Poll

Who will win the "fake" Atlantic Division in 2008-09?

Boston (Oden, Scola, Gallinari, Barbosa, Harris, etc.)
0 (0%)
New Jersey (Okur, West, Pierce, Maggette, Kidd, etc.)
13 (61.9%)
New York (Dampier, KG, Lewis, Azubuike, Miller, etc.)
5 (23.8%)
Philadelphia (Haywood, Smith, Artest, Miller, Alston, etc.)
2 (9.5%)
Toronto (Ilgauskas, Jamison, Young, Carter, Iverson, etc.)
1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division  (Read 26936 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Atlantic Division
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
For Boston: My concern would be depending on Oden to basically become Olajuwon offensively and carry the team at both ends without another legit post scorer. Scola seems more like a "garbage man" than a legit offensive threat. But as this team is a team for the future there's still a ton of time before this has to be settled. Any cncern for a lack of veteran leadership on the court?

For the Nets: I like them but I don't see a lot of defense on that team as they mentioned. How do you plan to match up with the youth and athleticism Philly plans to bring on the court? At the 2-3-4 spots I think Philly could match up with anybody in that division at both ends. Defensively I can see Philly simply wearing teams down.

For Philly: What's your hierarchy on offense? Who takes the big shot? What's your philosophy on offense? Who's the leader of this team?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:57:04 PM by bucknersrevenge »
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Eh...  I don't have as much time to dedicate to the press conferences today as I'd like.  So, quickly:

New Jersey:

1) Are you worried about the fact that Jason Kidd is 73 years old?

2) Do Maggette and Pierce get in each other's way?

3) Will Maggette handle being a third / fourth option?

4) How do you handle more athletic teams (Portland being one of them?)  Can you play a transition game against the elite running teams?

1) No

2) No

3) Yes

4a) By scoring more points than them.
4b) Yes

8)

(don't worry, not my full answers, I just it would be funny if someone posted there answers like this, real answers coming eventually)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 12:47:54 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Eh...  I don't have as much time to dedicate to the press conferences today as I'd like.  So, quickly:

New Jersey:

4) How do you handle more athletic teams (Portland being one of them?)  Can you play a transition game against the elite running teams?

1) No

2) No

3) Yes

4a) By scoring more points than them.
4b) Yes

8)

(don't worry, not my full answers, I just it would be funny if someone posted there answers like this, real answers coming eventually)

TP, good one.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2008, 01:22:07 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
where's the poll on this topic? haha

the nets have my vote. thats a very good win now team to me.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 01:29:05 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
We wait till all teams have had a chance to have present their team.

I talked to the Knicks GM last night.  He doesn't think he will be able to present his team today so I will throw something up covering what we talked about. 

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 02:09:37 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

New Jersey:

1) There is some concern with Kidd's age, but I think lesser minutes during the regular season as well as a much lesser load to carry will help Kidd stay effective longer.  Also Kidd has played 80 games the last 3 years so he's not constantly battling injuries like some other older players have.  Our window is limited with Kidd, but he was still very effective during the second half of last season.  Kidd has averaged alot of minutes over the past 3 years (36 last year, 37 the two years prior), dropping Kidd to about 30 minutes a game will really help I think.

2) Maybe.  This is a possibility, especially since there skill sets are redundant.  If they did get in each others way, this would be where we would move Maggette to the bench and have Pierce and Maggette play on different units.  Or if we start both, whoever we'd sub first (we'll say Pierce) we would be able to rest Pierce, then bring Pierce in for Maggette and rest Maggette.  Similar to how the C's subbed Pierce and Allen this year.

3) Yes.  Maggette was willing to sign with the real world C's and Spurs this year so I think that definitely shows a willingness to take a lesser role on championship caliber team.

4) I think we handle the more athletic (younger teams) with experience and a halfcourt game. Good team basketball can beat a more athletic team (just see US in prior recent international competition before this year).  With a team full of veterans we have players who know what they're doing and have seen it all, and are ready to put individual accomplishments behind, as well as using veteran tricks, and getting the veteran call from refs (we all know this happens in real life), this along with our great free throw shooting will help us against the more athletic (younger) teams.  Teams that want to run, will find it hard if we slow the tempo down and make our shots with our potent offense, it's hard to run off of made baskets.  I also think players like Kidd, Pierce, and Maggette they can successfully play an uptempo game for spurts.  That won't be our game, but we will be able to play it sometimes.

For the Nets: I like them but I don't see a lot of defense on that team as they mentioned. How do you plan to match up with the youth and athleticism Philly plans to bring on the court? At the 2-3-4 spots I think Philly could match up with anybody in that division at both ends. Defensively I can see Philly simply wearing teams down.

I think our depth will help us against teams like Philly.  2-3-4 spots match up well, so in instances like this we would utilize Okur and Kidd more.  Also Philly doesn't have a go to scorer, if they were to shut the Nets down who would score for Philly?  Artest can give you 25 or shut Pierce down, but he can't do both on the same night.  Also we have a very balanced offense, so if we spread the floor and share the ball, drive and dish that could help offset Philly's great defense.  Philly's defense is good, but players like Pierce and Maggette are great at getting to the line, it's hard to play tough defense without getting a few foul calls against you, so again here my excellent free throw shooting will really help me out.  Also NBA rules favor slashers (like Pierce and Maggette) over tough defenders like Artest and Battier.  Also in a playoff series who do you think the NBA would want to win, my team or a team like Philly's?  We know games are rigged any my team would also benefit here.

Philly does look tough, I can see them getting in a couple of fights and having some real grudge matches with teams like my own.  Not saying that Philly would start the fights, but I see so many tough defenders that another teams players would just get frusterated with and lose their cool (my players are too classy and controlled for that though  ;)).  Philly looks like Bad Boys 2009 to me.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney

I think our depth will help us against teams like Philly.  2-3-4 spots match up well, so in instances like this we would utilize Okur and Kidd more.  Also Philly doesn't have a go to scorer, if they were to shut the Nets down who would score for Philly?  Artest can give you 25 or shut Pierce down, but he can't do both on the same night.  Also we have a very balanced offense, so if we spread the floor and share the ball, drive and dish that could help offset Philly's great defense.  Philly's defense is good, but players like Pierce and Maggette are great at getting to the line, it's hard to play tough defense without getting a few foul calls against you, so again here my excellent free throw shooting will really help me out.  Also NBA rules favor slashers (like Pierce and Maggette) over tough defenders like Artest and Battier.  Also in a playoff series who do you think the NBA would want to win, my team or a team like Philly's?  We know games are rigged any my team would also benefit here.

Philly does look tough, I can see them getting in a couple of fights and having some real grudge matches with teams like my own.  Not saying that Philly would start the fights, but I see so many tough defenders that another teams players would just get frusterated with and lose their cool (my players are too classy and controlled for that though  ;)).  Philly looks like Bad Boys 2009 to me.

LOL I gotta say this maybe my favorite answer of the entire thread! That said I would love to see a Philly-Jersey series. Philly has so much length on defense and Josh Smith is a game-changing athlete. But as easy as it is to say Philly could wear a team down defensively, Jersey having not one but two guys that excel at getting to the line so much can also breakdown and wear down a defense as well. Jersey though appears to have a clear hierarchy in terms of what to do in a close game. I'm not sure about what Philly would do yet. But it would be a battle no doubt.

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The New York Knickerbockers

Starting linup

PG Andre Miller   (32.  6-2, 200)   
17, 6.9, 4.0, 1.28 steals.  .492
SG Kelenna Azubuike   (24.  6-5, 220)
8.5, 4.0, .445, .364.   (as a starter: 12.9, 5.4, .426 and .391 from 3)
SF Reshard Lewis    (29.  6'10, 230)
18.2, 5.4, .455, .409 from 3
PF Kevin Garnet   (32.  6'11, 23)
18.8, 3.4, 9.2, 1.45 steals, 1.25 blocks, .539, and DPOY
C  Eric Dampier   (33.  6'11, 265)
6.1, 7.5, 1.47 blocks

Bench
PG/SG  Brent Berry
PG     Marcus Banks
SG     Eddie House
SF     James Posey
PF     Kris Humphries
PF/C   Brian Skinner
C      Robin Lopez

