Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 481671 times)

BitterJim, smicker16, moiso, sahara and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: NBA Season 2023-24
« Reply #5415 on: April 20, 2024, 05:03:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2414
I see some saying the play-ins were for nothing. In both cases the 7th and 8th seeds went through while the 9th and 10th seeds got eliminated.

Only their teams had to play 2 extra games and more tired heading into the postseason.

Oh and Jimmy Butler and Zion Williamson both got injured. Two franchise players out and are now much weaker leading to worse playoff series.

Congrats to the play-in!

« Reply #5416 on: April 20, 2024, 05:14:41 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Kings fan says draft Bronny and go after LeBron.

G: D Fox, Davion Mitchell
G: K Ellis, M Monk, Bronny
F: K Murray, K Huerter
F: LeBron, H Barnes
C: D Sabonis, A Len

Hmm ... looking at their salary cap. They'd have to move a few salaries. Harrison Barnes, Huerter, T Lyles. They could do it. They could free up enough cash to make LeBron a good offer. Maybe not a max but a good offer. Oh, they'd have to let Monk go as well. Ah, good opportunity for Bronny!

A Big Three of LeBron, Fox, Sabonis with Keegan Murray as a fourth wheel would be a strong core. Get the Kings into title contention.

« Reply #5417 on: April 20, 2024, 06:58:05 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2535

Hmm ... looking at their salary cap. They'd have to move a few salaries. Harrison Barnes, Huerter, T Lyles. They could do it. They could free up enough cash to make LeBron a good offer. Maybe not a max but a good offer. Oh, they'd have to let Monk go as well. Ah, good opportunity for Bronny!

A Big Three of LeBron, Fox, Sabonis with Keegan Murray as a fourth wheel would be a strong core. Get the Kings into title contention.

So Lebron expects a team will expend a draft pick on Bronny and then revamp (and worsen) their team in order to sign LBJ who’ll turn 40 in-season? Not to mention the ensuing side show that will be the father-son spectacle - who at some point will actually have to play on the court together. This one year (maybe two) with Lebron possibly curtails the future of a promising team like the Kings. It’s a substantial risk - but maybe worth it for the increased revenue intake, presuming that would occur. 

I assume there’s a rule prohibiting a star from signing a minimum or exception contract to ring chase… or play with their son. ??

« Reply #5418 on: April 20, 2024, 08:24:08 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

So Lebron expects a team will expend a draft pick on Bronny and then revamp (and worsen) their team in order to sign LBJ who’ll turn 40 in-season? Not to mention the ensuing side show that will be the father-son spectacle - who at some point will actually have to play on the court together. This one year (maybe two) with Lebron possibly curtails the future of a promising team like the Kings. It’s a substantial risk - but maybe worth it for the increased revenue intake, presuming that would occur. 

I assume there’s a rule prohibiting a star from signing a minimum or exception contract to ring chase… or play with their son. ??

Nothing prevents him from signing for less/the minimum. The only restriction would be if he signed for less salary and then was paid under the table (or by a 3rd party) to circumvent the salary cap
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5419 on: April 20, 2024, 08:30:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

This is the main issue. Many folks do not consider them a team with a promising future. They consider them on track to be a treadmill team.

They have two good stars but not top end stars in Sabonis and Fox. The belief is that they alone are not good enough to carry the Kings and I believe that is correct so the question becomes how do they get a 3rd star.

The two main avenues are: (1) trade Keegan Murray for an established star (2) clear cap space and sign a major free agent.

I like the LeBron option for Sacramento because it would allow them to keep Keegan Murray. The players they would be moving are not that important except for H Barnes. The others are all replaceable. And LeBron is a major upgrade over H Barnes. Worth it.

The Kings other dream target is Paul George. He is also the dream target of 76ers fans. And the Clippers want to keep him. Both the Clips and 76ers are better options than the Kings. Although I would probably take PG13 over LeBron give his younger age. Plus, PG13 would probably fit in better as he doesn't need the ball as much as LeBron.

I have also seen Sacramento linked to Zach LaVine. He is a flawed enough star on a bad contract that they could get him without giving up Keegan Murray. They would still be trading all those role players to make up the money in a trade. They went after LaVine in the past. I am not convinced he is moving the needle much for them though. Not really what they need.

I like the LeBron option for Sacramento ... if it was on the table.

« Reply #5420 on: April 20, 2024, 08:45:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1553

This is the main issue. Many folks do not consider them a team with a promising future. They consider them on track to be a treadmill team.

They have two good stars but not top end stars in Sabonis and Fox. The belief is that they alone are not good enough to carry the Kings and I believe that is correct so the question becomes how do they get a 3rd star.

The two main avenues are: (1) trade Keegan Murray for an established star (2) clear cap space and sign a major free agent.

I like the LeBron option for Sacramento because it would allow them to keep Keegan Murray. The players they would be moving are not that important except for H Barnes. The others are all replaceable. And LeBron is a major upgrade over H Barnes. Worth it.

The Kings other dream target is Paul George. He is also the dream target of 76ers fans. And the Clippers want to keep him. Both the Clips and 76ers are better options than the Kings. Although I would probably take PG13 over LeBron give his younger age. Plus, PG13 would probably fit in better as he doesn't need the ball as much as LeBron.

I have also seen Sacramento linked to Zach LaVine. He is a flawed enough star on a bad contract that they could get him without giving up Keegan Murray. They would still be trading all those role players to make up the money in a trade. They went after LaVine in the past. I am not convinced he is moving the needle much for them though. Not really what they need.

Here's the thing, even if the Kings don't end up with Sr., Jr. alone will give them some media heat and that stuff matters to a team like Sacto.  They can use all the interest they can get.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5421 on: April 20, 2024, 09:27:47 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Cade Cunningham

With Cade = 9 wins 53 losses
Without Cade = 5 wins 15 losses

« Reply #5422 on: April 20, 2024, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 623

Nothing prevents him from signing for less/the minimum. The only restriction would be if he signed for less salary and then was paid under the table (or by a 3rd party) to circumvent the salary cap

The players association would have major beef with Lebron signing for less than his market value.

« Reply #5423 on: April 20, 2024, 10:33:26 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 555

The players association would have major beef with Lebron signing for less than his market value.
So what?  Why should Lebron care?  What can the PA do except gripe, and do they really want to get in a confrontation with Lebron? 

Lebron taking the vet minimum would be ridiculous and I certainly don't see him doing that.  But what if he signs on to the team who drafts Bronny for 25M or 30M. 
That's a big discount from his market value but still very good money.  PA would look stupid if they publicly complained about that. 

« Reply #5424 on: April 20, 2024, 10:42:39 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I see some saying the play-ins were for nothing. In both cases the 7th and 8th seeds went through while the 9th and 10th seeds got eliminated.

Only their teams had to play 2 extra games and more tired heading into the postseason.

Oh and Jimmy Butler and Zion Williamson both got injured. Two franchise players out and are now much weaker leading to worse playoff series.

Congrats to the play-in!

I mean I guess Lakers moved up a spot? But yeah I do think they should revamp the playin a bit. I really like Mo's suggestion of limiting how many games back a team can be behind another one in order to be eligible. It also isn't like it is something the NBA can't do, they did to decide who would get invited to the bubble. The play-in did severely hurt both Miami and the Pelicans chances of having good first round series/winning one. While some will say "just win more games" the argument becomes even more dubious when all the teams are as clumped up together as this they were this year. I agree the one benefit is that it did keep a few teams playing harder that would probably would have given up (Houston being an obvious example this year). I don't anticipate it going away, but would be cool if the players pushed back on this especially after the injuries this year.

« Reply #5425 on: April 20, 2024, 10:47:28 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

There is a chance Murray becomes that third star though also right? I would have liked to see him shoot a bit better this year, but he still averaged 15, 5 and 2 on not awful shooting splits as a 23 year old. Do people think there is zero chance he improves his shooting a little bit and becomes a third star?

« Reply #5426 on: April 20, 2024, 10:47:36 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

If Lebron doesn't stay with the Lakers, the Clips and Sixers are my top choices for his next team.  If George leaves, the Clips become even more likely choice.  I'd certainly think Lebron would choose the Clips over the Kings. 

« Reply #5427 on: April 20, 2024, 10:52:13 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

So what?  Why should Lebron care?  What can the PA do except gripe, and do they really want to get in a confrontation with Lebron? 

Lebron taking the vet minimum would be ridiculous and I certainly don't see him doing that.  But what if he signs on to the team who drafts Bronny for 25M or 30M. 
That's a big discount from his market value but still very good money.  PA would look stupid if they publicly complained about that.

He has a player option next year for 51 million, and he wants to own an NBA team when he retires so has always tried to make as much money as possible. Would be quite a change to give up 26 million in one year to play with his son. I feel like there is a small chance Lebron may try to go somewhere else if the Lakers get swept or lose in 5 to Denver, but I think it would have to be a team that has a better core than the Lakers and can pay him/accept his player option. There don't seem to be a ton of teams that fit this criteria although I guess Philly would.

« Reply #5428 on: April 20, 2024, 11:40:27 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

He has a player option next year for 51 million, and he wants to own an NBA team when he retires so has always tried to make as much money as possible. Would be quite a change to give up 26 million in one year to play with his son. I feel like there is a small chance Lebron may try to go somewhere else if the Lakers get swept or lose in 5 to Denver, but I think it would have to be a team that has a better core than the Lakers and can pay him/accept his player option. There don't seem to be a ton of teams that fit this criteria although I guess Philly would.
Lebron's net worth estimate is 1.18 billion.  26 million would make very little difference in buying a NBA team.  Besides he's already said publicly that he'd take less to play with Bronny.   If he does buy an NBA team it will almost certainly be as part of an ownership group.  Or else he could start off buying a minority ownership in a team.  The big question is what teams could be on the market.  I know there have been some recent issues with the TWolves ownership so maybe that is a possibility and they are one of the lowest valued at 1.67 billion. 

As for the Sixers, they've got a ton of cap space.  They could offer Lebron the 39M that they are paying Harris this season and give him a 2nd year player option.  That would leave them a good bit of cap space to pay some role players before they give Maxey his raise.  No denying that Lebron would be a big upgrade from Harris and would seem to be a pretty good fit with Embiid and Maxey. 

« Reply #5429 on: April 20, 2024, 11:53:56 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Lebron's net worth estimate is 1.18 billion.  26 million would make very little difference in buying a NBA team.  Besides he's already said publicly that he'd take less to play with Bronny.   If he does buy an NBA team it will almost certainly be as part of an ownership group.  Or else he could start off buying a minority ownership in a team.  The big question is what teams could be on the market.  I know there have been some recent issues with the TWolves ownership so maybe that is a possibility and they are one of the lowest valued at 1.67 billion. 

As for the Sixers, they've got a ton of cap space.  They could offer Lebron the 39M that they are paying Harris this season and give him a 2nd year player option.  That would leave them a good bit of cap space to pay some role players before they give Maxey his raise.  No denying that Lebron would be a big upgrade from Harris and would seem to be a pretty good fit with Embiid and Maxey.

Interesting thing about the Twolves valuation, they are definitely worth more than 1.67b. Some speculate that is the main reason Taylor took advantage of the option to back out of the deal based on the payments (and why it will probably end up court). They are worth at least 2.5 now and most people think they would go for closer to 3b. Simmons and Rusilo talk about this on the podcast, and say what you will about him, but Simmons has kind of nailed the franchise values over the last 10-15 years. The estimate from last fall was 2.5btw

https://www.forbes.com/teams/minnesota-timberwolves/?sh=5d33f4045075

Also it is probably not just the 26M Lebron loses leaving LA, but marketing and hollywood money too. While sponsorships are certainly national, I would have to imagine he would make less from it in Sacramento.