Poll

Who would win the "fake" Southwest Division in 2008-09?

Dallas (Nelson, Dunleavy, Garcia, Boozer, Gasol, etc.)
5 (20.8%)
Houston (Bogut, Odom, G. Wallace, Martin, Parker, etc.)
12 (50%)
Memphis (Bynum, Lee, Fernandez, Foye, Arenas)
2 (8.3%)
New Orleans (Gadzuric, Maxiell, Howard, Prince, Jack, etc.)
1 (4.2%)
San Antonio (Paul, Stackhouse, Peja, AK47, B. Wallace, etc.)
4 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Southwest Division  (Read 44947 times)

Re: Celticsblog Mock GM Press Conferences: Southwest Division
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 10:27:58 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
"I don't want to hijack the press conf. --- and i like how the team has been put together -- but Odom is like Antoine Walker (at his best) he can handle the ball well for a PF, so conceivably he can move to the 3.... but there is NO WAY he can play the 1 or 2 (just b/c someone has some of the skills of position X doesnt' mean he can play there)."

Odom was drafted to play the 1 on the Clippers his Rookie season. Walker does not have the ball handling skills, speed or quickness of Odom.

"you've got 5 guys in the starting lineup who are used to being top 2-3 options on offense, who's offense takes a back seat?"

I think Coach K will emphasize "team basketball" as he did with the Gold Medal winning USA team that consisted of a number of "Aces"

"Who "takes the last shot"?  or maybe the question should be in a close game 7, who do you go to over the last 3 mins?"

Whoever is open.

Kevin Martin was that guy in the Playoffs of 2006 for kings. and that team consisted of other options (Artest, Bibby, Miller)

Parker has hit countless pressure cooker shots on his way to 3 championships.

"While i like the depth up front -- any concerns about matching up against a team like the Blazers (amare/horford/haslem)?"

Concerns? Of Course that is a great front-line. Coach K has some depth at the 4 and the 5 and should be able to rotate Shaq into the mix to contain  Amare who is not a great defender.

"4. how far can you go in the playoffs?"

I Think the depth, experience and Leadership on this club we win a championship within a 3-4 Year Window. We will be in the Mix for 5 - 7 years.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 10:32:52 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Jsaad

You have a nice athletic team with some pretty flexible parts.  How do you think Shaq will like coming off the bench?  What are you hoping for out of the big guy?

Any concerns that you may have to many chefs in the kitchen with your management/coaching team?

Shaq doesn't get as many Miles per gallon as he once did and even he knows that. The idea would be to keep the tank as close to full as possible heading into the playoffs.

We would look for him to be a positive influence and vocal leader of the team. This is a role Shaq has embraced since day 1.

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 10:33:23 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Couple of things.

1) You compared the team to the Spurs and Pistons.  I don't see a Tim Duncan on the team.  I don't see anyone with the talent levels of R. Wallace and B. Wallace(when they won the title).  That created two distinct strong front courts to build off.  (Duncan's overall greatness and the two Wallaces' strong defense)  What is your front court strength you are building off to try an win a title?  

2) You are putting the ball in Parkers hands at the end of the game, but how effective will he be attacking the basket without Duncan drawing the interior defense?  

3) How do you protect Wallace?  He could be one more concussion away from being done.  You mentioned playing him at PF.  

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 10:35:03 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
Jsaad

You have a nice athletic team with some pretty flexible parts.  How do you think Shaq will like coming off the bench?  What are you hoping for out of the big guy?

Any concerns that you may have to many chefs in the kitchen with your management/coaching team?

Shaq is one of the great lockerroom guys not only in the sense he mix well with his teammates, but he is also willing to do whatever he needs for the team to win, whether that be starting, being the 6th man or shooting a free throw (he himself says he'll knock them down when it counts, and he's been right so far IMO-although I'm not saying we are going to put the ball in his hands for opponents to foul him).

