Author Topic: NBA Start Date: Focusing on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 18)  (Read 4581 times)

Re: NBA Start Date: Focusing on Martin Luther King Day (Jan. 18)
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2020, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1319709540607283200

That would mean the offseason break would be 10 weeks, half of what it is normally. I guess they need to finish by a certain date to accommodate the Olympics.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I don't know why they are starting so late. They should have just taken 2-3 weeks off and started the new season like they did in Europe with soccer.

Keep as similar a schedule as possible. Reduce long term effects off COVID on schedule planning.

They want fans at the arenas, so the later they start the better their chances to get fans back inside.  Major $$ at stake here.

If that's what they want then they may as well skip the next season, there's no way things will be any better this winter, and spring is too late to start the season.

They're willing to go ahead even if not all arenas will be able to accommodate fans.

Earlier this fall, there was momentum for starting the season later in hopes that a vaccine or even mass rapid testing would allow more fans to attend games. But as the virus continues to rage across the country, there are no guarantees that waiting would even make a difference, so the preference appears to be to get the games started sooner to allow for a longer season.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/10/23/sports/nba-targeting-dec-22-start-2020-21-season/

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2020, 03:33:56 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

That would mean the offseason break would be 10 weeks, half of what it is normally. I guess they need to finish by a certain date to accommodate the Olympics.
Can't imagine LBJ will be happy with this. Could be a slow start to the season.

Bet we'll see lots of load management, lol
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I can’t believe NBA would give two hoots about the Olympics. Let the college kids play.

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2020, 07:15:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I can’t believe NBA would give two hoots about the Olympics. Let the college kids play.
What about the other 37 countries represented in the NBA?

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2020, 09:38:52 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Can't imagine LBJ will be happy with this. Could be a slow start to the season.

Bet we'll see lots of load management, lol

Perfect. Time for some Celtics redemption. And I hope we add a big and bolster our bench soon.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2020, 07:17:58 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Also I don't think it's the NBA per se, but players from all countries that want to represent their country. Something most Americans are meh about unfortunately. People from other countries tend to view representing your country as the pinnacle but not us.

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2020, 07:54:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Also I don't think it's the NBA per se, but players from all countries that want to represent their country. Something most Americans are meh about unfortunately. People from other countries tend to view representing your country as the pinnacle but not us.
That is a peculiar mindset that I have noted. Heaps of American NBA players seem very meh about representing their country. Even Ben Simmons, whose dad is American and who spent his HS sophomore year onward in America, has taken on this attitude.

For most sportsmen and women down here that don't play our national footy code representing the country is the highest honour

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2020, 10:19:15 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I wonder if they should be planning games in open air stadiums instead of the typical closed roof NBA arena. I don't know how the air works in those NBA stadiums but I would expect it is harder to get fans in there and keep them there for two and a half hours safely (due to COVID) than it is in an outdoor stadium where you have fresh air.

An outdoor stadium would allow them get a larger number of fans through the door and boost ticket sales. Maybe 10,000 per game.

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I wonder if they should be planning games in open air stadiums instead of the typical closed roof NBA arena. I don't know how the air works in those NBA stadiums but I would expect it is harder to get fans in there and keep them there for two and a half hours safely (due to COVID) than it is in an outdoor stadium where you have fresh air.

An outdoor stadium would allow them get a larger number of fans through the door and boost ticket sales. Maybe 10,000 per game.

i cant imagine them wanting to play open air basketball games in the middle of winter
Greg

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I really wanted to embed this gif, but I just couldn't figure it out.

https://i.imgur.com/XRGw0jC.mp4

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2020, 04:12:18 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

i cant imagine them wanting to play open air basketball games in the middle of winter
Maybe the NBA will bubble them all in Hawaii during the winter.   

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2020, 10:28:31 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

That is a peculiar mindset that I have noted. Heaps of American NBA players seem very meh about representing their country. Even Ben Simmons, whose dad is American and who spent his HS sophomore year onward in America, has taken on this attitude.

For most sportsmen and women down here that don't play our national footy code representing the country is the highest honour

That's what I noticed when I lived there, and same when I lived in London - the Aussies and the British (or English I guess) really saw national representation in soccer, rugby or cricket as the pinnacle of their sporting careers, ahead of winning a championship or winning MVPs. I guess here in the US our domestic competitions (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB) are widely regarded as the best competition of the sports we play and the international competition (Olympics, FIBA World Cup, World Baseball Cup or whatever it's called) are seen as Mickey Mouse tournaments. It's only because the US was beaten in the Olympics in 2004 and has been beaten in FIBA events that players started taking the Olympics seriously.

But a lot of fans still aren't really sold...you could see by the lukewarm response here to the FIBA World Cup last year, a lot of people here didn't even want Jaylen, Jayson, Kemba and Smart to play because they might be injured for the NBA season. The FIFA World Cup is different...MLS is far from being the best soccer league around so it's obvious that playing in the World Cup is the pinnacle for an American soccer player. But in baseball and hockey the MLB and NHL are seen as the best, and as for NFL, well we're the only ones who play it  :police:

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2020, 10:33:30 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

I don't think they would mind, they'd be nice and warm running up and down the court. Fans would be used to it, especially watching the Pats here in New England. It would suck to be Jaylen in one of those games where Tatum is hogging the ball and he is stuck shivering in the corner waiting for someone to pass him the ball though  :angel: