Poll

Who is your preferred opponent ?

Miami Heat
24 (82.8%)
Milwaukee Bucks
5 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: ECF: Heat or Bucks?  (Read 4328 times)

Re: ECF: Heat or Bucks?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 11:00:57 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I argued on the third page of the following thread that the Bucks weren't as great as their record indicated.

https://beta.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=102495.30

In another thread, I argued that the Bucks were one of the least athletic teams and oldest teams in recent memory. In both cases, the main reason I thought they might struggle is because they aren't athletic and wouldn't have consistent shot creation. They rely, as an older team, on a lot of three point looks generated by an uptempo offense, but what happens when those looks are taken away?

I think what's more shocking is how the Heat have taken advantage of the Bucks' defense. I thought the Bucks scheme was solid, but the Heat are causing trouble on that side of the court too.

I still think Giannis is the best player in the league, I still like a lot of players for the Bucks, and I still like their scheme. I think they can still come back to win this series, but the playoffs have taken the shine off this team. They aren't quite as dominate as many thought.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:01:38 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 11:04:37 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I argued on the third page of the following thread that the Bucks weren't as great as their record indicated.

In another thread, I argued that the Bucks were one of the least athletic teams and oldest teams in recent memory. In both cases, the main reason I thought they might struggle is because they aren't athletic and wouldn't have consistent shot creation. They rely, as an older team, on a lot of three point looks generated by an uptempo offense, but what happens when those looks are taken away?

I think what's more shocking is how the Heat have taken advantage of the Bucks' defense. I thought the Bucks scheme was solid, but the Heat and causing trouble on that side of the court too.

I still think Giannis is the best player in the league, I still like a lot of players for the Bucks, and I still like their scheme. I think they can still come back to win this series, but the playoffs have taken the shine off this team. They aren't quite as dominate as many thought.
The age one is a good point. Guys like Bledsoe, Lopez x2, Matthews, Williams, Korver, Hill and Ilyasova have a lot of miles on their legs.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2020, 12:12:31 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

I think what's more shocking is how the Heat have taken advantage of the Bucks' defense. I thought the Bucks scheme was solid, but the Heat and causing trouble on that side of the court too.

great points.

I know the chances are slim but imagine if the heat sweep the bucks. Anything is possible

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2020, 12:55:05 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

great points.

I know the chances are slim but imagine if the heat sweep the bucks. Anything is possible
Even better if the Celtics sweep their series and the heat versus bucks is a seven game blood bath thar wears Miami done for Boston to sweep them as well.

Hey, if you are going to dream, dream big.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2020, 06:48:13 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Feel beating Bucks would say/be more. Like the team's chances against both if Hayward is back.

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2020, 08:04:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We match up better vs the Heat.

My only reservation is the Heat bubble game, when they beat us without Butler. 

Bam was a real problem. But RW3 played no minutes that game, it was before Brad started playing him in the bubble.  RW3 will get a lot of minutes if we advance to the Conf Finals vs the Heat, and it will be fun to see him match up vs Bam.

Hayward dominated the Heat in our last pre-bubble game vs them in late January, in Miami.  Here is hoping he is back and  full strength by then.  I dunno, I'm skeptical that he will be.

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2020, 08:50:15 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
It's tough TBH. The heat are a grindier version of our team but I think we would have an easier time with them, but with that said the Bucks and more specifically Giannis are being exposed these playoffs.. regardless of that its always Middleton who crushes us. I also think in an ECF Giannis will get more calls as the NBA attempts to get their poster boy in the finals.

I think I'd still take the Heat.

Regardless of who we play I hope that series goes 6 or 7 games so both teams are tired.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 08:55:35 AM by jbpats »

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2020, 10:29:11 AM »

• Paul Silas
Both are tough matchups in different ways, but I really think the Cs could win against either.

Brook Lopez' defense at the rim is a real problem for the Cs. They haven't been able to get the feel of rotating the ball and getting him out of position so they can attack the rim in rhythm. For that alone, I kinda' hope the Cs play the Heat.

But Butler is really good. The Heat have a lot of solid guards and wings that can match up with the Cs.

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »

Online trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Yeah, I want nothing to do with the Bucks.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
Heat.

Bucks give us more matchup problems, and my god I don't want to see Middleton put up 35+ on us every night  ::)

I find it funny how Middleton looks solid but not great against other teams so far in the bubble, but against us he just goes Ray Allen from the perimeter and kills us with 30+ points, sometimes 40+
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Heat.

Bucks give us more matchup problems, and my god I don't want to see Middleton put up 35+ on us every night  ::)

I find it funny how Middleton looks solid but not great against other teams so far in the bubble, but against us he just goes Ray Allen from the perimeter and kills us with 30+ points, sometimes 40+
More of a Kobe/Miller hybrid to me - the stuff he hits against us is jaw-dropping :laugh:. It's shocking how often he drops the ball against non-Celtic teams though lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2020, 12:36:22 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Thank goodness Thibs played Butler like 40 minutes a night for 3 years or something...that makes me slightly less concerned about the Heat...but still concerned.

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 365
Bucks bigs pose a matchup problem for the celtics.

the Heat they can match up with better. hopefully Hayward can be back if the celtics advance to the next round because I think we will need him. IDK if you can count on smart putting up 19points a night.

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Bucks bigs pose a matchup problem for the celtics.

IDK if you can count on smart putting up 19points a night.

what you talk n bout ...He is Marcus Curry  :)

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 04:11:13 PM »

• Paul Silas
So I am probably getting ahead of myself, but if the Bucks lose to the Heat this year, it will be the third year in a row of disappointments in the Eastern conference playoffs for the Bucks. We wrecked them a few years ago. The Clippers wrecked them last year. This year its the Heat.

To this point, Giannis has been extremely faithful to Milwaukee, but he might be one of the most competitive players in the NBA. If they lose, would he look at the Bucks and start to realize he doesn't have what he needs to compete for titles? He has one more year on his current deal and Milwaukee just can't let him leave for nothing. They would be strapped with one of the oldest and slowest teams in the NBA with pretty much no future assets.

In an NBA2K world, I would be saying, "I wonder if Hayward, R Williams, Langford, three firsts this year, and a billion future firsts would be enough to get them interested." I mean, that would be a comparable (arguably better) deal to what the Clippers got for George, or what the Pacers got for George, or what the Spurs got for Leonard, or what the Wolves got for Butler.

The salary cap becomes a problem quickly, but for at least one year, the Cs would be fine. Imagine a team of Walker-Brown-Tatum-Smart-Giannis with Theis-GWilliams-Kanter-vet wings and guards off the bench.

In the real world, I'd rather the Cs win this year and have good reason to run it back as is.