I don't think we have a problem with too many chefs, note they are the exact staff from the Redeem Team, which they have been successful. And again they are willing to do whatever it takes to win. Whether that be from running the overall team, or just the defensive end or player development.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Jsaad, I'll pose a similar question to you to the one I posed to the Blazers. Are you concerned with the lack of a "superstar" in your team? I think this applies even more to you than to does to the Blazers.

Also, I agree with GC, there's no way Odom can play the guard positions.

Not at all, while having a Lebron James can sometimes put you over the top, we think having a well balanced team is better than just a team of one or two superstars, although we welcome any opportunities of getting one without losing the balance of the team. As mentioned, we are aiming to play a team game, much like the Pistons when they won in 2004, they did not have a superstar, and they have continually been very successful since winning. Although you might argue Detroit has only won 1 banner with this team, I think they have met very formidable foes in their recent disappointments and slightly unlucky not to win a series or two more, and the loss of their emotional leader Ben Wallace did not help.

And if I could add to that... Detriot is in the "Thick of things" year in and year out, that is the goal of this club. This club will be in contention for the next 5 - 7 years in the Western conference Finals.

Also, I'm very confident we win this division this year and for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 10:49:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Hmm...  everyone else has already asked most of my questions.

Let me say, first, excellent team.  I think you're co-#1 in the West (I like my team a bit better, but yours is certainly on the same level.)

So, my questions:

1) On the "lack of a superstar" issue:  of the very few teams that have won with a "composite" / "deep" approach, they tended to win with very good team defense and all-around hustle.  Do you have that?  Realistically, Gerald Wallace is the only above-average defender on your squad (with Shaq maybe fitting that mold).  The other guys aren't necessarily terrible (some are, some are just average), but can you play the lock-down defense that the Pistons did?

2) "Spacing the floor":  my team gets criticized for this, which I think is silly.  Still, your team seems to be in the same boat, except worse.  Odom, Wallace, and Parker are all pretty poor outside shooters, and Bogut doesn't have a ton of range.  Only Martin is a good three point shooter in your starting lineup.  Does this concern you?

3) Any regrets about the Troy Murphy trade, or at least the series of draft picks leading up to it?  You seemed to give up a lot of value to make that trade.  Would you have been better off targeting the need for a power forward earlier in the draft, and held onto your later picks?  In a similar vein, do you have any worries that your team lacks a physical power forward?

4)  How do you match up with the Blazers?  What matchups can you exploit against them?  What are your weaknesses in a series with them?

I'm not going to sit here and downplay your team; I like it.  My thought is, I'll be meeting you in the Western Conference Finals this year, and probably next year, too.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 10:51:50 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Couple of things.

1) You compared the team to the Spurs and Pistons.  I don't see a Tim Duncan on the team.  I don't see anyone with the talent levels of R. Wallace and B. Wallace(when they won the title).  That created two distinct strong front courts to build off.  (Duncan's overall greatness and the two Wallaces' strong defense)  What is your front court strength you are building off to try an win a title?  

2) You are putting the ball in Parkers hands at the end of the game, but how effective will he be attacking the basket without Duncan drawing the interior defense?  

3) How do you protect Wallace?  He could be one more concussion away from being done.  You mentioned playing him at PF.  

1. While we are comparing to the Spurs and Pistons, I think the comparison is drawn for to the fact that they both play a great team concept game where you don't need Duncan or Wallace to score 30 points per game. They are also great defensive teams and fairly versatile.  Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan has combined to win the 7 of the past 8 titles or so before the Celtics. So I think O'Neal has similar greatness, although on the decline, but the depth with Bogut and others can make up for that. While lacking a great defender, defence is just as much about the team as individuals, and with that, I think we'll be very good defensively as a team.

2. I don't think it's THAT big a problem, if the defender comes from near the basket, I'm sure that would mean a layup for whoever's on the court. If it's not right at the basket, Bogut and Odom can both knock the midrange down very well for the big guys. Again, we put it in Parker's hands, but ultimately it's whoever gets the best available shot takes it, with good solid shooters around the court, it doesn't matter where the help defence comes from.

