Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375361 times)

Re: The Sixers and the 2017 draft - Filling out roster
« Reply #315 on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
You know they can't trade Noel on draft night, correct?  It's the February trade deadline or nothing for him.
Good point. They should resign him as Embiid's backup and look to trade Okafor to move up in the draft.

He's not going to re-sign to be a backup in Philly.  Failing to trade him in a month will have been a mistake.
He's restricted so he doesn't have a choice right?

He can sign a contract with another team.  The Sixers can match it, but if they do he can't be traded for a year, and they will have a very, very unhappy player on their hands.  There's been a thaw in the relationship the past few weeks, but I'm sure that thaw came with a promise that they would trade him elsewhere.

If he can't get a free agent contract to his liking because teams think the 76ers will just match, he can sign a one-year contract for $5.9 million and be able to veto any trade before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The most they'll ever be able to get for Noel at this point occurs during this trading season.  Otherwise his value drops and/or he's untradable.

« Reply #316 on: January 17, 2017, 01:27:01 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
You know they can't trade Noel on draft night, correct?  It's the February trade deadline or nothing for him.
Good point. They should resign him as Embiid's backup and look to trade Okafor to move up in the draft.

He's not going to re-sign to be a backup in Philly.  Failing to trade him in a month will have been a mistake.
He's restricted so he doesn't have a choice right?

He can sign a contract with another team.  The Sixers can match it, but if they do he can't be traded for a year, and they will have a very, very unhappy player on their hands.  There's been a thaw in the relationship the past few weeks, but I'm sure that thaw came with a promise that they would trade him elsewhere.

If he can't get a free agent contract to his liking because teams think the 76ers will just match, he can sign a one-year contract for $5.9 million and be able to veto any trade before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The most they'll ever be able to get for Noel at this point occurs during this trading season.  Otherwise his value drops and/or he's untradable.
I think he will take the money. 50 million is too much to pass up. Also, GMs are not as high on Noel. He has more value to Sixers then what he will return for them in a trade.

Sixers would be smart to resign him as insurance in case Embiid gets injured again. After a year they can trade Noel.

« Reply #317 on: January 17, 2017, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't see the Sixers moving Noel for Rozier and pieces because the 2017 draft can fill all their needs in the backcourt. If they do have any plans to move Noel or Okafor it's most likely to package one of them to move up in the draft to get the player they want. I wouldn't take the deal but I could see them offering Okafor and the fifth pick for our second pick.

Let's say there are no trades and you're the GM of the Sixers.

Who are you drafting with the 5th and 7th pick to fill that roster?

My selections are Monk and Fox from Kentucky.

C - Embiid
PF - Saric
SF - Simmons
SG - Monk
PG - Fox

Simmons is better suited to play PF.  He won't waste his energy defending smaller/quicker sfs

Embiid
Simmons
Jackson/Tatum
Luwawu
Frank Ntilikina/Fox

OR

Embiid
Simmons
Bridges/Isaac
Luwawu
Smith

« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2017, 01:40:25 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
PG - (free agent)
SG - Monk
SF - Tatum
PF - Ben Simmons, Saric
 C - Embiid, J.Okafor

Maybe Jeff Teague as the free agent.

I think Bryan Colangelo will want some shooting and scoring on his team. I like Tatum here. I think he would be a good fit alongside Simmons and Embiid in the frontcourt. I went with Monk because I think he is likely to be available with their later pick.

I know there is no trades but as an aside ...

I'd love to see Brandon Knight on this team. The Sixers do not need a playmaking PG with Ben Simmons expected to take over or at least share the playmaking duties. I think Knight would fit in very well as a PG for Philly. Big, strong defensively, solid rebounder, can create for himself and play off the ball, a solid setup guard but lacking in playmaking. It doesn't look like he has much trade value at the moment. I'd love to see Philly make a run at him and move Knight back full time to PG.

« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I don't see the Sixers moving Noel for Rozier and pieces because the 2017 draft can fill all their needs in the backcourt. If they do have any plans to move Noel or Okafor it's most likely to package one of them to move up in the draft to get the player they want. I wouldn't take the deal but I could see them offering Okafor and the fifth pick for our second pick.

Let's say there are no trades and you're the GM of the Sixers.

