Author Topic: Rondo-Allen comparison  (Read 1502 times)

Rondo-Allen comparison
« on: September 26, 2018, 02:18:27 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I understand that it's been a long time since we had a serious rivalry with Lakers and that Rondo is not in green jersey for some time too, but I still cannot see the difference between Ray Allen joining LeBron in Heat and Rondo joining LeBron in LA. I just see the difference in not mentioning Rondo's move by any of those Allen haters.

Re: Rondo-Allen comparison
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:21:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Rondo was traded to the Mavs then played for 2-3 teams and then signed with the  lakers

Allen was FA and choose a lower offer to play for the rival Heat

Even if we value Allen's decision differently and you don't think he did something at least questionable there are more than obvious differences to the path both players took.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:25:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Context matters. The Heat team Ray Allen joined had just beaten us in a brutal 7 game series, led by one of Paul Pierce's most noteworthy rivals in LeBron James.

The Lakers team Rondo is joining has been irrelevant for a long time. Their roster is still nothing really to be afraid of, as far as I'm concerned. He also hasn't played for us for a long time, after we traded him.

So there's an obvious difference to me. Still disgusts me to see him in the purple and gold, but I'm not going to coming forward with gushes of vitriol towards Rondo like I probably did towards Ray.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 05:48:44 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If you don't see the difference between the two situations, then you either don't understand why people disliked Ray Allen's move, or you're being intentionally obtuse. Signing with the Lakers 3.5 years after being traded by the Celtics (and with the Celtics not giving a competing offer) is a lot different than signing (for less money) with the team that just beat you in game 7
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 05:56:14 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If you don't see the difference between the two situations, then you either don't understand why people disliked Ray Allen's move, or you're being intentionally obtuse. Signing with the Lakers 3.5 years after being traded by the Celtics (and with the Celtics not giving a competing offer) is a lot different than signing (for less money) with the team that just beat you in game 7

That's why I said ''even though, several years have passed...'', but some things can never be changed, no matter how manny years after.

1. He joined the Lakers, our bigest historic rivals.
2. He joined LeBron, one of our (his) biggest individual rivals which he openly disliked several times.
3. He (together with other guys) blame Allen mostly for joining LeBron (forget Wade, Bosh and the others).

Some things we just forget so easy.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 07:32:33 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
There is no comparison ... it's not like Rondo had the option of signing with the Celtics instead. And it's not like there's any chance his Lakers will meet the Celtics and all his old teammates (is it just Smart?) in the playoffs.

Still bitter about what Allen did.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 07:50:42 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

That's why I said ''even though, several years have passed...'', but some things can never be changed, no matter how manny years after.

2. He joined LeBron, one of our (his) biggest individual rivals which he openly disliked several times.
3. He (together with other guys) blame Allen mostly for joining LeBron (forget Wade, Bosh and the others).

There is no comparison.  Besides the number of years and teams in between, Rondo went to the Lakers because they offered him the most money.  He didn't voluntarily leave his teammates for a rival team for less money.  Rondo was traded by Ainge which makes the situations completely different.  How many of the current Celtics players did Rondo even play with? 

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 07:53:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

He joined a team that is not direct competitor
He joined a team in another division
He didn't dump the celtics to go there for a lower offer.

Allen going to the heat for less money which you keep ignoring helped the heat win the East and dethrone the celtics

The photo you posted is completely irrelevant. Unless James wears the green it has nothing to do with the fans.. It does reflectbad rather on Rondo but that is not the issue

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 08:32:44 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Again, you either don't understand why people disliked Ray Allen's move, or you're just being intentionally obtuse. Given how many different people have explained why they didn't like it, I'm leaning toward the latter.

Rondo didn't abandon us; Ray Allen did. Rondo didn't sign with the team that just knocked us (and him) out of the playoffs; Ray Allen did. Rondo didn't leave our offer of more money and a no-trade clause on the table to sign for less money; Ray Allen did. Both joined a rival to play with Lebron, but that's not why people were upset with Ray. If it were, then you should be bringing up Perk and Jeff Green, too, since them joining the Cavs years after we traded them is just like Rondo joining the Lakers now
I'm bitter.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 08:37:38 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I don't have the similar feel regarding the too.
We traded away Rondo during the rebuild, as we didn't want him anymore.
Ray was wanted and we were kind of contending at the time.
Big dif.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."