Author Topic: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction  (Read 88285 times)

Re: 2015 Redsox starting lineup prediction
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2014, 11:46:46 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Allen craig over victorino?

There is a reason craig was given up on.  He is an extra bat at best imo. And until he comes through with limited min, you dont start him especially over a special player like victorino

Owens has several above avg pitches. Its his slow curve that has opposing hitters scratching their head when its on. His change up is very good. He is going to get 3 more starts at pawtucket and is already 3-1. Imo unless he falls on his face he should get a chance to make the big club. He might even get a start in a few weeks. Im excited about this kid

Bucholz has a bum arm imo. You can only get so much milaege out of his arm/body and its near the end.  Trade him bc he is not going to be resigned after 2015. Shields would be an ok number 2 behind lester. Worse case i wouldnt mind bringing back masterson

Yes - Victorino will not be on this team next year, the Sox will pay some team to take him.  His body is breaking down big time.  Allen Craig is a stud, he is having a bad year but the guy is a legit middle of the order bat that is a proven run producer on a nice contract. 

No way Owens makes the rotation out of spring training, he isn't ready.  He needs to tighten up his command, still walks too many guys, hitters in the MLB will make him pay.  He is just a baby, I would like to see him get another 20 starts or so Pawtucket....

I believe Clay's contract doesn't expire until 2017?  I want no part of Masterson, he can't get lefties out.  The Sox will do something big, whether it's bringing back Lester or getting Hamels or packaging all the young players to get Stanton....should be a fun winter...

Victorino just not too long ago signed an extension. Craig was like a throw in for lackey.  Chances of craig being successul like he was in 2012-2013 are not too good. Imo he was given up upon for a reason. He has done little so far as a redsox

Owens might not make the start from the start but he is going to to come up at some pt.  He is one offseason away to really get it goimg. More strength would be a big step fwd.

Craig was not a throw in - He is a good hitter and will be next year.  He was given up because the Cardinals have one of the top outfield prospects in the game - Oscar Tavares and he needed time in the big leagues.

Victorino has one year left on his deal at 13 mil.  He will be on another roster....

Owen probably will be in the big leagues next year but it won't be in April. 

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54:52 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Lineup

3B - Betts - Kid is special.  He is like a less muscular more patient hitting Castillo. Awesome batspeed/power for his size 5'9/160 pounds.
2B - Pedrioa - Our 2nd baseman for a very long time to come
DH - Ortiz -  Heart and soul of the team. Hope he can play until 45
LF - Cespedes - It was all worth it to give up Lester for half a year
CF - Castillo - Expecting a 275 average hitter, 30 home runs, cannon of an arm
1B - Napoli - Its looking like a nightmare for any opposing pitchers to go through this lineup
RF - Victorino -  hopefully can be healthy moving fwd.  Gamer
SS - Boegarts - streaky right now.  Good power and fielder
C - Vazquez -  Needs to improve as a hitter but is a good catcher/calls a good game for his age

Starting rotation

- Lester. 90 percent he is going to be back and stay as a redsox for the long term
- De La Rosa
- Kelly
- Owens
- Ranaudo

Redsox weakspot is pitching help for next season.  One more ace calibre pitcher and a closer (Uehara is done imo). Bucholz needs to go/be traded and is at his last year of his contract . I don't think he will ever be the same again.   All eyes will be on Owens, who hasn't even played one major league game yet but is considered to have one of the nastiest curveballs of all of baseball.   De La Rosa also has potential to be a top three pitcher.

Prediction: Our offense is going to be awesome. If everything goes well with pitching and the youngsters overachieve, we will be contending for one of the wildcard spots.  Likely the team is going to need a legit #2  to really get anywhere.  Not many good starting pitchers will be available through the 2015 FA (Scherzer is going to get paid big, but not likely from the sox).  Through a trade or two is another option but if it doesn't involve anyone listed above. 

thoughts?

If you are expecting 30 homers from Castillo you are going to be disappointed.  He projects as a guy to hit 15 homers?  He doesn't have a cannon for an arm either, he profiles as a good defensive CF with an average major league arm.  I think he will be a good player but more in lines of what Brett Gardner is....

Owens is a nice prospect but his out pitch is his change-up, he has a great change up, some think it's the best in all of minor league baseball.  He will start the year in triple A though, he still needs to iron out his command ( much like Lester when he was that age ) and continue to develop his curve ball, which is a fringe major league pitch right now.  Owen is 6'7 and lanky, so an issue that he has is repeating his delivery, which will come in time. 

