Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 87942 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I hope to heck that the Sox aren't dumb enough to try and plug Hanley at SS on an everyday basis. His defense is pretty atrocious at this point.
Bogaerts wasn't exactly lighting it up defensively, either. I don't pretend to be any sort of baseball expert, but he appeared way more adequate at third last season (and no, the decline in production was not related to the move from short to third...).

his defense was good at ss, not 3b.  they should have never tried that.

here's my shot:
RF-Betts
2B-Pedroia
DH-Ortiz
3B-Panda
LF-HanRam
1B-Napoli
SS-Boagarts
CF-Castillo
C-Vasquez

SP1-Hamels (trade for Cespedas)
SP2-?
SP3-Bucholtz
SP4-Kelly
SP5-Ranaudo

I'm tempted to put DeLarosa, Owens, Doubbront, Workman, etc., in the top five, maybe slide Kelly into the #2 spot.  I don't see the need to get a big arm like others, I think the big arm is on the roster already, just needs to develop and gain experience.  Its kind of like my belief with Sully in that he can be like Klove, just needs time.

Once the Sox rid themselves  of Drew and moved Xander back to SS, he played solid defense.  The infield defense will be good.  Panda is a good defender and Dusty and Napoli are GG caliber.  Hanley's bat profiles well in a corner outfield spot and he is a tremendous athlete, he will adapt easily out there.  They may actually have the most athletic outfield in the big leagues next season with Hanley, Castillo and Betts. 

There is no doubt Cespedes gets dealt, I think Seattle or Cincy.  I still believe they will get Lester, something along the lines of 6/ 135....

Love how bold Cherington is....

« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2014, 01:11:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I never expected them to sign both Panda and Ramirez, but it makes sense since there have been a lot of reports that they are unhappy with Cespedes.  Hanley isn't playing well at SS and should be fine in left field.  There's no doubt Cespedes with be traded for a quality starting pitcher, probably along with a couple of their pitching prospects.  If the Sox can bring back Lester, this offseason will be a huge success.
Cespedes didn't do himself any favors by refusing to play RF, and being so atrocious in front of the wall with the process. I loved the clutch hitting and the RBIs, but I think it's a safe bet that he'll be moved. Sadly, he probably won't fetch much in the process.

Hanley hasn't played SS for a couple of years now. The question is whether he'd be adequate at 3B, and by extension -- whether you need Sandoval.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
I never expected them to sign both Panda and Ramirez, but it makes sense since there have been a lot of reports that they are unhappy with Cespedes.  Hanley isn't playing well at SS and should be fine in left field.  There's no doubt Cespedes with be traded for a quality starting pitcher, probably along with a couple of their pitching prospects.  If the Sox can bring back Lester, this offseason will be a huge success.
Cespedes didn't do himself any favors by refusing to play RF, and being so atrocious in front of the wall with the process. I loved the clutch hitting and the RBIs, but I think it's a safe bet that he'll be moved. Sadly, he probably won't fetch much in the process.

Hanley hasn't played SS for a couple of years now. The question is whether he'd be adequate at 3B, and by extension -- whether you need Sandoval.

Hanley is done - 4/88 mil with a 5th year vesting.  Reached out to Cherington to come back to Fenway to play LF, wants to play with Ortiz who he considers his  mentor....

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 01:29:44 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Did you mean to write that Hanley hasn't been playing SS well?  Because he's been playing exclusively at SS for the Dodgers.  Despite his size, Sandoval is actually a good defensive third baseman, better than Ramirez when the Marlins tried him there. 
Cespedes does have some value... athletic power hitter with a decent batting average.  I bet they can get a #2 starter even if it requires the Sox to send one of Renaudo, Webster, etc.

« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Did you mean to write that Hanley hasn't been playing SS well?  Because he's been playing exclusively at SS for the Dodgers.  Despite his size, Sandoval is actually a good defensive third baseman, better than Ramirez when the Marlins tried him there. 
Cespedes does have some value... athletic power hitter with a decent batting average.  I bet they can get a #2 starter even if it requires the Sox to send one of Renaudo, Webster, etc.
No, I just have problems with the numerical conversion of positions in baseball. This, and I have probably last checked Ramirez when he was still with the Marlins...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I'm not convinced it'll be Castillo in CF and Betts in Right. I could see that flip flopped. Castillo has the better arm, and I think Betts with more experience will improve to the point where he's an above average CF.

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2014, 02:21:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
I'm not convinced it'll be Castillo in CF and Betts in Right. I could see that flip flopped. Castillo has the better arm, and I think Betts with more experience will improve to the point where he's an above average CF.
Frankly, I don't really understand the Castillo signing very well. Strikes me as the MLB equivalent of giving a max deal to someone like Tayshaun Prince, Jeff Green, Nicholas Batum or Boris Diaw.

