Author Topic: Celtics (0-2) at Heat (2-0) ECF Game #3 9/19/20  (Read 59468 times)

Re: Celtics (0-2) at Heat (2-0) ECF Game #3 9/19/20
« Reply #1215 on: September 20, 2020, 08:12:04 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
Wasn’t Miami the favorite to win the series coming in?

I think they were/are.

...so what ever happens from here, is gravy.

In any case, we can always count on Theis fouls in 1st quarter.  Always 2 in the first.  Mr. reliable! 😁

« Reply #1216 on: September 20, 2020, 08:14:15 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
The last two games, as soon as I tuned it, the Cs started to inexplicably struggle and the Heat went on runs. I'm not very superstitious, but my gift to the forum and to the Cs is that I won't watch or follow any part of the game until it is over.

I only take a little credit for the win last night.

Next game I'll do the same.
TP for your sacrifice

« Reply #1217 on: September 20, 2020, 08:18:53 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
The last two games, as soon as I tuned it, the Cs started to inexplicably struggle and the Heat went on runs. I'm not very superstitious, but my gift to the forum and to the Cs is that I won't watch or follow any part of the game until it is over.

TP for your sacrifice

Funny.  I did the same thing last night.  Watched until about 6mins in the 4th.  Then changed the channel.  Couldn’t stomach another collapse...

« Reply #1218 on: September 20, 2020, 08:36:56 AM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown

TP for your sacrifice

Funny.  I did the same thing last night.  Watched until about 6mins in the 4th.  Then changed the channel.  Couldn’t stomach another collapse...
Maybe you should be fired, not Brad! Stay in the game man, we need you.

« Reply #1219 on: September 20, 2020, 09:20:09 AM »

Online jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Any discussion on why Butler was benched at the end of the game?
Certainly strange seeing him on the bench only down 5 or so, the game was far from over at that point.
Spoelstra said “they just wanted to get something quick there” when asked which seems like he was dodging the question.

Hopefully Butler is pulling a Butler and the internal destruction is starting.

« Reply #1220 on: September 20, 2020, 09:25:21 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365

I think they were/are.

In any case, we can always count on Theis fouls in 1st quarter.  Always 2 in the first.  Mr. reliable! 😁

celtics have lead the vast majority of this series and built double digit leads each game. I think they are/can be the better team. but their youth for whatever reason has allowed them to just blow those leads and lose it late

« Reply #1221 on: September 20, 2020, 09:29:06 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Certainly strange seeing him on the bench only down 5 or so, the game was far from over at that point.
Spoelstra said “they just wanted to get something quick there” when asked which seems like he was dodging the question.

I think they may have felt they needed 3s and they wanted more 3 point  sharpshooters out there at that time but I hope you are right.

« Reply #1222 on: September 20, 2020, 09:43:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It was very strange. I get wanting shooters, but would a lineup of Dragic-Herro-Robinson-Butler-Bam not be their most deadly to counter our wing lineup?

Maybe he's carrying something? Would explain his on/off effort
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #1223 on: September 20, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/1307518625222459392

Ha, not hating on you blink, but what a cheap stat by ESPN.

Think about what the last 30 years was, 17 of those years would be the stellar time frame from 1990-2007.

Altogether, in the last 30 years, there's 10 times they didn't make the playoffs, and other 8 times they were knocked out in the first round. 

Any Celtics stat can look impressive if you eliminate the great teams from the 60s, 70s, and 80s from the equation.
I feel like it's intentionally vague. Is it the last 30 Celtic postseasons, or last 30 in general?

Well Bird and Ainge did it in '86, which would be 25 postseasons ago for the Celtics, so it has to be 30 postseasons in general.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:38:31 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #1224 on: September 20, 2020, 12:45:56 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Yeah, I almost forgot that Butller can go into passive spells. Puzzling, and likely keeps him from being elite.

« Reply #1225 on: September 20, 2020, 12:57:29 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Yeah, I almost forgot that Butller can go into passive spells. Puzzling, and likely keeps him from being elite.

Yeah, that and his 3 point shooting keep from from being elite. He's also 31 years old. He's not going to mature mentally at this stage , and he's not going to develop an improved 3 point shot.

« Reply #1226 on: September 20, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

I think they were/are.

celtics have lead the vast majority of this series and built double digit leads each game. I think they are/can be the better team. but their youth for whatever reason has allowed them to just blow those leads and lose it late
part of the reason is also that miami is a good team with a good coach. more specifically, they have some really good 3 point shooters and when they heat up miami can score points in a hurry.

i think the celtics should continue to attack robinson, who is a pretty poor defender. keep scoring off of him and make him unplayable. that would hurt their 3 point shooting as well.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #1227 on: September 20, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525

Yeah, that and his 3 point shooting keep from from being elite. He's also 31 years old. He's not going to mature mentally at this stage , and he's not going to develop an improved 3 point shot.

Sure hit a big one in Game 1 though.

« Reply #1228 on: September 20, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I love the bolded point of view. And this isn't a 'let's get back out there tomorrow and get the W' situation. This has the opportunity to fester for a few days. The whole game plan seems to be for Butler to play team ball and then take over at the end. Spoelstra took that away from him.

Butler is obviously a very good player, but he is by far the least daunting of the star players we've faced so far. PHI w/ Embiid and TOR w/ Lowry seemed way more dangerous. I get that Bam keeps detroying us for a quarter each game, but it's really those pesky 3 point shooters (and their ridiculous clutch play) that are killing us.

« Reply #1229 on: September 20, 2020, 03:25:48 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown

I love the bolded point of view. And this isn't a 'let's get back out there tomorrow and get the W' situation. This has the opportunity to fester for a few days. The whole game plan seems to be for Butler to play team ball and then take over at the end. Spoelstra took that away from him.

Butler is obviously a very good player, but he is by far the least daunting of the star players we've faced so far. PHI w/ Embiid and TOR w/ Lowry seemed way more dangerous. I get that Bam keeps detroying us for a quarter each game, but it's really those pesky 3 point shooters (and their ridiculous clutch play) that are killing us.
Ridiculous is a fine way of putting it. They simply had every play they needed go their way,. Sure, a lot of it is effort, but there is a huge amount of luck present. If they miss just one of those desperation threes in games 1 and 2, we win.