Poll

Steven A. :Hiring of Nash is white privilege?

Agree
1 (2.7%)
Disagree
35 (94.6%)
No comment
1 (2.7%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Steven A. :Hiring of Nash is white privilege?  (Read 4502 times)

Re: Steven A. :Hiring of Nash is white privilege?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2020, 01:33:29 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Always interesting to see how far journalists/activists are willing to go for their career and/or cause.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2020, 02:10:33 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
When your two black stars want him, I can’t see how it is.

If they weren’t consulted, I can see white owner + white GM hiring an inexperienced white coach out of left field being considered “white privilege.” But by all accounts, that clearly was not the case.

With some of these instances, I wish people could step back and look at an entire situation and think maybe race is just a coincidence, and not THE reason.

Maybe they think Nash, one of the best PG’s ever, will be a good coach? Maybe guys like Marc Jackson and Ty Lue weren’t picked not because they are black, but because they have been proven to be pretty bad coaches.

I applaud Chuck for calling SAS out for his meritless racial hot-take at a time like this.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2020, 02:16:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
When your two black stars want him, I can’t see how it is.

If they weren’t consulted, I can see white owner + white GM hiring an inexperienced white coach out of left field being considered “white privilege.” But by all accounts, that clearly was not the case.

I agree with all you posted, this but just stood out to me because some might actually think like this. The owner of Brooklyn is a Taiwanese-born Canadian and the GM is a New Zealander who played all over the world. Would be strange to think of those two as concerned with hiring only whites
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2020, 02:33:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Point guard privilege, perhaps.

TP.

I always watch non-guards participating in off-ball action, and it seems that is much more conceptually difficult for non-ball handlers. Knowing where best to set up, when to pick/pop/flare/re-screen, how to call out opposition offensive schemes to teammates to react etc.

Timelord has realllly shown improvement in his knowledge of schematics this year, and deserves a lot of credit. He would probably make a fine coach one day, who knows!

The "BBIQ" point god thing is a misnomer.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2020, 06:43:32 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
    Considering how the subconscious impacts decision-making when it comes to race is often impossible, futile, and yet necessary.

Opinion: meritocracy is a great ideal but subtle and subconscious biases do often play some role even in sports where merit usually wins.  I think Stephen A overdoes it making it seem far more nefarious than it is.  But he’s not wrong if he pushEs people to consider the role of subconscious bias in decision making. To be honest, looking deeply in the mirror as to how bias might influence us subconsciously is not wrong and may help society in the long rum.

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2020, 02:29:57 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
https://twitter.com/CamCox12/status/1301738884859002880

This is why I love Barkley. He doesn’t pander to anyone. He doesn’t make up crap to get attention unlike Stephen A. Barkley always gives it to you straight wether you like it or not.

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2020, 03:50:48 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

This is why I love Barkley. He doesn’t pander to anyone. He doesn’t make up crap to get attention unlike Stephen A. Barkley always gives it to you straight wether you like it or not.
TP.  The Nets hired Jason Kidd without coaching experience and now they've hired Steve Nash without coaching experience.  Don't see the difference. 

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2020, 07:55:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Don't blame Nash , he can't help being white ,  blame the Nets for be prejudiced if thats truely the case or just another attention getter for mass media to add fuel to tensions .  Nets always doing stupid stupid things ,  seems like a strange hire to me too.  But,  there is no law say n who they have to hire , so why whine about it .

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I'm the one guy who said yes only because Nash hasn't been on the radar of trying to get a coach job. It's like they sought him out.

They are not allowed to "seek out " who they want as their coach ??? That makes them racist ??
Of course, these days, anything said or done that is not on the left's approved list, is labeled racist.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2020, 10:15:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm the one guy who said yes only because Nash hasn't been on the radar of trying to get a coach job. It's like they sought him out.

They are not allowed to "seek out " who they want as their coach ??? That makes them racist ??
Of course, these days, anything said or done that is not on the left's approved list, is labeled racist.

Go check out GreenFaith1819's comment on Page 1 of this thread.

Merry Christmas from THE LEFT.

I said "Christmas" too - spelled it out.

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2020, 10:46:51 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

TP.  The Nets hired Jason Kidd without coaching experience and now they've hired Steve Nash without coaching experience.  Don't see the difference.

Nash doesn’t have a history of domestic violence?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2020, 11:57:50 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
SAS amended his argument to include the fact that Brooklyn is a championship contender and the other guys went to bad franchises. I see his point that there is a difference, however, it doesn't change the fact that the premise is flawed -- how can it be any sort of racial privilege if KD & Kyrie wanted him? I'm pretty sure they would have hired anyone those 2 wanted regardless of race.

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2020, 12:09:16 AM »

Offline kiwiceltic

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 16
I'm the one gut who said yes only because Nash hasn't been on the radar of trying to get a coach job. It's like they sought him out.
They sought him out because Durant and Kyrie wanted him to be their coach. Are they the ones perpetuating "white privilege", by that logic?

You're forgetting the history between Nets GM Sean Marks and Nash. They were teammates at the Suns back in the mid 2000s.
If Marks has anything to do with this hire (and he 100% does), then this has nothing to do with race or white privlege.

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2020, 12:50:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Stephen A. has long been one of the hardest blowers on TV. He just gets worse and worse as the years go on. I honestly don't know why anyone gives him the time of day.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2020, 02:12:23 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Question is, is it white privilege. Not racist.

A big issue for many when hearing the term white privileged is not understanding the difference between racist and privileged.