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2014, 02:33:58 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Frankly, I don't really understand the Castillo signing very well. Strikes me as the MLB equivalent of giving a max deal to someone like Tayshaun Prince, Jeff Green, Nicholas Batum or Boris Diaw.

He's supposed to be a very good outfielder with a lot of speed and can hit.  It's a big risk though.  The success of Cespedes, Puig, and Abreu made Castillo a lot of money.  And I think the Red Sox were planning on Bradley Jr. to be their center fielder of the future, but he's shown that he may never hit which made the Sox desperate.  I'm skeptical, but excited to see what he can do.

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2014, 02:44:59 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

He's supposed to be a very good outfielder with a lot of speed and can hit.  It's a big risk though.  The success of Cespedes, Puig, and Abreu made Castillo a lot of money.  And I think the Red Sox were planning on Bradley Jr. to be their center fielder of the future, but he's shown that he may never hit which made the Sox desperate.  I'm skeptical, but excited to see what he can do.

I don't think Castillo will necessarily amount to being a massive overpay, it's just that he seems redundant when we have Betts and could spend the money elsewhere. I liken the Castillo signing to the Suns drafting Ennis, signing Thomas AND Bledsoe while still having Dragic.

Things are starting to look bleak for Bryce Brentz.... ;D

« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

My understanding is that he's a decent outfielder with decent speed who is a decent hitter. So pretty much doing everything Ellsbury was doing, except not that well. But then again, maybe I'm wrong because I can't say I understand baseball all that well.

Is he that much different from someone like Betts, really? Wouldn't they have been better off with a placeholder year from Victorino, until they can sign someone that can play right and hit with power?

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

My understanding is that he's a decent outfielder with decent speed who is a decent hitter. So pretty much doing everything Ellsbury was doing, except not that well. But then again, maybe I'm wrong because I can't say I understand baseball all that well.

Is he that much different from someone like Betts, really? Wouldn't they have been better off with a placeholder year from Victorino, until they can sign someone that can play right and hit with power?

The reports coming out of Cuba on Castillo was that he was a GG caliber RF but he could play a good CF.  He has elite speed, probably the fastest guy on the team ( him or Betts )...

I can see Castillo hitting about .270 with 15 homers and 30 bags, they compare him to a Victorino in his prime years.  He played well in the small sample size in the bigs and he played well in the AFL before he hurt his thumb. 

I like the Castillo signing because they know that JBJ is not a major leaguer...you can't have a pitcher hitting in your line-up every night, even though he plays good defense....

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 03:37:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
If the Sox can get either Lester or Scherzer and then a decent no 2 starter, this would've been a great offseason.

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas

The reports coming out of Cuba on Castillo was that he was a GG caliber RF but he could play a good CF.  He has elite speed, probably the fastest guy on the team ( him or Betts )...

I can see Castillo hitting about .270 with 15 homers and 30 bags, they compare him to a Victorino in his prime years.  He played well in the small sample size in the bigs and he played well in the AFL before he hurt his thumb. 

I like the Castillo signing because they know that JBJ is not a major leaguer...you can't have a pitcher hitting in your line-up every night, even though he plays good defense....

I think JBJ's poor hitting surprised the team and forced them to act on Castillo.  If he does play to the projections you mentioned, he will be a bargain.  He certainly looks capable of that in his limited time so far.

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 03:48:52 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton

I think JBJ's poor hitting surprised the team and forced them to act on Castillo.  If he does play to the projections you mentioned, he will be a bargain.  He certainly looks capable of that in his limited time so far.

Getting Panda and Hanley is huge for him because it takes the pressure off him.  He can hit 7th or 8th and not be counted on as a middle of the order bat or table setter.  He can just play...

Still think they get Lester and trade for another pitcher after that.  The Sox have a ton of cash coming off the books next season and 30% of their every day line-up will be making league mini...

Henry is going to bite the bullet this year and spend around 200 million plus and then the payroll will fall back in line next season...

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 03:53:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Getting Panda and Hanley is huge for him because it takes the pressure off him.  He can hit 7th or 8th and not be counted on as a middle of the order bat or table setter.  He can just play...

Still think they get Lester and trade for another pitcher after that.  The Sox have a ton of cash coming off the books next season and 30% of their every day line-up will be making league mini...

Henry is going to bite the bullet this year and spend around 200 million plus and then the payroll will fall back in line next season...

And plus the free agent list for position players next offseason is pretty bad, so they needed to act now.