Author Topic: Embiid: “faked my way into NBA, taught myself using YouTube videos”  (Read 6616 times)

Re: Embiid: “faked my way into NBA, taught myself using YouTube videos”
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2018, 08:43:55 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
He should youtube "Boston Celtics" - specifically:

Al Horford.

Aaron Baynes.

Daniel Theis.

Robert Thomas.
Robert Thomas?  Maybe you should learn our players' names first.

Seriously though - good catch.

Something looked wrong about that list of four and I couldn't figure it out.

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I looked up "white people shooting"?

Is this suppose to be comedy? What would the reaction be if Adam Morrison said he googled black people dunking to learn to dunk? That's just weird
Oh for God's sake,  get over it.
Why? If the situation was reversed, would you say the same thing?

Embiid is a clown
No,  I would not say the same if the situation was reversed. It would be cringe worthy because, perhaps you've forgot, but white people enslaved brown people in this country for 400 years and like it or not, that still has an impact on things today.  That comment from a white person, due to black people's place in the history of this country as well as present place, would be ill advised.
You and other's comments seem rather out of touch and perhaps you need a history lesson.
All that aside, his comment is not inherently racist. The people in the video are "random" to him, since he doesn't know them and they were white. That is not a racist comment.

I'll preface this by saying i am not personally offended by any of this and am not losing any sleep. That being said if I wrote a public essay saying I wanted to learn math so I googled Chinese people doing math (a similar stereotype) I would expect to lose my job. Let's be realistic
Why would you get fired for saying a group is good at something and you tried to learn from them?

It's called stereotyping.

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Is this suppose to be comedy? What would the reaction be if Adam Morrison said he googled black people dunking to learn to dunk? That's just weird

Embiid is a clown
No,  I would not say the same if the situation was reversed. It would be cringe worthy because, perhaps you've forgot, but white people enslaved brown people in this country for 400 years and like it or not, that still has an impact on things today.  That comment from a white person, due to black people's place in the history of this country as well as present place, would be ill advised.
You and other's comments seem rather out of touch and perhaps you need a history lesson.
All that aside, his comment is not inherently racist. The people in the video are "random" to him, since he doesn't know them and they were white. That is not a racist comment.

I'll preface this by saying i am not personally offended by any of this and am not losing any sleep. That being said if I wrote a public essay saying I wanted to learn math so I googled Chinese people doing math (a similar stereotype) I would expect to lose my job. Let's be realistic
Why would you get fired for saying a group is good at something and you tried to learn from them?

First, you don't get fired for positive stereotyping.  Second, Asian-Americans performing at the top academically amongst racial groups is a fact.  Harvard is getting sued because their admissions policies discriminate against Asian-Americans.  Third, going on line to learn from Chinese people that are good at math means that you're trying to learn about their techniques, work habits, etc which is again a positive.  Finally going back to Embiid, I know the stereotype that white guys can't jump but I don't know of any stereotype that white guys are great shooters. 

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2018, 11:41:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

Embiid is a clown

First, you don't get fired for positive stereotyping.  Second, Asian-Americans performing at the top academically amongst racial groups is a fact.  Harvard is getting sued because their admissions policies discriminate against Asian-Americans.  Third, going on line to learn from Chinese people that are good at math means that you're trying to learn about their techniques, work habits, etc which is again a positive.  Finally going back to Embiid, I know the stereotype that white guys can't jump but I don't know of any stereotype that white guys are great shooters.

The stereotype is that Asian Americans are inherently better at math. If that is the case, it is a waste of time to Google Asian Americans and math unless you are tryIno to transform yourself into an Asian American because if you were already one you would be good at math based on your stereotyping.

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2018, 12:11:40 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Embiid is a clown

The stereotype is that Asian Americans are inherently better at math. If that is the case, it is a waste of time to Google Asian Americans and math unless you are tryIno to transform yourself into an Asian American because if you were already one you would be good at math based on your stereotyping.
Celticsclay didn't say Chinese Americans are inherently better at math and Embiid didn't say whites were inherently better at shooting.  Neither statement was racist or even offensive.  It is also ridiculous to apply American racial sensitivities to Embiid who was a 16 or 17 year old Cameroonian kid who was recently arrived in America. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:28:58 AM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2018, 01:07:22 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
He is not a kid.   He is a grown man getting paid  a lot of money to be a professional. He should grow up and stop being a clown.

He is trying to be funny. He is not funny . Anyone that believes he learned basketball on YouTube is ignorant and disrespects the real people that taught him the game.

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2018, 02:05:51 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
He is not a kid.   He is a grown man getting paid  a lot of money to be a professional. He should grow up and stop being a clown.

He is trying to be funny. He is not funny . Anyone that believes he learned basketball on YouTube is ignorant and disrespects the real people that taught him the game.
Actually he's telling his story.  He was born in Cameroon and didn't start playing basketball until he was 15.  Someone gave him a video tape of big men including Hakeem which he watched daily.  Mimicking those big men was how he learned the game.  Then he came over to the U.S at 16 and by his own words sucked.  His 1st high school season he didn't play much and then he had a breakout senior season.  His Youtube reference was specifically about learning how to shoot and proper shooting form.  So he had a bit of high school coaching, some mentoring from Luc Mbah Moute and less than year at Kansas under Coach Self before he got to the Sixers. 

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2018, 02:35:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Embiid is a clown

Do you really believe you couldn't get fired from a job for "positive stereotyping"? That's the the most insane take I have seen on these boards in my ten years here. Wow

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2018, 06:21:49 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Embiid is a clown

Do you really believe you couldn't get fired from a job for "positive stereotyping"? That's the the most insane take I have seen on these boards in my ten years here. Wow

He's obviously never heard of Jimmy the Greek or what he said that led to his dismissal.

Tazz is clearly biased on anything related to the Sixers, so there's no point even bother reasoning with him.

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2018, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Embiid is a clown

He's obviously never heard of Jimmy the Greek or what he said that led to his dismissal.

Tazz is clearly biased on anything related to the Sixers, so there's no point even bother reasoning with him.

Yeah. I mean my first job 20 years ago they had grainy videos of people explaining why stereotypes, even positive, were not appropriate in the workplace. The example they used was actually a white guy assuming a black guy was good at basketball and should join his fun league when they were stocking shelves in the supermarket. I remember it because it was funny in 1999 when I was 16. For someone not to understand this concept in 2018 as an adult is both scary and hilarious to me. I also hope  tazz doesn't actually carry this opinion into their workplace in real life because it would not end well to throw around "positive" stereotypes

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
if you breakdown the embiid tweet it really is not positive. He said he sucked at basketball and decided to google white people shooting three pointers. Lets unpack that.

If he sucks and wants to get better why not just google techniques for playing basketball?

The logical conclusion from his tweet is he sucked at basketball so the only way to make a career of it is to google other people who suck at basketball but managed to make a career of it. So he came up in his mind a group (white people) that in his mind suck at basketball, but still managed to make a career of it (three point shooting) and that is how he faked his way into the NBA.

The guy should really google how to be a comedian. He really sucks at comedy.