Poll

Who would win the "fake" Southwest Division in 2008-09?

Dallas (Nelson, Dunleavy, Garcia, Boozer, Gasol, etc.)
5 (20.8%)
Houston (Bogut, Odom, G. Wallace, Martin, Parker, etc.)
12 (50%)
Memphis (Bynum, Lee, Fernandez, Foye, Arenas)
2 (8.3%)
New Orleans (Gadzuric, Maxiell, Howard, Prince, Jack, etc.)
1 (4.2%)
San Antonio (Paul, Stackhouse, Peja, AK47, B. Wallace, etc.)
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Southwest Division  (Read 44963 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Southwest Division
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2008, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Nice to hear from you, Edgar.  I take it you're scouting the next great draft pick?

I'm sure we're all fine with you presenting on Sunday or Monday, since the next Division doesn't present until Tuesday.  We'll be very curious to see where Mark Blount fits into your plans.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Nice to hear from you, Edgar.  I take it you're scouting the next great draft pick?

I'm sure we're all fine with you presenting on Sunday or Monday, since the next Division doesn't present until Tuesday.  We'll be very curious to see where Mark Blount fits into your plans.

Blount is in intense Temascal Sauna Therapy
old Mayas use to say that takes bad spirits ( and sometimes stupidity ) out of your body
He will be the next Hakeem.

;D
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Wallace(10) > Gay (9) - The numbers are almost identical offensively with Wallace a superior defensive player at this point in his career.

I'm going to save most of my comparisons between our rosters for a later post, but I definitely agree with this.  Gay averaged more points, more rebounds, shoot a higher percentage, hit more threes (at a higher percentage), and had fewer turnovers, all in less minutes than Wallace.  Gay is also younger (meaning he is likely to progress further), and has been much, much healthier.

Even beyond numbers, he is simply a much more dynamic player than Wallace.  Rudy can create his own shot, while Wallace struggles in that area.  If the offense isn't being run specifically for Wallace, he can look lost a lot of the time.

Gay is a underrated defender, mostly because Memphis is such a mess.  Wallace may have a slight edge there (although I think he's a bit overrated there, due to fantasy stats), but I think overall, Gay is better.

I also think you underrate T.J. Ford a bit, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Wallace(10) > Gay (9) - The numbers are almost identical offensively with Wallace a superior defensive player at this point in his career.

I'm going to save most of my comparisons between our rosters for a later post, but I definitely agree with this.  Gay averaged more points, more rebounds, shoot a higher percentage, hit more threes (at a higher percentage), and had fewer turnovers, all in less minutes than Wallace.  ""Gay is also younger (meaning he is likely to progress further), and has been much, much healthier.

Even beyond numbers, he is simply a much more dynamic player than Wallace.  Rudy can create his own shot, while Wallace struggles in that area.  If the offense isn't being run specifically for Wallace, he can look lost a lot of the time.

Gay is a underrated defender, mostly because Memphis is such a mess.  Wallace may have a slight edge there (although I think he's a bit overrated there, due to fantasy stats), but I think overall, Gay is better.

I also think you underrate T.J. Ford a bit, but I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Yes, Gay has a slight edge on the offense edge but I think Wallace's "Activity" on the defensive end can't be measured in #'s. The guy doesn't stop, To me hes the type of player that creates a winning culture...

Thanks for taking the time for the questions guys...

I've been inactive these last couple of weeks because of homework and work but I'll try to get on to throw a few questions out there before the end of the week.

Thanks again.

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 11:58:29 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
"I don't want to hijack the press conf. --- and i like how the team has been put together -- but Odom is like Antoine Walker (at his best) he can handle the ball well for a PF, so conceivably he can move to the 3.... but there is NO WAY he can play the 1 or 2 (just b/c someone has some of the skills of position X doesnt' mean he can play there)."

Odom was drafted to play the 1 on the Clippers his Rookie season. Walker does not have the ball handling skills, speed or quickness of Odom.