3. That's easy-a head gear ;D

I think Gerald will be able to take care of himself, he knows what he shouldn't be doing to jeopardise his career, so he'll be playing 'on the ground' much more than flying all over the place.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"1) You compared the team to the Spurs and Pistons.  I don't see a Tim Duncan on the team.  I don't see anyone with the talent levels of R. Wallace and B. Wallace(when they won the title).  That created two distinct strong front courts to build off.  (Duncan's overall greatness and the two Wallaces' strong defense)  What is your front court strength you are building off to try an win a title?"

Bogut has improved every year since he has entered the league and he's still 23. A rotation of him and Shaq at the five, or if the situation dictates starting Shaq at the 5 and Bogut at the 4 will be very effective. It depends on the Matchup...

Shaq and parker running a high pick and role with Troy Murphy and Roger Mason JR called upon to open it up with both players Shot 40% from 3-point land last season. This help spread the Floor for Parker, Odom and/or Martin. (depending who's on the floor)

3) How do you protect Wallace?  He could be one more concussion away from being done.  You mentioned playing him at PF.

Is this question Rhetorical? Give him a helmet?  ;D

Injuries are a part of the game. If Wallace sustains another injury we will pray for him and use our depth of Tim thomas, Troy Murphy, Michael Finley and The versatility of Odom to fill that hole.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Couple of things.

1. While we are comparing to the Spurs and Pistons, I think the comparison is drawn for to the fact that they both play a great team concept game where you don't need Duncan or Wallace to score 30 points per game. They are also great defensive teams and fairly versatile.  Shaquille O'Neal and Tim Duncan has combined to win the 7 of the past 8 titles or so before the Celtics. So I think O'Neal has similar greatness, although on the decline, but the depth with Bogut and others can make up for that.

2. I don't think it's THAT big a problem, if the defender comes from near the basket, I'm sure that would mean a layup for whoever's on the court. If it's not right at the basket, Bogut and Odom can both knock the midrange down very well for the big guys. Again, we put it in Parker's hands, but ultimately it's whoever gets the best available shot takes it, with good solid shooters around the court, it doesn't matter where the help defence comes from.

3. That's easy  ;D
   I think Gerald will be able to take care of himself, he knows what he shouldn't be doing to jeopardise his career, so he'll be playing 'on the ground' much more than flying all over the place.

1) If it was Shaq from a few years ago, I would agree.  He is also going to get packed in.  Who can pull defenders back out besides Martin?

2) Parker is facing the same problem.  There likely be 4 defenders in the pain with one guy staying outside on Martin.  Is there someone else on the bench you would put in over Odom or Wallace in crunch time? 

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 10:56:03 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Personally, I don't know if Shaq would be willing to come off the bench next year.  But in fantasy world here, I think Shaq coming off the bench is the best thing for him.  One of the things that has hampered Shaq the most in recent years is how quickly he gets in foul trouble, then Shaq can't play his game, which has hurt his teams because his teams have needed him to win.  With Shaq not being the starting center I think he will flourish and be more productive in a lesser role.  He would be free to play his game because his team wouldn't be dependent on him, who cares if the backup center fouls out.  If Shaq fouls out in 15 minutes, big deal, you still have Bogut, your starting center, available to play 33 minutes.  Just picture Shaq going all out while not being worried about fouling out, when's the last time we've seen this?  In theory this works out great.   

Questions.
How  many minutes do you plan to play Shaq, how many minutes for Bogut? Do you think they will both be happy with these minutes?

Shaq has had problems with his weight and conditioning in the past, are you concerned that with him coming off the bench he will be even less motivated to stay in shape.  Shaq isn't even good at staying in shape when he's starting.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:01:39 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 11:05:05 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
Okay, I'll say a couple of general things that might answer/touch your questions.

Firstly, I think some of you might be looking into the starting lineup too much, yes sure they are starting, but with our coaching staff, we'll be sure to judge what we need to bring shooters like Finley, Thomas etc off the bench or keep our starters.