I think the Sox are going all in next year - Here is my line-up

1 - Bett 3B - only way he is not on this team next year is because they acquired Stanton and Betts is the center piece
2 - Pedroia - franchise 2nd baseman, will hoover around .300 and play GG defense
3- Ortiz - hoping he has one year left in him
4 - Cespedes - RF - a full year in Boston and hitting behind Ortiz should produce 30/100
5 - Napoli - 1B, hope he gets healthy and continues to drive in runs
6 - Craig - LF, get that foot healthy and get back to his .300 and 100 days
7 - Castillo - CF his Brett Gardner type of game will play really well in Boston and in this line-up
8- Xander - he will explode next year, he will play average defense and hit 25 homers
9 - Vazquez & Ross - you can have a hole in the line-up with this deep line-up...

They need to get an Ace, I think Lester is in play here and it's a good story:)

1 - Lester
2 - Clay
3 - Kelly
4 - Ruby
5 - Raunado

If the Sox don't get Lester, I can see James Shields here, he is not Lester but he is a good pitcher and he could help bridge the gap until all the kids are ready....

This team will compete for a division....
good calls and i agree with most of your thinking above, both of you. the only potential change i can see would be mookie at 3rd. the problem is the accuracy of his throws. the sox moved him off SS because of his lack of consistent accuracy in throws from there.

3rd base would be a challenge for him as well. the sox may be willing to live with his arm at 3rd, but i think they will try hard to fit him into CF, Cepedes in LF, Castillo in RF. Victorino serves as 4th outfielder.

OR...mookie becomes next year's Holt - the super sub and plays multiple positions.

as for craig, cripes, i have no idea how the sox will hand him ABs. DH 30 games. 1st 30 games. OF 40 games maybe?

EDIT: forgot pitching. look for Webster and Wright to be "6th starters" and long men.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
All I know is that as far as offense goes, Middlebrooks has got to go. I don't get why this guy has gotten as many chances as he has. They have so many OFs and the rest of the infield is pretty much locked so 3B is really the only place they can make an upgrade. They have to hope Napoli, Pedroia, and Bogaerts can have bounceback years and Ortiz somehow still hits 25 + homers.

Does anybody know what big FAs are available this winter?
ask and ye shall receive...this time:

Wilson Betemit
Alberto Callaspo
Eric Chavez
Jack Hannahan
Chase Headley
Casey McGehee
Donnie Murphy
Nick Punto - YES, he returns!
Aramis Ramirez
Pablo Sandoval
Ty Wigginton
Hanley Ramirez
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:55 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
All I know is that as far as offense goes, Middlebrooks has got to go. I don't get why this guy has gotten as many chances as he has. They have so many OFs and the rest of the infield is pretty much locked so 3B is really the only place they can make an upgrade. They have to hope Napoli, Pedroia, and Bogaerts can have bounceback years and Ortiz somehow still hits 25 + homers.

Does anybody know what big FAs are available this winter?
ask and ye shall receive...this time:

Wilson Betemit
Alberto Callaspo
Eric Chavez
Jack Hannahan
Chase Headley
Casey McGehee
Donnie Murphy
Nick Punto - YES, he returns!
Aramis Ramirez
Pablo Sandoval
Ty Wigginton
Hanley Ramirez

ugh - I think they will acquire a 3rd baseman via a trade or move Betts over there??  Man, I wish Adrian Beltre never got away :(

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:11 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Dream line up

Castillo
Pedroia
Ortiz
Carlos Stanton
Cespedes
Napoli
Hanley Ramirez
Bogaerts
Vasquez

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2014, 01:20:14 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Dream line up

Castillo
Pedroia
Ortiz
Carlos Stanton
Cespedes
Napoli
Bogaerts
Betts
Vasquez

Who's Carlos Stanton?

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
Dream line up

Castillo
Pedroia
Ortiz
Carlos Stanton
Cespedes
Napoli
Bogaerts
Betts
Vasquez

Who's Carlos Stanton?

I think he is talking about Giancarlo Stanton from the Marlins...

