Author Topic: Mike D’Antoni won’t return to Rockets  (Read 2546 times)

Re: Mike D’Antoni won’t return to Rockets
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 04:26:22 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I don't think it's a failure of small ball.  There system was working and forced the Lakers to go small too. 

The issue is it's hard to beat Lebron James, especially when he's got AD next to him.  I also think Rondo galvanized the Lakers, who were drifting a bit before he came back...he is really an incredible floor leader...taking so much pressure off of James.

Then, the Rockets had one superstar who had to come back from injury after a great season, and he sucked big time.  If Westbrook had been healthy all along, he'd have been better.
And they lost Danuel House to some sort of violation....a wing defender scoring 11 per game and rebounding well, etc...tough loss.

So, to me it's more bad luck and having to meet Lebron.  Winning a finals takes so many things to go right...

It doesn't qualify as small ball when the Lakers are playing AD. He can call himself whatever he wants, but in the current NBA he's a starting center on almost every team.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 05:10:30 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't think it's a failure of small ball.  There system was working and forced the Lakers to go small too. 

The issue is it's hard to beat Lebron James, especially when he's got AD next to him.  I also think Rondo galvanized the Lakers, who were drifting a bit before he came back...he is really an incredible floor leader...taking so much pressure off of James.

Then, the Rockets had one superstar who had to come back from injury after a great season, and he sucked big time.  If Westbrook had been healthy all along, he'd have been better.
And they lost Danuel House to some sort of violation....a wing defender scoring 11 per game and rebounding well, etc...tough loss.

So, to me it's more bad luck and having to meet Lebron.  Winning a finals takes so many things to go right...

It doesn't qualify as small ball when the Lakers are playing AD. He can call himself whatever he wants, but in the current NBA he's a starting center on almost every team.

thats true, though they were playing for him his quality more than his size....

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
He knew Houston was going to fire him
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 07:53:41 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I understand D'Antoni. Houston probably has reached it's peak.
Lots of very interesting opportunities out there.

D'Antoni's phone will be red hot.

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 10:28:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
He's been really exposed this year. Wonder who Houston pursues?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sixers looking at D'Antoni?
Can you think of a worse coach for that team than D'Antoni?

D'Antoni is a one trick pony. He hasn't a hope in hell of being successful with that giant-ball team in Philadelphia.

yeah thats anti DAntoni ball for sure .   He would actually have to,coach and know something about team ball ...not just a giant million dollar pickup style free for all game.

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 11:15:08 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Guess I'm one one of the few who like D'Antoni.....ever since his Suns were going to take down the mighty Spurs until they suspended Amare Stoudamire for one step towards a melee..

Houston, before the meltdown this series...was playing the number 1 rated defense in the bubble..or bubble playoffs...He's a good coach and I find him very likable.

D'Antoni has also missed out on one or two finals appearances with bad luck due to injury....His Rockets were extremely close a couple times....Warriors in the way, etc..
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:24:21 PM by wiley »

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 01:09:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Guess I'm one one of the few who like D'Antoni.....ever since his Suns were going to take down the mighty Spurs until they suspended Amare Stoudamire for one step towards a melee..

Houston, before the meltdown this series...was playing the number 1 rated defense in the bubble..or bubble playoffs...He's a good coach and I find him very likable.

D'Antoni has also missed out on one or two finals appearances with bad luck due to injury....His Rockets were extremely close a couple times....Warriors in the way, etc..
That's a good point about injury hurting him. I think he's one healthy Chris Paul hamstring away from a title
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)