Author Topic: Steve Nash Hired as Nets Head Coach (merged)  (Read 4027 times)

Re: Steve Nash Hired as Nets Head Coach (merged)
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 12:34:29 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I don't like being negative in general....but....poor Steve!

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2020, 12:39:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Just listened to Steven A's take.  He thinks Nash will do a great job, but calls this Exhibit A of White Privilege: A white person with zero coaching experience, being given this opportunity.  However you feel about "white privilege", one has to admit that guys like Jackson, Lue and Cassel, who have paid their coaching dues must be feeling the effects of it.  Of course if anything the finger should be pointed at the two Black stars who reportedly endorsed the hiring of Nash as the HC.

Stephen A needs to stop

Vaughn was given the opportunity and he failed

Lue is likely too in your face and Irving dealt with him in the past.  Probably didnt endorse him

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2020, 12:54:36 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59

Lue is likely too in your face and Irving dealt with him in the past.  Probably didnt endorse him

Saw it reported multiple places that Ty Lue withdrew from consideration due to "chemistry concerns"

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2020, 12:55:42 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Just listened to Steven A's take.  He thinks Nash will do a great job, but calls this Exhibit A of White Privilege: A white person with zero coaching experience, being given this opportunity.  However you feel about "white privilege", one has to admit that guys like Jackson, Lue and Cassel, who have paid their coaching dues must be feeling the effects of it.  Of course if anything the finger should be pointed at the two Black stars who reportedly endorsed the hiring of Nash as the HC.

It's like Screamin' A Smith totally erased Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd from his memory. Both had zero coaching experience or credentials when they were hired and both failed spectacularly. But hey, I guess since they don't fit his narrative we're not supposed to talk about them.

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2020, 01:47:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

It's like Screamin' A Smith totally erased Mark Jackson and Jason Kidd from his memory. Both had zero coaching experience or credentials when they were hired and both failed spectacularly. But hey, I guess since they don't fit his narrative we're not supposed to talk about them.

Nash seems like a weird pick for them but they let Kenny Atkinson go when he did a great job so, The Nets..... I think Kenny Atkinson is a great NBA coach.

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2020, 01:56:39 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Saw it live when Smith started talking bout white previlage so I turn it off.. Guess he wants a all black coaching league..Kidd or Jackson didn’t have any coaching experience either, I think
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2020, 02:08:46 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Tell mr. Smith that the truth is that bird Stockton nash had to overcome their physical disadvantages in game with their brains..black guys are the 98% in the league.. I don't say I like the nash hire.. but the issue is that you need a guy with brains. Black or white. Kyrie harden Westbrook's are for me great players.. but smart has more potential to become a better coach than those

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2020, 02:09:34 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Saw it reported multiple places that Ty Lue withdrew from consideration due to "chemistry concerns"

I can see that

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2020, 02:35:10 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
LOL...Apparently Paul Westhead, the worst defensive coach in NBA history,  wasn't available....So the Nets hired Steve Nash...The worst defensive player in NBA history.   Even with Durant...They may still be lottery-bound. 

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2020, 04:01:58 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
Tell mr. Smith that the truth is that bird Stockton nash had to overcome their physical disadvantages in game with their brains..black guys are the 98% in the league.. I don't say I like the nash hire.. but the issue is that you need a guy with brains. Black or white. Kyrie harden Westbrook's are for me great players.. but smart has more potential to become a better coach than those

Ya, I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you are just not good at articulating things gently...

I think the trend in the NBA is geared towards brainiac coaches who can handle intricate schemes and analytics. If that'st he case, and the handling of egos and "soft skills" of NBA coaches doesn't matter as much as they used to, then the population of of NBA coaches should gravitate towards being more representative of all the people playing basketball, not the guys who have been good enough to excel in the NBA. Think Stevens vs Rivers. Both brilliant, but only one had the physical gifts to play in the NBA.

The truth is there are now dozens of brainiac black players in the league who could easily fit that standard in their post-player careers. Smart's brain seems almost laboratory-designed for the complexities of modern basketball. Jaylen Brown is probably the smartest guy on the team, though I think it's more likely he eventually becomes Secretary of Education than an NBA coach.

But the truth is, there is probably an equal number of basketball-playing white guys -- or, for that matter, Asian guys -- who are not 6'7" with crazy long wingspans, but brains that are equally gifted as, say, Marcus Smart or Jaylen Brown. As long as NBA players are willing to play for coaches who never played in the league, there's a huge population of those guys in the coaching talent pool. 

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »

Offline philr13

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
What possible chance is there that Kyrie Irving is going to listen to a single word that Steve Nash has to say? Irving has a ring, Nash doesn't. Irving will wax poetic about how excited he is to play for Nash, and then completely tune him out.

I thought Jacque Vaughn did a nice job in those playoff games. He got consistent effort from his guys when they all knew they were out-matched.

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2020, 04:16:56 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
this was not done without the Iriving/Durant stamp of approval.  For that reason Stephen A. is off base.  If it was just a random hire for a team with no dictator star types....then Stephen could gripe (might not be racist...but he could gripe).  But in this situation there is no gripe that makes any sense.