Poll

Who will be the better point guard in 5-8 years?

Marcus Smart
7 (58.3%)
Emmanuel Mudiay
5 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Better future PG prospect: Marcus Smart or Emmanuel Mudiay?  (Read 5132 times)

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
5-8 years from now, who do you think will be the better point guard?

Smart was the #6 overall pick last year, Mudiay is projected to go somewhere in the 4-7 range this year.

Do you think Danny's rumored offer to Philly indicates he thinks Mudiay/Angelo will be a better point guard and were the target at the #3 pick (considering Noel was included in the proposed package)?
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Better future PG prospect: Marcus Smart or Emmanuel Mudiay?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 05:05:56 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really scratch my head in the jumps in logic people make.

Not saying that Mudiay may not end up being better than Smart, but in what world is Smart for Noels + #3 indicative of Danny thinking that they have a better prospect than Smart in the PG position?

Also, I have my doubts of what position Smart will play going forward anyways, so the point is moot on that regard.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 05:07:33 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Mudiay and its not close. Just a better overall package than Banks 2.0. Plus one is a combo guard and the other is a PG.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 05:08:14 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If I was a betting man, I'd say Smart. Mudiay is just such a high risk/high reward prospect that it's hard to have too much confidence in him. Mudiay could be GREAT, but he could easily be the next Johnny Flynn. Smart could be the next Wade, he could be a defensive role player. I'd say Mudiay's ceiling's a bit higher, but Smart is more likely to reach his ceiling. D'Angelo Russell might be a different story though...
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 05:10:35 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
It's really tough. I love Smart but I'll take Mudiay's median outcome by a slim margin. He'll be a much better offensive player all-around, and he at least has the tools to be good defensively.

He's got way more variance than Smart though, Smart is pretty much guaranteed to be at least a great role player whereas Mudiay could become a non-starter if he doesn't learn to create offense at the NBA level. Conversely Mudiay has way more all-star equity, as he has the explosiveness to eventually be a #1 offensive option.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 05:10:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Mudiay = I think he is the most talented PG prospect to enter the league since John Wall.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 05:12:43 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
May make me sound dumb in the future, but i had a similar conversation this morning and said i think Mudiay is going to be the steal of this draft.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:16:10 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
If I was a betting man, I'd say Smart. Mudiay is just such a high risk/high reward prospect that it's hard to have too much confidence in him. Mudiay could be GREAT, but he could easily be the next Johnny Flynn. Smart could be the next Wade, he could be a defensive role player. I'd say Mudiay's ceiling's a bit higher, but Smart is more likely to reach his ceiling. D'Angelo Russell might be a different story though...

Smart will never be 1/20th the player Flash is.

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 05:16:54 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Mudiay = I think he is the most talented PG prospect to enter the league since John Wall.

Strong words Who. I like it.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 05:22:18 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152

Im sorry to inform you of this but he already is and was when he entered the league. Remove glasses obstructing view.
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Im sorry to inform you of this but he already is and was when he entered the league. Remove glasses obstructing view.

He will never be 1/20th the player that Flash was*.

Whatever biases you hold against him, Wade will go down as one of the 15 greatest shooting guards in the history of the NBA. Certainly top 5 since the implementation of the three point line.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:34:14 PM »

Offline Schiller

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
  • Ball Don't Lie!
Am I the only one who thinks Mudiay is going to be a bust? No one knows anything. Remember Dante Exum? Same position, similar height, both good athletes, both foreign. They said he would be amazing too. Too much hype is piled onto all these kids being drafted.
"I'm cold-blooded!" - Paul Pierce

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:21 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Am I the only one who thinks Mudiay is going to be a bust? No one knows anything. Remember Dante Exum? Same position, similar height, both good athletes, both foreign. They said he would be amazing too. Too much hype is piled onto all these kids being drafted.

It's too early to consider Exum a bust IMO. His first season wasn't good, but no one really expected it to be (granted be wasn't expected to be this bad). There is definite bust potential with Mudiay as well. From what I've seen he's a truly terrible shooter, often times releasing on the way down, its ugly. His basketball IQ also seems quite low. However, a 6'6" frame paired with great court vision and athleticism are tantalizing. I'm looking forward to watching him progress in the NBA. I hope he turns out well, but I also acknowledge the very legimitate concerns with this kid.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 05:40:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

good luck on getting him to take those glasses off. cb8883 has a strict agenda to keep and mind to keep closed on this point. it does get tiresome at times.

as for mudiay, as much as i like smart, it is no contest in my mind. mudiay is going to be very, very good. some months ago i went on record as saying i would choose him first in the draft. i like this guy's talent and skills.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva