Author Topic: Walt “Clyde” Frazier: “ Durant gets an asterisk for joining the Warriors”  (Read 2783 times)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Apparently, LeBron didn't receive an asterisk for his 2 titles and finals MVPs after joining Rileys and Wades (and Boshes) team. Wade already proved he is a finals MVP without LeBron.
Strange.
I guess the reason is cause he lost to talent wise inferior Dallas squad in 2011.
Maybe if KD lost to a talent wise inferior Cleveland team in his first GSW year, his titles and MVPs would be more approved in general.
I think the difference is pretty apparent. The team KD joined had just won over 70 games, and were beaten by LeBron and Kyrie playing out of their skins. LeBron and Bosh joined a team that didn't manage 50 wins and got bounced in the first round by us.

Neither is admirable in my book, but they're quite distinct imo

I'd say that it's distinct to fans but to pro basketball players and coaches it's probably not. I say this because they have a confidence and a more informed opinion on the outcome of a team up. LeBron was counting titles before he played a game for the Heat if we all recall. When he went to Heat he thought is was a guarantee so he should be judged on that being his motive the same way KD was.

I agree that since LeBron lost year one and couldn't get more than two that the narrative changed but we have to go back to the moment of that decision.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Apparently, LeBron didn't receive an asterisk for his 2 titles and finals MVPs after joining Rileys and Wades (and Boshes) team. Wade already proved he is a finals MVP without LeBron.
Strange.
I guess the reason is cause he lost to talent wise inferior Dallas squad in 2011.
Maybe if KD lost to a talent wise inferior Cleveland team in his first GSW year, his titles and MVPs would be more approved in general.
I think the difference is pretty apparent. The team KD joined had just won over 70 games, and were beaten by LeBron and Kyrie playing out of their skins. LeBron and Bosh joined a team that didn't manage 50 wins and got bounced in the first round by us.

I'd say that it's distinct to fans but to pro basketball players and coaches it's probably not. I say this because they have a confidence and a more informed opinion on the outcome of a team up. LeBron was counting titles before he played a game for the Heat if we all recall. When he went to Heat he thought is was a guarantee so he should be judged on that being his motive the same way KD was.

I agree that since LeBron lost year one and couldn't get more than two that the narrative changed but we have to go back to the moment of that decision.
That is clearly not correct.  KD was called out by plenty of his fellow basketball players.  McCollum just did it recently when he called KD's decision soft.  KD hopped on the wave of an already championship caliber team.  That's not an alpha dog move but KD really isn't an alpha dog.  Lebron on the other hand took charge of his career and went against the system to form his super team and it was clearly Lebron's team not Wade's.   That's an alpha dog move. 

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Strange.

That is clearly not correct.  KD was called out by plenty of his fellow basketball players.  McCollum just did it recently when he called KD's decision soft.  KD hopped on the wave of an already championship caliber team.  That's not an alpha dog move but KD really isn't an alpha dog.  Lebron on the other hand took charge of his career and went against the system to form his super team and it was clearly Lebron's team not Wade's.   That's an alpha dog move.

To add to this, the Warriors broke the record for most wins in a regular season and Durant left the team that had the Warriors on the ropes before collapsing that year. Durant to me had that if you can’t beat them join them mentality.

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I would have respected Durant's game much more had he come to the Celtics and made it his dynasty. Instead he joined an already made team, one that didnt really need him. To me this is the sign of a weaker player. I don't really see this with Lebron as much since he was always far and away the best player on his teams.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Strange.

To add to this, the Warriors broke the record for most wins in a regular season and Durant left the team that had the Warriors on the ropes before collapsing that year. Durant to me had that if you can’t beat them join them mentality.
The motive of an easy win is still clearly the same. LeBron wasn't trying to build and fight with Cavs when he had roster control. He joined two top ten players.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:03:42 PM by Csfan1984 »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
no asterisk