That leads to the second thing I'm going to say, while there might be a structure or 'outset' of how many minutes etc people play, it all depends on the matchup with the opponent.

As for our defence, I think Bogut and Parker are very underrated in that department, while Kevin Martin is very quick laterally as well. And again, the focus of the team will be on defence, it's as much about the team as it is about individuals.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:30 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • KG is da Man
There seems to be a problem with the video conferencing down under ;)
So I think I will have to go off and I tag Jsaad back in to answer all your questions.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 11:17:57 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
"1) On the "lack of a superstar" issue:  of the very few teams that have won with a "composite" / "deep" approach, they tended to win with very good team defense and all-around hustle.  Do you have that?  Realistically, Gerald Wallace is the only above-average defender on your squad (with Shaq maybe fitting that mold).  The other guys aren't necessarily terrible (some are, some are just average), but can you play the lock-down defense that the Pistons did?"

First Off, I'm not yet convinced Kevin Martin can't be an "ace". The Kings defaulted to him in "06" playoffs and he delivered...

That being said this team has the athleticism to be a good defensive team. It really comes down to the system and situational coaching.

"2) Spacing the floor":  my team gets criticized for this, which I think is silly.  Still, your team seems to be in the same boat, except worse.  Odom, Wallace, and Parker are all pretty poor outside shooters, and Bogut doesn't have a ton of range.  Only Martin is a good three point shooter in your starting lineup.  Does this concern you?"

If spacing becomes an issue Both Roger Mason and Troy Murphy are an option off the bench to stretch the defense. (both shot 40% from the 3-point line)

"Any regrets about the Troy Murphy trade, or at least the series of draft picks leading up to it?  You seemed to give up a lot of value to make that trade.  Would you have been better off targeting the need for a power forward earlier in the draft, and held onto your later picks?  In a similar vein, do you have any worries that your team lacks a physical power forward?"

I don't have any regrets but there were some minor mistakes that lead to overpaying for a PF but I do that that trade over in a heart beat. especially knowing Tim Thomas was available.

Marvin Ely is physical coming off the bench...

4)  How do you match up with the Blazers?  What matchups can you exploit against them?  What are your weaknesses in a series with them?

Give me a moment to answer that one...

I'm not going to sit here and downplay your team; I like it.  My thought is, I'll be meeting you in the Western Conference Finals this year, and probably next year, too.

The Rockets organization has a lot of respect for the Blazers and are sensing a rivalry to come out of the next couple of years. 

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 11:20:42 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Hi everybody

GM of the Dallas Mavericks is right now here..

In an introspective journey to find the team identity for the upcoming season

Works for star wars fans too isnt it?

So I ask for permission to present on Sunday or Monday

Thanks And Saludos
I will say Hi to the great Jaguar from all of u....

Edgar
Dallas Mavs GM.

P.S. My hotel is in the jungle and i dont have internent access so I can other day anyway. ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 11:25:35 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Houston VS. Portland

Scoring Type: Boxing rounds:

Bogut (10) > Horford (9) - The numbers are pretty close with Bogut having an edge in every statistical category last season. Bogut has a track record of progress and improved every year in this league. Horford is an undersized C and will eventually log the majority of his minutes at the 4 spot.

Odom (8 ) < Amare (10) - Amare is a monster, nothing more to add here.

Wallace(10) > Gay (9) - The numbers are almost identical offensively with Wallace a superior defensive player at this point in his career.

Kevin Martin (9) < Iguodala (10) - Martin is a better shooter and offensive player, while A.I individual defense and passing skills earn him a slight nod.

Tony Parker (10) - TJ Ford (8 )- Parker is one of the best scoring PG's in the league and annually posts one of the highest FG% in the NBA. Ford is a good play maker who will be on his third team in 5 years.

Bench (10) > (9 ) - Shaq puts Houston just over the edge.

Final Score:

Rockets (57) > Blazers (55)

* I did this before but tweaked it a little