Author Topic: Stanley Johnson and Kelly Oubre Jr.  (Read 5662 times)

Stanley Johnson and Kelly Oubre Jr.
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:12:44 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
If you guys would like to read two detailed scouting reports on both Kelly Oubre and Stanley Johnson and how they could potentially fit with the Celtics go check out these links below:

https://bandrincorporated.wordpress.com/stanley-johnson/

and

https://bandrincorporated.wordpress.com/kelly-oubre-jr/

Re: Stanley Johnson and Kelly Oubre Jr.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 03:57:41 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I don't understand the Oubre hype.  He was OK this year, but his stats don't jump off the page and in the Kansas games I watched (admittedly not that many) he was pretty invisible.  I get that he projects as a 3-and-D guy in the pros and those are valuable, but in the late lottery shouldn't you want a bit more than that?  And if you're going to spend a lottery pick on a a shooter who's an average athlete by NBA standards, wouldn't you want one that shot better than 36% from the college 3 point line?  I'd be fine with Oubre with the Clippers pick, but I don't think I'd even want him at 15 and he's supposed to get picked before that.

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:06:51 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
Yeah you're right and that's why I think Oubre will have a drop on draft day, but the Celtics have a need at SF and if you look at most of the other players at 15 or 16 it would be better to grab Oubre and just hope he develops into the starting SF of the future because he really would be best player available at 15-16.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 05:46:54 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't understand the Oubre hype.  He was OK this year, but his stats don't jump off the page and in the Kansas games I watched (admittedly not that many) he was pretty invisible.  I get that he projects as a 3-and-D guy in the pros and those are valuable, but in the late lottery shouldn't you want a bit more than that?  And if you're going to spend a lottery pick on a a shooter who's an average athlete by NBA standards, wouldn't you want one that shot better than 36% from the college 3 point line?  I'd be fine with Oubre with the Clippers pick, but I don't think I'd even want him at 15 and he's supposed to get picked before that.

Pillow-soft, absolutely abused and outworked by the Wichita State kids in the NCAA tournament. Ambivalent defender. He needs more work than James Young.

Not interested.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 06:10:07 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
AleWilliam is that your website?  If so nice work!
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:34:29 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Oubre had a lot of potential coming in
Some had him ranked behind Okafor, towns and mudiay

He seems to have the athleticism and length to play in the pros
But he seems to rely on that too much and doesn't have that many moves so when can't beat a guy with his athleticism he can't do anything (which is important cuz that potential is what he is getting drafted for) 
Also he doesn't look good defensively despite the tools

Right now he is looking more like a Terence Ross level player rather than derozan

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:52:08 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think Stanley Johnson is better but he will probably be drafted before our pick. Kelly Oubre Jr has a lot of potential but I think he is similar to James Young and we already have him. But if he is the best available player I would still probably pick him.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:24:58 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I think Stanley Johnson is better but he will probably be drafted before our pick. Kelly Oubre Jr has a lot of potential but I think he is similar to James Young and we already have him. But if he is the best available player I would still probably pick him.

Exactly where I am on Oubre. We already have him in James Young but that doesn't mean he's out of the question. James Young has never played at a level as high as Oubre played in AAU/High School although for that matter, Oubre never fared as well  as James Young did in the NCAA.

I'm reserving judgement until I see how he fairs in the NBA with less attention paid to him and more spacing to work with. Oubre isn't my first, second or 3rd choice but if we're at 15 and he's the best player available, welcome to Boston.

Despite the playoff push we are still in asset collection mode. Don't think we're close enough to contention to sign off on a low ceiling older player like Kaminiski.

Plus this way, Maybe James Young develops, maybe Oubre develops, on the off chance that they both develop... well there are worse problems to have than which blue chip, emerging, impact wing do we choose from?

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:31:11 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70

Exactly where I am on Oubre. We already have him in James Young but that doesn't mean he's out of the question. James Young has never played at a level as high as Oubre played in AAU/High School although for that matter, Oubre never fared as well  as James Young did in the NCAA.

I'm reserving judgement until I see how he fairs in the NBA with less attention paid to him and more spacing to work with. Oubre isn't my first, second or 3rd choice but if we're at 15 and he's the best player available, welcome to Boston.

Despite the playoff push we are still in asset collection mode. Don't think we're close enough to contention to sign off on a low ceiling older player like Kaminiski.

Plus this way, Maybe James Young develops, maybe Oubre develops, on the off chance that they both develop... well there are worse problems to have than which blue chip, emerging, impact wing do we choose from?

I agree with everything you said. TP.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:36:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Count me in on this opinion. Oubre to me is like a higher ceiling james young. The stroke isn't as sweet and the college production wasn't half of youngs but he is so much more explosive and he's longer and e was a top top recruit it of hs Danny singe seems to like those when he's back around 2 sully and ab are examples. In the other Oubre thread some people made a Jeff green comparison and I think you could do much much worse. Oubre is shorter but they have the same type of straight line athleticism and elite defensive potential but they also both have no dribble moves etc. also biggest issue with both is being engaged all the time. However on college towards the end of the year Oubre flashed some great D and I think he's a efree rebounder than green. Also even if he is no better than the 2/3 version of green who was a 3/4 I would be really happy with that at 16.

Him and james young would be similar but I figure at least one would figure it out an both have big time ceilings
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 09:23:29 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39

he's definitely an above average athlete.

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 10:41:49 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
AleWilliam is that your website?  If so nice work!
Yeah that's my website and thank you very much. If anybody enjoyed reading the scouting reports please like each one or comment and tell me how you feel on my site.

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 11:57:53 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Pillow-soft, absolutely abused and outworked by the Wichita State kids in the NCAA tournament. Ambivalent defender. He needs more work than James Young.

Not interested.

Oubre has a 7'2 wingspan, the quicks of a guard, and 3pt shooting. That is not a mold that you thumb your nose at. Not exceptional athleticism but hardly "average" - better than Avery Bradley, for example.

This is a guy who hasn't developed his game to the level of the NBA yet, but there also isn't any reason to think he won't. He hasn't shown bad feel for the game or BBIQ. I'd be thrilled to take him.

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Oubre and Young have very high ceiling indeed. I think they both fit well with each other and I think there will be a higher chance that one of them will pan out very good. I think that they can motivate each other. I think that James is better offensively and Kelly is better defensively. They both have excellent size and wingspan for wings but they'll have to improve their work ethic (Kelly improved on D in the last months). At 15, he could be a steal for us like Young could be at 17.

P.S. Having two Kelly on the same team would be cool and they are both KO.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 01:12:44 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Based on watching a bunch of their games this season, Johnson reminds me of Crowder and Oubre reminds me of James Young when he was at Kentucky.

I'm not particularly high on these two players as guys that can move the needle on this team.