Author Topic: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 9/14/20  (Read 53578 times)

Re: Heat (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) ECF Game #1 9/14/20
« Reply #1185 on: September 15, 2020, 11:46:34 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
As far as the game, the Celtics yet again couldn't put an opponent away in a winnable game. But beyond that it was an entertaining game. The Celtics had the last shot in regulation, got a decent look and Tatum missed. In the OT Tatum made a power move, Adabayo made a better block.

Bottom line for the Celtics is that Kemba needs to play better. If he doesn't, the Celtics aren't winning this series.

This is an oxymoron. "Tatum" and "power" really don't go together, which is part of his problem. Dude's a string bean.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #1186 on: September 15, 2020, 11:47:14 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Is anyone concerned about how Stevens is freezing out Brown offensively? He almost never gets touches.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1187 on: September 15, 2020, 11:47:47 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I don't think Hayward is going to "save" the Celtics in this series. Every time he's missed a big chunk of time due to an injury, he's been super rusty when he comes back, and it takes him weeks to get back into a rhythm. This happened not just with his major ankle injury, but with his less-severe injuries as well. He might help Boston this series, but not enough to tip the scales, especially if Kemba continues to suck at shooting and Boston can't figure out how to attack traps and zones.

They actually did a pretty good job of attacking traps in the second half today.  Kemba would back up, force the trap to overcommit too far from the basket, and then get rid of the ball.  We took and hit multiple wide open threes on those plays. 

Unfortunately, those plays were about the only times we shared the ball with each other down the stretch.  Wonder if Jaylen had anything to say to his teammates, because we completely froze the dude out of the offense today. 

« Reply #1188 on: September 15, 2020, 11:50:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
What I can't get out of my mind is the Heat beat us to Tyler Herro in the draft. One pick later we got a guy who can't even get on the floor in this series. Riley has to be gloating about putting that one over on Danny.
Ya. Because they won the freaking coin flip for 12-14. 🤬

« Reply #1189 on: September 15, 2020, 11:50:42 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Is anyone concerned about how Stevens is freezing out Brown offensively? He almost never gets touches.
He's getting frozen out because Kemba and Tatum are constantly going iso. I think the Heat's defense has something to do with that, but it's also only Game 1.  Let's see how they adjust. While the Heat's defense is excellent, I don't think it's any better than Toronto's. The Celtics can and will take advantage of Robinson and Herro.

« Reply #1190 on: September 15, 2020, 11:57:57 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

I don't think Stevens goes out there to plan for Brown not to get the ball...the ball just doesn't find him. That's on the other players on the team, particularly the ball handlers and the ones calling the plays on the floor. The offense became very stagnant in the 4th quarter, Kemba and Tatum had the majority of touches and they were long touches.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1191 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:04 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Tatum went 0-7 in the last 7 min

That is brutal
Yes and it all started with that horrible 29 foot air ball. Ugh. He’ll learn from it though.

« Reply #1192 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:12 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
He's getting frozen out because Kemba and Tatum are constantly going iso. I think the Heat's defense has something to do with that, but it's also only Game 1.  Let's see how they adjust. While the Heat's defense is excellent, I don't think it's any better than Toronto's. The Celtics can and will take advantage of Robinson and Herro.

Honestly, I don't think the Heat defense is why Brown got frozen out.  Dude was open several times - including wide open under the basket twice, in possessions where Smart chose to jack up threes instead - but we just didn't look for him. 

Hopefully things that we'll see in film study. 

« Reply #1193 on: September 16, 2020, 12:08:45 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
What I can't get out of my mind is the Heat beat us to Tyler Herro in the draft. One pick later we got a guy who can't even get on the floor in this series. Riley has to be gloating about putting that one over on Danny.

It's okay because they didn't make the trade for Justice Winslow which could've cost them Brown and Tatum. Would you rather have Herro and Winslow or Tatum and Brown?

« Reply #1194 on: September 16, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Despite the loss, it was a quite enjoyable game to watch for the most part.  I still think Celts win in 6.  Seems to me the Heat played closer to their perfect game.  Celts have plenty of room for improvement in game 2.

That's what people always think about the Heat wins. They underestimate Miami yet they keep winning. They have the best record in these playoffs. Only 1 loss.

So what just give up?

« Reply #1195 on: September 16, 2020, 12:21:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Grant Williams was a very good scorer at the NCAA level.  I mean that Tennessee team was dependent on him to generate their offense

and now he is basically a spot up 3 point shooter.   I feel like Stevens has really limited his game so much....  his other skills will be forgotten

I wish Stevens had a little more trust with the youngsters

instead of set a pick, pass to Tatum or Kemba or Brown.    No matter what/don't think twice just pass to them

While Heat let guys like Herro, Nunn and other young players grow

Celtics offense is way too predictable.    Brad deserves blame in this aspect.  And its always either shoot the 3 or drive in to try to get the and 1st.  Sometimes the easy 2s/mid range shots are ok

Jordan and Kobe lived by the 2. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:29:20 AM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #1196 on: September 16, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
So after game 1..... Tatum is a scrub, Kemba is a scrub, Stevens is a bad coach and the Celtics will get swept. Totally not hot takes.  ;D

« Reply #1197 on: September 16, 2020, 12:24:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Honestly, I don't think the Heat defense is why Brown got frozen out.  Dude was open several times - including wide open under the basket twice, in possessions where Smart chose to jack up threes instead - but we just didn't look for him. 

Hopefully things that we'll see in film study.
This has been a recurring theme for years though, when are we actually going to run some offence through him? It's not like I'm calling for him to be our primary option, all I'm asking is to run some plays for him when Kemba/Tatum are ice cold.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #1198 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:02 AM »

Offline Greenality

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 46
As a Celtics fan I was actually proud of the way our guys competed. It's just sometimes you have to admit, that other team was better.
Obviously, there are things we can improve, but the mindset, overall level of execution was pretty high. Not so much in 4Q and OT, but hey, it all came down to episodes.
I'm sure C's will be the best version of themselves in the next game, we have no quitters. And as for Tatum... Maybe it's one of those moments, where Jayson can grow from.
Game #2 will be stupendous ;)

« Reply #1199 on: September 16, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
Double post
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D