Modelling your team after the draft habits of the mid-90s Clippers is a very bad idea ;). Odom is a 3/4, who could maybe give bigger 2s problems on the defensive end.  He is not now nor ever will be a PG.

"you've got 5 guys in the starting lineup who are used to being top 2-3 options on offense, who's offense takes a back seat?"

I think Coach K will emphasize "team basketball" as he did with the Gold Medal winning USA team that consisted of a number of "Aces"

Before anyone else cites the "Redeem Team", I'd like to point out that there is a BIG difference between keeping a bunch of "Aces" happy for 6-8 games while on an all expenses paid trip to China and keeping a bunch of "veteran all-stars" happy over the course of an 82-game season.

"While i like the depth up front -- any concerns about matching up against a team like the Blazers (amare/horford/haslem)?"

Concerns? Of Course that is a great front-line. Coach K has some depth at the 4 and the 5 and should be able to rotate Shaq into the mix to contain  Amare who is not a great defender.

good point about shaq, but aren't you a bit concerned about his lack of effect on the Suns (a team that arguably had near the talent level of the fake Rockets and had been together a long time?)

Others have touched on it but I also think the key element to the 2004 Pistons winning the title was the addition of Rasheed Wallace (for which Ainge was roundly criticized).  Thats not to say that the Pistons shouldn't be used as a model/template -- since they've been successful since as y'all point out... but they had a very good, hungry team to which they added a dynamic 2-time all-star.

All that said, the Rockets have a very good team. It will be interesting to see them vs. the other teams in the playoffs.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 12:17:36 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Houston VS. Portland

Scoring Type: Boxing rounds:

Bogut (10) > Horford (9) - The numbers are pretty close with Bogut having an edge in every statistical category last season. Bogut has a track record of progress and improved every year in this league. Horford is an undersized C and will eventually log the majority of his minutes at the 4 spot.

Odom (8 ) < Amare (10) - Amare is a monster, nothing more to add here.

Kevin Martin (9) < Iguodala (10) - Martin is a better shooter and offensive player, while A.I individual defense and passing skills earn him a slight nod.

Tony Parker (10) - TJ Ford (8 )- Parker is one of the best scoring PG's in the league and annually posts one of the highest FG% in the NBA. Ford is a good play maker who will be on his third team in 5 years.

Bench (10) > (9 ) - Shaq puts Houston just over the edge.

Final Score:

Rockets (57) > Blazers (55)

* I did this before but tweaked it a little

First of TP for Jsaad and KW10 for being such responsive GMs during the presser :)

That said i think some of these scorings are off a bit.

Bogut (10) > Horford (9) -

I see Horford and Bogut as equal --- but different.  Horford is more physical and I think works harder and has been more succesful in the team concept;  Bogut is a better passer + scorer and slightly better shotblocker.  They both are still developing their games.  Bogut is a horrible FT shooter (just ask my Fantasy team last year  ;))

Odom (8 ) < Amare (10) -

I actually think Amare has a much bigger advantage here.  Odom couldn't do much against KG, so i believe he'd be destroyed by Amare. Maybe you put Bogut on Amare, but i think Amare would really get in Odom' head/face on D.  I liked Odom but he really shrank in the Finals... and that's a major concern for me.

Wallace(10) > Gay (9)

I think they're probably equal. Wallace's health and Gay's relative inexperience probably level out.

Kevin Martin (9) < Iguodala (10)

Again i'd put it 10 - 8 Iggy, Martin is simply not as strong defensively... i see him as a younger, Rip Hamilton, without the Rat-weasel-ness :)

Tony Parker (10) - TJ Ford (8 )

I think you're right here, Ford is maybe in Parker's class (toward the end of that class), but Parker's experience is so much higher than TJs. Again Ford's health has to factor too...

Bench (10) > (9 )

To tell you the truth, i might put this at 10-8 Rockets... i like Murphy, Shaq, and Finley and Ridnour... next year it might be even w/ Shaq and Finley falling totally off.

