen
« on: August 17, 2022, 03:25:50 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I probably have more of an affinity for Markkanen than I should because I lived in Finland but CLE has an imbalanced roster where they have too many bigs and not enough good guards (especially if they lose Sexton).  Now that we have Brogdon, we really have the combo guard position pretty well covered but need a back up center or just more big depth in general.

Salaries match almost exactly.  Both are kind of fringe starters.  CLE could start White and move LeVert to play as more of a pure wing.  Garland is a really good guard also.  They would have plenty of size with Mobley and Allen.  Markkanen may be be a bit redundant to Gallinari but we could start either Markkanen or Gallinari as the PF and use Horford off the bench to be the back up C that we still need.

I know people will say we need White in case Smart or Brogdon get hurt but Markkanen would be needed if Horford or Williams get hurt.  Markkanen as an "insurance big" seems more valuable to the Celtics than White as an "insurance combo guard".

Re: Trade Idea: Derrick White for Markkanen
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 03:40:37 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I don’t hate the idea, but does CLE need another PG? They already have Garland, Rubio, Rondo, Neto. Also, how is Markkanen defensively?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 03:41:22 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I don’t hate the idea, but does CLE need another PG. They already have Garland, Rubio, Rondo, Neto. Also, how is Markkanen defensively?

Don’t forget Sexton, who’s >90% likely to resign there.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 03:48:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
What CLE needs is a true wing or SF but we don't have a spare one to offer.  Garland is their starting PG and is really good.  I think White could start at guard alongside Garland and then move LeVert to the SF/Wing.  Last season they started Markkanen as the wing a lot.

Maybe CLE wouldn't be so interested but it seems to me they would have more needs or ways to use White than they do to use Markkanen.  I would not offer any more than White.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
I don’t hate the idea, but does CLE need another PG. They already have Garland, Rubio, Rondo, Neto. Also, how is Markkanen defensively?

Don’t forget Sexton, who’s >90% likely to resign there.

Yes, Sexton could come back and slot as a starter pushing White to more of a 6th man role.  But to me, Markkanen is kind of a glorified 6th man also so I see comparable value.  White is better than Rubio or Neto I think.  I had not heard that Rondo resigned with Cleveland.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 04:16:36 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I like the trade but I'm not sure there is reason for either team to do it.

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 04:21:40 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I like the trade but I'm not sure there is reason for either team to do it.
This. If the team used the TMLE on someone other than Gallo(or any decent stretch 4) and Cleveland didn't bring back so many guards, the trade makes sense for both teams. This late in the off-season, I don't see it happening.

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 04:55:48 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Isn’t Markkanen redundant of Gallo? Not as proven a scorer, but a bit better as a defender.

I’ll keep D White. I think this year we will see more of the good D White and less of the bad. And good D White is a very good player on both ends.

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 05:35:32 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Isn’t Markkanen redundant of Gallo? Not as proven a scorer, but a bit better as a defender.

I’ll keep D White. I think this year we will see more of the good D White and less of the bad. And good D White is a very good player on both ends.

Yes, Markkanen and Gallinari are similar.  They could both play the stretch PF role.  Horford slides over to back up C.  But as soon as Horford or RWill are injured, then you have a much greater need.

People are responding pretty much as I expected.  It is very much a lateral move that is more about roster balance than upgrade.  I view the long term or even medium term need for a good big as greater than the need for a good combo guard.

I don't view this trade as likely, at least in what remains of the off season.  If they do move White, I see it done at the deadline after we are sure what we have in Brogdon.

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2022, 05:47:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Yes, Markkanen and Gallinari are similar.  They could both play the stretch PF role.  Horford slides over to back up C.  But as soon as Horford or RWill are injured, then you have a much greater need.

People are responding pretty much as I expected.  It is very much a lateral move that is more about roster balance than upgrade.  I view the long term or even medium term need for a good big as greater than the need for a good combo guard.

I don't view this trade as likely, at least in what remains of the off season.  If they do move White, I see it done at the deadline after we are sure what we have in Brogdon.
If Gallo and Markkanen are redundant and if Al and TL getting injured shows a much greater need, if you're trading White, the position you should fill is a backup center, not stretch PF, especially since Grant can fill that stretch PF position quite adequately as well.

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2022, 11:02:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It is a poor value trade.  White is better and given what Boston gave up to get him, they can't make that type of a trade for a guy that basically no one wanted last summer.  Plus, I don't think he makes Boston better than keeping White, and I'd honestly trust someone like Dwight Howard more to be a spot starter at center than someone like Markkanen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2022, 07:40:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
Lauri Markkanen oli täysin pysäyttämätön kun Susijengi otti voiton Ukrainasta. 🏀💪 Markkasen uskomattomat 42 pistettä ja Suomen voitto antavat mitä parhaimmat lähtökohdat ensi viikon MM-karsintaan.

Translated (roughly), Markkanen went for 42 points, nine rebounds and three steals as Finland held off Ukraine by a 97-94 count in an exhibition win over Ukraine.

It is an exhibition game in advance of the 2022 EuroBasket but still a nice game.  Good to see him getting his work in.

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2022, 02:20:50 PM »

Online bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Still shocked we gave him up some much for white lol. Well Romeo is actually not an asset. It was Really Josh and first round pick but we overpaid.

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2022, 02:42:24 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
It is a poor value trade.  White is better and given what Boston gave up to get him, they can't make that type of a trade for a guy that basically no one wanted last summer.  Plus, I don't think he makes Boston better than keeping White, and I'd honestly trust someone like Dwight Howard more to be a spot starter at center than someone like Markkanen.

I am not sure that I agree that White is better than Markkanen.  Markkanen is a big that can shoot 3s.  White is a playmaking guard that can't and is 3 years older.  I like White, he helped the team.  I expect him to be better next season, more comfortable in his role.  But he is going to be what, our 8th player in terms of minutes, maybe 7th depending on how much Brogdon and Gallinari play.  Markkanen would slot about the same worst case but potentially higher.

But what we gave up to get him should have no impact on what we trade him for.  Many think we overpaid for him.  I tend to agree.  But that has nothing to do with what his current trade value is.

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2022, 05:29:50 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I like the idea from our side. I’d like to pry away Gary Harris even more.