Inactive players
PG     Mardy Collins
SG/SF  Greg Buckner
PF     Mark "Mad Dog" Madsen

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
Good looking Knicks team though I would've had Buckner active for his defense and Humphries inactive. Buckner is decent defensively and Humphries isn't needed with the backups they have at the 4 and 5 and even Lewis can slide up in a pinch. Beyond that I like this team though it is decidedly perimeter based. They bring nothing but shooters off the bench. In the crunch if this teams needs a go-to guy to make a play and get to the line who does it?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:30:32 PM by bucknersrevenge »

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Good looking Knicks team though I would've had Buckner active for his defense and Humphries inactive. Buckner is decent defensively and Humphries isn't needed with the backups they have at the 4 and 5 and even Lewis can slide up in a pinch. Beyond that I like this team though it is decidedly perimeter based. They bring nothing but shooters off the bench. In the cruch if this teams needs a go-to guy to make a play and get to the line who does it?

From talking to the Knicks, I gathered that it will be Buckner and Banks swapping in and out for the most part depending on the needs for a speedy PG defender or SG/SF defender.  Plus, Lopez has to prove himself (which the Knicks believe he will)

There is shooting and defense off the bench. 

In crunch time the ball is going to be in the hands of Miller and KG to create. 

Lewis to PF is one of the flexable moves the Knicks can make.  With the size of the PGs (Miller and Berry), small SGs like House can defend PGs while playing SG on offense.

The Knicks are also taking the chance the Banks can play like he did the last time he played with KG (12, 4.7, 1.2 steals, and .479)

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Quick note, I believe the Knicks are the only team not to make a trade. 

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2008, 03:42:08 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Boston - Any worry about the lack of size at SG going forward?  Or is this something you are looking to get in the future?

I do like that you have both a young team, but a young team that has some playoff experience (Finals) in certain places. 

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2008, 03:43:36 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
Good looking Knicks team though I would've had Buckner active for his defense and Humphries inactive. Buckner is decent defensively and Humphries isn't needed with the backups they have at the 4 and 5 and even Lewis can slide up in a pinch. Beyond that I like this team though it is decidedly perimeter based. They bring nothing but shooters off the bench. In the cruch if this teams needs a go-to guy to make a play and get to the line who does it?

From talking to the Knicks, I gathered that it will be Buckner and Banks swapping in and out for the most part depending on the needs for a speedy PG defender or SG/SF defender.  Plus, Lopez has to prove himself (which the Knicks believe he will)

Lewis to PF is one of the flexable moves the Knicks can make.  With the size of the PGs (Miller and Berry), small SGs like House can defend PGs while playing SG on offense.

The Knicks are also taking the chance the Banks can play like he did the last time he played with KG (12, 4.7, 1.2 steals, and .479)

Right they do bring defense off the bench too. I acknowledge and didn't mean to overlook that. I was more referring to that there weren't really any playmakers or creators coming off the bench unless you do in fact believe Banks can get back to where he was. Even then he was more inclined to create for himself more than others. I like this team in terms of construction, fit, shooting, defense, every other way. But KG has proven is more than happy to defer to others and has never been the type of PF that looks for contact to get to the line often. This team is gonna go as far as Miller can take them on offense. That's a lot of pressure to put on a guy that is not a top 5 pg in this league.

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2008, 03:44:16 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
NJ - Are you worried about the lack of speed and athleticism at the G spots?    (Magette and Pierce are both natural SF that can play SG, but neither would be consider fast at SG)  

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2008, 03:45:49 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Right they do bring defense off the bench too. I acknowledge and didn't mean to overlook that. I was more referring to that there weren't really any playmakers or creators coming off the bench unless you do in fact believe Banks can get back to where he was. Even then he was more inclined to create for himself more than others. I like this team in terms of construction, fit, shooting, defense, every other way. But KG has proven is more than happy to defer to others and has never been the type of PF that looks for contact to get to the line often. This team is gonna go as far as Miller can take them on offense. That's a lot of pressure to put on a guy that is not a top 5 pg in this league.

KG doesn't defer as much as he makes the smart basketball pass.   This team is built to take advantage of that.