Author Topic: With a weaker Eastern Conference, could the Celtics win 60+ games this season??  (Read 12748 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Can we win 60?  Hell, we're GOING to win 60.
To me, this looks like a team  that will win 60 games without overachieving massively.
Pretty easy schedule thus far and pretty strong health from the now top 5 (i.e. Kyrie, Al, Jaylen, Jayson, and Marcus).  60 is certainly obtainable, but I'd put the odds at more like 57 wins at this point in the season.
We've had the 14th strongest schedule so far, which is about smack in the middle. Where exactly do you expect us to be, on average, anyway?

Teams with notably weaker schedule than ours so far: Cleveland (28th), San Antonio (27th), Houston (22th). Yet, somehow I haven't seen anyone question their status because of soft schedule.
then you aren't paying attention
Is "paying attention" some sort of a new hip code speak for "agreeing with assertions that have no basis in objective reality"?
no it means there has been plenty of talk of the weaker schedules from other teams, especially the Cavs during their win streak.

i feel like i was the only person that pointed that out..
3 people mentioned it in the "will the Cavs beat our win streak" thread which is the most Cavs focused thread we have. Ive mentioned it and youve mentioned it.

That makes 5 times at least.

We dont talk about Houston much on this blog, but its been a topic in the rest of the NBA world. SAS I havent heard about much. Was actually surprised to see they had played such a crappy schedule.
And as for SAS, I think a lot of people give them a pass because Leonard has been out, Parker has missed a bunch of games, etc.  But yeah, their schedule has been weak which has helped them through their injuries.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
One of the most surprising things to me about the season so far is that the EC is +4 against the West. 

Put me down as fairly confident we'll win 60 games.  I didn't feel that way coming into the season, even with the supposed weaker East.  Team is definitely exceeding expectations.

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I last posted in this thread in July, before IT had been dealt for Irving. I predicted about 60 wins assuming a healthy IT. Well, the Celtics have a very healthy Kyrie Irving who is MVP material right now, but have been without Hayward since the start of the season. Still, they are on a pace to win 65-70 games, which is remarkable.

I think the real question now is what they have to do to go all the way to a Championship? What are they missing? I think they're missing that rim protector to defend against long centers that Baynes and Horford can't handle. Guys like Kounmpo and Drummond, and tonite, Aldridge.These guys are going to give them problems in the playoffs, and they haven't shown much ability to defend against them up to this point.

If I were Ainge, I would use that money they got for Hayward's injury and put it into a guy like Tyson Chandler--a veteran who can defend bigs inside and has valuable experience for the playoffs.