Who are you drafting with the 5th and 7th pick to fill that roster?

My selections are Monk and Fox from Kentucky.

C - Embiid
PF - Saric
SF - Simmons
SG - Monk
PG - Fox

Simmons is better suited to play PF.  He won't waste his energy defending smaller/quicker sfs

Embiid
Simmons
Jackson/Tatum
Luwawu
Frank Ntilikina/Fox

OR

Embiid
Simmons
Bridges/Isaac
Luwawu
Smith
Is Luwawu any good?

« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
PG - (free agent)
SG - Monk
SF - Tatum
PF - Ben Simmons, Saric
 C - Embiid, J.Okafor

I think Bryan Colangelo will want some shooting and scoring on his team. I like Tatum here. I think he would be a good fit alongside Simmons and Embiid in the frontcourt. I went with Monk because I think he is likely to be available with their later pick.

There are like 5 quality pgs in this years draft... it would be sad if the 76ers didn't grab one , with one of their picks.

« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2017, 01:46:50 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I love discussing the 76ers (mainly okafor and noel) as much as anyone but the amount of time obsessing over them is getting extreme even for me. We got some people thinking they will make the playoffs and other people thinking they are getting two high lottery picks. There is too much fluidity in the situation to worry about it every single day imo.

« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2406
PG - (free agent)
SG - Monk
SF - Tatum
PF - Ben Simmons, Saric
 C - Embiid, J.Okafor

There are like 5 quality pgs in this years draft... it would be sad if the 76ers didn't grab one , with one of their picks.

It looks like Philly is going to play themselves out of a top 5 pick ... and three of those five PGs are likely to in the top five. So take Fultz, Ball and Smith off the table.

That leaves Fox and Ntilikina. I think Fox is a bad fit next to Simmons because he needs the ball in his hands and he cannot shoot / play off the ball. That leaves the international man of mystery Ntilikina.

If Philly continue to win and end up outside the top 5, I think their PG options will be fairly limited.

« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2017, 02:16:21 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I love discussing the 76ers (mainly okafor and noel) as much as anyone but the amount of time obsessing over them is getting extreme even for me. We got some people thinking they will make the playoffs and other people thinking they are getting two high lottery picks. There is too much fluidity in the situation to worry about it every single day imo.
I agree.  I'm sick of people creating all of these threads.  It's tiresome having to correct people over and over again.

« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2017, 02:25:09 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I agree.  I'm sick of people creating all of these threads.  It's tiresome having to correct people over and over again.

lol Lar you kill me.
#JKJB

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #325 on: January 17, 2017, 02:26:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Oh, and for a little perspective, Embiid is looking real good but he's 22 and will turn 23 this season.

Embiid is averaging 19.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.  22-year-old rookie Alonzo Mourning averaged 21 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

But wait!  Embiid is on a minutes and game restriction.  He's averaging 25 minutes a game and is on pace to only play about 50 games.  Mourning averaged 34 minutes and played 78 games as a rookie.  Well, the per 36 numbers have Embiid at 28 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.3 blocks and Mourning at 22.3 points, 11 rebounds and 3.7 blocks.  But per 36, Embiid is also averaging 19.7 shots a game to Mounings 15.2.

And Embiid has still played fewer games in the NBA than he did his only year in college.

I'd kill for Boston to have a center as good as Mourning but if you suck for half a decade and at the end of if you've got Mourning and a better version of Lamar Odom to show for it, was it really worth it?

Mike
Wow.  So you're saying Embiid who has maybe 100 organized basketball games on his belt in his entire life and is working off two seasons of injury rust that continues to have his minutes limited as he gets into shape - is already playing comparable basketball to a Hall Of Fame player who came into the league healthy after 4 years of College basketball back when College basketball actually had serious competition?   That's pretty amazing.

I came into this season expecting Embiid to be a long-term star who in this first recovery season would maybe average 15-20 minutes per game with like 8 points, 4 rebounds and a block   I figured if he averaged close to what Andre Drummond did as a rookie (7.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 1 steal) it would have to be considered a massive win given how raw Embiid was coming out of college and the fact he's been bedridden for two years.   But now you're telling me the kid is already playing on the same level as a hall of fame player... that's incredible.
You are lying.  You said Embiid would be the rookie of the year.
Thanks Moiso for reminding everyone that I was one of the few people who legitimately thought Embiid had Rookie of the Year potential despite him being 7th at the highest in vegas odds and most around here having already written him off as a bust that would never play basketball again.