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2014, 02:44:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
Dream line up

Castillo
Pedroia
Ortiz
Carlos Stanton
Cespedes
Napoli
Bogaerts
Betts
Vasquez

Who's Carlos Stanton?

or else his brother.  ;)
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2014, 09:44:47 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I hope the Sox can jettison Middlebrooks and Workman. I also really hope they can acquire Stanton, though that would mean giving up some of the young guys—which I'm fine with, I just don't know which ones would be included in a deal. So, let's say, just as an example, that they include some combination of Bradley, Nava, Betts, Webster, Renaudo, and/or Owens, my dream lineup is:

1. Holt 3B
2. Pedroia 2B
3. Ortiz DH
4. Stanton RF
5. Cespedes LF
6. Castillo CF
7. Napoli 1B
8. Bogaerts SS
9. Vazquez C

P1 Lester
P2 Scherzer
P3 Buchholz
P4 Rubby de la Rosa
P5 Joe Kelly

I'm hoping they can somehow hang on to Betts and make him or Holt their super sub.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 10:04:32 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I hope the Sox can jettison Middlebrooks and Workman. I also really hope they can acquire Stanton, though that would mean giving up some of the young guys—which I'm fine with, I just don't know which ones would be included in a deal. So, let's say, just as an example, that they include some combination of Bradley, Nava, Betts, Webster, Renaudo, and/or Owens, my dream lineup is:

1. Holt 3B
2. Pedroia 2B
3. Ortiz DH
4. Stanton RF
5. Cespedes LF
6. Castillo CF
7. Napoli 1B
8. Bogaerts SS
9. Vazquez C

P1 Lester
P2 Scherzer
P3 Buchholz
P4 Rubby de la Rosa
P5 Joe Kelly

I'm hoping they can somehow hang on to Betts and make him or Holt their super sub.

I like how you have both Lester and Sherzer listed there and don't address it. :)

You're talking about a pair of guys heading towards the wrong side of 30 who'll collectively be commanding possibly upwards of 400 million over the lengths of their deals.

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 10:28:07 PM »

• Satch Sanders

1. Holt 3B
2. Pedroia 2B
3. Ortiz DH
4. Stanton RF
5. Cespedes LF
6. Castillo CF
7. Napoli 1B
8. Bogaerts SS
9. Vazquez C

P1 Lester
P2 Scherzer
P3 Buchholz
P4 Rubby de la Rosa
P5 Joe Kelly

I like how you have both Lester and Sherzer listed there and don't address it. :)

You're talking about a pair of guys heading towards the wrong side of 30 who'll collectively be commanding possibly upwards of 400 million over the lengths of their deals.

It's a dream scenario; I don't have to address reality.  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
Dream line up

Castillo
Pedroia
Ortiz
Carlos Stanton
Cespedes
Napoli
Bogaerts
Betts
Vasquez

Who's Carlos Stanton?

or else his brother.  ;)

Mmk

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
can't believe some of you guys don't have Betts on your list.  Holt over Betts?

Betts is on his way to win player of the week awards (or be top 3). His hitting has been great while playing solid defense.

Bat speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13TI4wiR0M

Defense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf5V_ml2StU

effort/speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li3wmVu_Nwg

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 11:23:29 PM »

• Satch Sanders
can't believe some of you guys don't have Betts on your list.  Holt over Betts?

Betts is on his way to win player of the week awards (or be top 3). His hitting has been great while playing solid defense.

Bat speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13TI4wiR0M

Defense
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf5V_ml2StU

effort/speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li3wmVu_Nwg

I'm guessing I might be one of the people you're talking about. I've got nothing against Betts, but he's also the most likely candidate to go to Miami in a trade for Stanton (if that were to happen). Anyway, I think some people here are undervaluing Holt. But I like Betts, and I'd love to keep him around if possible. I just don't know where he'd fit if we somehow managed to hold onto him while acquiring Stanton. He wouldn't start in the OF over Stanton or Cespedes, and maybe not over Castillo. And I don't know if he can play 3B, which is why I put Holt there and opted to make Betts my super sub.

Edit: Part of me would like to see the Sox hang on to all the young guys—Betts, Bogaerts, Vazquez, Holt, Nava, and Bradley—and see how they all pan out.

Also, that infield double was ridiculous (in a good way).

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2014, 11:49:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Holt is not bad. As a bottom of the order hitter or sub. His hitting has gotten worse and worse as the season drags on.   His ability to get on base in general has got worse

Betts has a better eye at the plate + bat speed to also hit it out of the park.  I do agree the best

position for him  to play is at the outfield. But he can also play the SS position