Author Topic: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker  (Read 28002 times)

Re: Sorry not a fan of Wanamaker
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
As much as his selfishness on the fastbreak annoys me, he's actually a pretty good value player, all things considered. He's a good shooter, can hit free throws, a decent finisher, and an okay defender.
I know what you're referring to but I don't classify it as selfishness.  Wanamaker appears to do a good job of finishing when going downhill at a defender.  I would love to know the numbers but if they are as high as I  think they are, then that's just good basketball. 

Now, if he was a bad finisher in those situations then yeah, pass the ball.
Eh, he just straight misses the easy drop down for a completely uncontested layup a lot which is annyoing.

He also bulldozers some poor backup PG into a foul when the defense "thinks" its back so often that it works out in aggregate. Tradeoffs when you're that aggressive!

Jaylen does the same thing.  A lot of defenders just count their team mates who are back and don't actually defend in transition. Jaylen and Brad punish this lapse consistently.
I don't think he "misses" as many as some fans think.  If a guy is wide open for a layup, sure, pass the ball.  But often fans can see whether the angle for the pass is there or whether the defender will be able to recover on the guy catching the pass.  At that point, a player has to judge whether the risk of a pass outweighs taking to the hoop with a defender in front. 

Sure, some players may be more apt to pass than others.  But the point is to score the ball, and Wanamaker seems to be fairly effective doing so.

« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2020, 08:02:58 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
As much as his selfishness on the fastbreak annoys me, he's actually a pretty good value player, all things considered. He's a good shooter, can hit free throws, a decent finisher, and an okay defender.
I know what you're referring to but I don't classify it as selfishness.  Wanamaker appears to do a good job of finishing when going downhill at a defender.  I would love to know the numbers but if they are as high as I  think they are, then that's just good basketball. 

Eh, he just straight misses the easy drop down for a completely uncontested layup a lot which is annyoing.

He also bulldozers some poor backup PG into a foul when the defense "thinks" its back so often that it works out in aggregate. Tradeoffs when you're that aggressive!

Jaylen does the same thing.  A lot of defenders just count their team mates who are back and don't actually defend in transition. Jaylen and Brad punish this lapse consistently.
I don't think he "misses" as many as some fans think.  If a guy is wide open for a layup, sure, pass the ball.  But often fans can see whether the angle for the pass is there or whether the defender will be able to recover on the guy catching the pass.  At that point, a player has to judge whether the risk of a pass outweighs taking to the hoop with a defender in front. 

Sure, some players may be more apt to pass than others.  But the point is to score the ball, and Wanamaker seems to be fairly effective doing so.

Nah, he has had moments where he turned the ball over trying to drive on 2 guys when he has open shooters on the wings on fastbreak.

Also last time I checked Wanamaker is our worst player true shooting wise. That clearly says there are more effective players at shooting the ball he should pass to.

Its not our imagination. he does miss a lot of easy opportunities for better teammates.

« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2020, 08:12:58 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Nah, he has had moments where he turned the ball over trying to drive on 2 guys when he has open shooters on the wings on fastbreak.

Also last time I checked Wanamaker is our worst player true shooting wise. That clearly says there are more effective players at shooting the ball he should pass to.

Its not our imagination. he does miss a lot of easy opportunities for better teammates.
Agree to disagree.

« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2020, 09:41:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Except for the first week or two of the season, Wanamaker has never been near being the worst Celtic at TS%. Besides the scrubs, Tatum, Smart and Grant Williams, as regulars, have been worse at TS% than Wanamaker for most of the year. The following Celtics have TS%'s lower than Brad Wanamaker:

Jayson Tatum
Semi Ojeleye
Vincent Poirier
Marcus Smart
Grant Williams
Tremont Waters
Carsen Edwards

« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2020, 12:46:47 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

He’s currently at .557 - ahead of Tatum and Smart, among others, and sixth out of ten (by my count) rotation players.

He’s excellent at getting to the line - .352 FT rate, tops among rotation players; and he’s a AAA free throw shooter.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2020, 01:11:01 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think Wanamaker has been fine.  I guess I don't have really crazy expectations for him.
He has a toughness about him that I like, especially on offense going to the rim in transition.

« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2020, 04:02:59 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
He's fairly solid as a backup PG, but he has very limited upside and no particularly strong skills. He can be disappointing because it seems like guard is not as difficult a position to find talent in. It would be great if some of the late first/second round picks of the last few years had developed to the point where they would now be solid rotation guys, but it just hasn't happened.

« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2020, 02:00:10 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
He's fairly solid as a backup PG, but he has very limited upside and no particularly strong skills.

Again, he’s excellent at getting to the line - .352 FT rate, tops among Celtics rotation players; and he’s a AAA free throw shooter, currently at a near-automatic .917, one of a handful at the top of the league.

It would be great if some of the late first/second round picks of the last few years had developed to the point where they would now be solid rotation guys, but it just hasn't happened.

Grant Williams and Semi Ojeleye are solid rotation guys - both also have upside. Grant is doing that as a rookie.

Rob Williams looks like he'll be a solid rotation guy if he can stay healthy, though I for one have doubts about his health. At any rate he was a rotation player before his recent bone issue.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:10:48 PM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2020, 07:03:52 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge will hang himself this season by not bringing in a true backup point

It was very evident today vs LA that Wannabe is not nba material

« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2020, 07:09:55 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Rondo toyed with him tonight. He allowed Rondo to get in the lane and the defense scrambling because of that.

« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2020, 07:15:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Geesh....our 4th-5th guard, 3rd string PG had a bad game. Who would have thunk it? Clearly, he should never have a bad game!

« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Tonight is an example...

Wanna is an ok backup pg for the regular season but I hope he gets little playoff minutes. He will be turnover prone against good defensive pgs an lit up by microwave scorers. He will be picked on and exposed if he gets regular playoff minutes. He could come in as a change up Or possible steadying influence in a single game of a series but should not be relied upon as a 10min a game backup against contending teams.

« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Look, I'm not going to pretend that Wanamaker wasn't hot garbage today. He was.

However, Wanamaker isn't going to play 12+ minutes that often. There isn't much CBS can do when Kemba's ruled out and Smart also went down for a little bit of time with that injury early on. Langford had to play 15 minutes as is.

Come playoff time and assuming we're healthy, Wanamaker will probably only play 8-10 minutes a night.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2020, 08:01:29 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Tonight is an example...

Wanna is an ok backup pg for the regular season but I hope he gets little playoff minutes. He will be turnover prone against good defensive pgs an lit up by microwave scorers. He will be picked on and exposed if he gets regular playoff minutes. He could come in as a change up Or possible steadying influence in a single game of a series but should not be relied upon as a 10min a game backup against contending teams.

He won’t lol calm down.

« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2020, 08:04:40 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
Look, I'm not going to pretend that Wanamaker wasn't hot garbage today. He was.

However, Wanamaker isn't going to play 12+ minutes that often. There isn't much CBS can do when Kemba's ruled out and Smart also went down for a little bit of time with that injury early on. Langford had to play 15 minutes as is.

Come playoff time and assuming we're healthy, Wanamaker will probably only play 8-10 minutes a night.

You’re right that his minutes tonite were forced but regardless of the reason if he is getting regular playoff minutes it’s a problem. No blame to anyone from me, just stating my opinion and what I see as the wannamaker limitation.