Poll

Who will win the "fake" Atlantic Division in 2008-09?

Boston (Oden, Scola, Gallinari, Barbosa, Harris, etc.)
0 (0%)
New Jersey (Okur, West, Pierce, Maggette, Kidd, etc.)
13 (61.9%)
New York (Dampier, KG, Lewis, Azubuike, Miller, etc.)
5 (23.8%)
Philadelphia (Haywood, Smith, Artest, Miller, Alston, etc.)
2 (9.5%)
Toronto (Ilgauskas, Jamison, Young, Carter, Iverson, etc.)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division  (Read 26933 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2008, 03:40:18 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
I went back and forth between the Knicks and Nets for a couple of days. I was think close to giving it to the Knicks because of their defense. But in the end what swung my vote is that while the Knick can definitely play solid defense I still feat they're gonna go through prolonged scoring droughts whenever KG or Miller come off the court and that is gonna put tremendous pressure on that defense to be perfect more often than not.

The Nets while not superior defenders should be able to score when they want to on Azebuike and Lewis and I don't see the Knicks as potent enough to exploit Maggette's and Kidd's deficiencies at the defensive end consistently enough to beat them.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2008, 06:14:05 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
New Jersey (#1)
New York (#4)
Philadelphia (#6-#10)
Boston (#8-#12)
Toronto (#10-#15)

« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2008, 06:18:41 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
New York has the best defensive team, but I like New Jersey to take the division.  Toronto and Philly should also be strong playoff contenders.  Boston, clearly, is a team of the future.

I disagree. I think Philly are clearly a strong contender, but Toronto? No. They're not making the playoffs with no bench and ageing "stars" - AI can't carry this team to the playoffs.

I see Boston as having the potential to surprise a few teams and possibly even sneak the 8th spot.

« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2008, 10:12:44 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sorry I wasn't here on the designated day, I was on vacation and I am now engaged  :)

Anyways...

To try and address some questions people had.

1.First off the question asked most was dealing with the personalities of the team.  First regarding Haywood, I don't think he will have a problem he seems to butt heads with other who play around him.  I don't think Kurt Thomas will be a problem for him to play with, he knows he is the starter here, and Thomas is there to dispel him for his defense on other teams key bigs.  He knows he isn't an all-star but he will get plays called for him here and there to keep his confidence while showing he is part of the team.

Josh Smith on the other hand is going to be a star, this guy fills the stat sheet.  He is still very young and his time will be coming very soon.  He is a type of player that can impact a game from all angles, he will be given his shots especially on the fast break, he also shouldn't have much competition from Turiaf.  Since Smith is so young he will be given plenty of minutes as he can handle it.

Artest may have a problem at first since there is a lot of players at the SF position (Battier and Nocioni).  We're currently looking to turn one of the SF's into a suitable PG (starter or backup).  However, Artest is a versatile player who can guard many positions so he can still be given his minutes while Battier and Nocioni (both great defenders) come off the bench.

2.  Now who takes the last shot really depends on the situation.  If we are looking to take a long 2 or a 3 Miller will definitely take the shot as he is a superb spot up shooter.  If we are looking for someone to make there own shot we feel Artest can do that either in a jump shot or posting up other players using his body and strength.  Josh Smith will be given his shots as we feel in certain situations his athleticism can really be taken advantage of.

3.  As the PG position we are a little concerned with the lack of depth (even though we drafted and signed Pargo before his real decision to go to europe) there.  However, we don't think the type of offense this team will be utilizing necessarily has to run through a pure PG all the time.  The strength of this team is the SG/SF/PF position (especially with the depth of players coming off the bench) and the offense can move through other players as mismatches occur.

4.  A question was raised with dispelling Miller at the SG position, and Keith Bogans can be a significant player in filling in minutes off the bench.  He has a nice shot from the ark and can shoot a decent clip.  CJ Miles is a young SG who has showed promising things in his early years as well.  Also some of our SF could possible play the SG position as with Battier and Nocioni who are great help defenders the quickness of some opposing SGs can be overcome by the defense this team has.

Although we don't see our team as one of the 'elite'  we feel night in and night out we can keep close with the top teams due to our above average team and individual defenders.

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2008, 01:14:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Sorry I wasn't here on the designated day, I was on vacation and I am now engaged  :)

Congrats!  Exciting stuff.

The big question, though, is how this will effect your GM duties over the coming year.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2008, 02:02:03 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Congrats!  Exciting stuff.

The big question, though, is how this will effect your GM duties over the coming year.

yup
no side business allowed  ;) ;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!