That said, I can't take full credit for foreseeing this.  In-fact, in the pre-season thread about vegas rookie odds, while you correctly point out that I pinpointed Embiid as a potential candidate, I was quick to point out that he was unlikely to get the minutes to put up the stats required.    Had Embiid, having missed two straight seasons due to a stress fracture, been limited to under 15 minutes per game in his first season adjusting to the pros - I don't think anyone would have been shocked about it.   They would have mostly been impressed he was playing any basketball at all.   Nobody would have been stunned to see him average 8 and 4 in limited minutes.  In-fact, even the most optimistic of fans figured at most he'd average something like 13 points and 8 rebounds.   Nobody anticipated this kid would immediately lead all centers in the league in defense at the rim, or that he'd be putting up historical points-per-minute numbers (only Wilt was better)... or that he might literally be the best big man in the Eastern Conference already. 

Fair to say the goalpost is being moved when MBunge compares rookie Embiid to a hall of famer and acts like it's a disappointment. 

« Reply #326 on: January 17, 2017, 02:38:15 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Just said it in another thread... 

if Philly keeps winning games or even improbably makes the playoffs, they could end up enacting their swap-rights with the Kings and picking somewhere in the 8-12. 

It would be pretty funny if their best player available was Harry Giles - another big man.

Let's say the Sixers end up with the Lakers pick where it is now (#6) and the second pick ends up as, say, #10. Assuming Giles is still available at that point and that Ainge decides he is worth the risk, is there a realistic trade (i.e., one that Philly accepts) to pick him up? And how do you account for the fact that, if he's healthy enough for the Celtics to want him, he's also likely healthy enough that the Sixers will, too (i.e., the Embiid factor)?

Does something along the lines of Rozier and the 2018 Celtics pick get it done?

Mike

« Reply #327 on: January 17, 2017, 02:39:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Just said it in another thread... 

if Philly keeps winning games or even improbably makes the playoffs, they could end up enacting their swap-rights with the Kings and picking somewhere in the 8-12. 

It would be pretty funny if their best player available was Harry Giles - another big man.

Let's say the Sixers end up with the Lakers pick where it is now (#6) and the second pick ends up as, say, #10. Assuming Giles is still available at that point and that Ainge decides he is worth the risk, is there a realistic trade (i.e., one that Philly accepts) to pick him up? And how do you account for the fact that, if he's healthy enough for the Celtics to want him, he's also likely healthy enough that the Sixers will, too (i.e., the Embiid factor)?

Does something along the lines of Rozier and the 2018 Celtics pick get it done?

Mike
Do you mean Rozier and the 2018 Brooklyn pick?   I wouldn't think Rozier and a future pick in the 20s would get you a top 10 pick in this draft.

« Reply #328 on: January 17, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
PG - (free agent)
SG - Monk
SF - Tatum
PF - Ben Simmons, Saric
 C - Embiid, J.Okafor

It looks like Philly is going to play themselves out of a top 5 pick ... and three of those five PGs are likely to in the top five. So take Fultz, Ball and Smith off the table.

That leaves Fox and Ntilikina. I think Fox is a bad fit next to Simmons because he needs the ball in his hands and he cannot shoot / play off the ball. That leaves the international man of mystery Ntilikina.

If Philly continue to win and end up outside the top 5, I think their PG options will be fairly limited.

good points...especially with Simmons also playing as a point forward

Rozier could actually be a decent fit for them (with your prediction of the 76ers drafting Tatum, Monk)

Noel for Rozier type trade could benefit both teams

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #329 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Philly is playing in Washington right now with Okafor filling in for Embiid (second night of a back-to-back)... Okafor just went to the line and Philly fans in attendance started chanting "MVP'.  What an entertaining season.

Lol what idiots

It was a 350 person bus trip, and they had planned to do MVP chants every time a Sixers player went to the line.

Trust me, those fans are about as out on the future of Okafor as anybody. As am I, because he stinks.

Thanks Randy. Glad you agree with me on this as someone that watches them  a ton.