Author Topic: NBA Considering Changes for Better Offense/Defense Balance  (Read 904 times)

NBA Considering Changes for Better Offense/Defense Balance
« on: February 27, 2024, 03:53:42 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1762552221403615504?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The NBA's competition committee has officially begun reviewing whether the game has become too advantageous for offense and whether some changes need to be implemented to achieve better balance, per @RealGM 

Good. This has been needed for some time.

I imagine that the near yearly breaking of offensive efficiency records has prompted this discussion now.

Re: NBA Considering Changes for Better Offense/Defense Balance
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 04:00:39 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986
https://x.com/thedunkcentral/status/1762552221403615504?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

The NBA's competition committee has officially begun reviewing whether the game has become too advantageous for offense and whether some changes need to be implemented to achieve better balance, per @RealGM 

I imagine that the near yearly breaking of offensive efficiency records has prompted this discussion now.

I hope they don’t do anything radical.  The fact is that shooters are just so much better than they were, and that defenders have to cover so much more ground than they used to.  It’s advantage offense, because the skill level has increased.

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 05:20:26 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933

I hope they don’t do anything radical.  The fact is that shooters are just so much better than they were, and that defenders have to cover so much more ground than they used to.  It’s advantage offense, because the skill level has increased.

I think the standard of what kind of contact is and is not a foul both on drives and on the perimeter is a reasonable thing they could tighten up. They could also crack down CONSISTENTLY on moving screens, and that’d help balance out things, too. Players like Bam, Gobert, etc. regularly get away with tons of movement on their screens, which unfairly gives advantage to the offense. Horford did/does this a lot, too.

I’ve also seen people argue that this could mean the defensive three seconds in the lane violation could be abolished, though not sure how valuable that would end up being in todays game with so many more stretch bigs.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 05:22:37 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
Perhaps it's finally time for the Battier Shift: getting rid of the corner three.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178

I think the standard of what kind of contact is and is not a foul both on drives and on the perimeter is a reasonable thing they could tighten up. They could also crack down CONSISTENTLY on moving screens, and that’d help balance out things, too. Players like Bam, Gobert, etc. regularly get away with tons of movement on their screens, which unfairly gives advantage to the offense. Horford did/does this a lot, too.

I’ve also seen people argue that this could mean the defensive three seconds in the lane violation could be abolished, though not sure how valuable that would end up being in todays game with so many more stretch bigs.

They only ever call the 3 seconds on the Celtics so I hope they get rid of it.

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 05:28:11 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

Tightening the calls on illegal screens would certainly help, and it would also reduce injuries, so I think that makes sense.  I don’t think people would like the resulting product if they got rid of defensive three seconds or reduced the paint area, as that would simply lead to more three-point attempts, which is already the complaint.