Just about dead even  still.... Good job.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 12:36:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Houston Rockets

FRONT OFFICE:
GM: Jsaad
Assistant GM: kw10
Executive: Jerry Colangelo
Coach: Mike Krzyzewski aka Coach K, Mike D’Antoni, Nate McMillan, Jim Boeheim

TEAM:
C - Andrew Bogut/Shaquille O’Neal/Robert Swift
PF - Lamar Odom/Troy Murphy/Melvin Ely
SF - Gerald Wallace/Tim Thomas/Yakhouba Diawara
SG - Kevin Martin/Michael Finley/Roger Mason Jr
PG - Tony Parker/Luke Ridnour/Damon Stoudamire

I like the team a lot, and not because I had a lot of your guys on my draft boards/wish list. Not crazy about Odom as your PF, but that probably has more to do with me than it does with Odom (right or wrong, I've always thought of him as a space cadet/mentally weak and a guy who too easily coasts on his abilities). Regardless, you've got great frontcourt depth to mix-and-match personnel.

My only beef: Nate McMillan is head coach of the Hawks (announced the first day of our exercise). I hope I don't need to file a tampering charge with the league office.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 12:43:36 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"Modelling your team after the draft habits of the mid-90s Clippers is a very bad idea ;). Odom is a 3/4, who could maybe give bigger 2s problems on the defensive end.  He is not now nor ever will be a PG."

Wait a second Gaines, I think it's only fair that you respond to my initial rebuttal to your post about Odom where I provided 3 sources highlighting Odom's ability to play 4 positions. This above is your opinion ;)

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"Before anyone else cites the "Redeem Team", I'd like to point out that there is a BIG difference between keeping a bunch of "Aces" happy for 6-8 games while on an all expenses paid trip to China and keeping a bunch of "veteran all-stars" happy over the course of an 82-game season."

Fair point, although recent history would suggest that Veteran All-stars are willing to sacrifice for the team if given the proper galvanization from a head coach.

It all depends on attitude and coaching I think this team meets that criteria.

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 12:51:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"Bogut (10) > Horford (9) -

I see Horford and Bogut as equal --- but different.  Horford is more physical and I think works harder and has been more succesful in the team concept;  Bogut is a better passer + scorer and slightly better shotblocker.  They both are still developing their games.  Bogut is a horrible FT shooter (just ask my Fantasy team last year  Wink)"

Stats don't lie, although I do believe Horford has a higher ceiling...

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 12:53:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I see Horford and Bogut as equal --- but different.  Horford is more physical and I think works harder and has been more succesful in the team concept;  Bogut is a better passer + scorer and slightly better shotblocker.  They both are still developing their games.  Bogut is a horrible FT shooter (just ask my Fantasy team last year  Wink)"

Haha.  I'm not sure that you can make that argument, and then say Wallace is better than Gay. ;)

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"I actually think Amare has a much bigger advantage here.  Odom couldn't do much against KG, so i believe he'd be destroyed by Amare. Maybe you put Bogut on Amare, but i think Amare would really get in Odom' head/face on D.  I liked Odom but he really shrank in the Finals... and that's a major concern for me."

I 100% disagree, Odom More than held is own throughout the Western conference playoffs against the likes of David West, Boozer and Kenyon Martin...

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Apparently, the other Southwest Division GMs have conceded the Division to Jsaad, and won't be fielding teams this year. ;)

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 01:01:35 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Haha.  I'm not sure that you can make that argument, and then say Wallace is better than Gay. ;)

Sure I can, Gay and Wallace are very close in statistics, Wallace is a better defender. Bogut is Better in every Category last season and has made progress every year.

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2008, 01:02:07 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
"I actually think Amare has a much bigger advantage here.  Odom couldn't do much against KG, so i believe he'd be destroyed by Amare. Maybe you put Bogut on Amare, but i think Amare would really get in Odom' head/face on D.  I liked Odom but he really shrank in the Finals... and that's a major concern for me."

I 100% disagree, Odom More than held is own throughout the Western conference playoffs against the likes of David West, Boozer and Kenyon Martin...

LA did well against Amare this year.  So, you have to think that Odom did a good job.

Amare shot 75% against Bogut this year.