Author Topic: Walt “Clyde” Frazier: “ Durant gets an asterisk for joining the Warriors”  (Read 2787 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TPs to Clyde for speaking the truth in these NBA days of every player kissing every other player’s ass.

It’s rare that a player is candid and criticizes other players.

One guy whom I admire and who was one of the very few who criticized Ray Allen is Jarrett Jack. He had the courage to speak his mind and called Allen a traitor.

This on Clyde on Durant:

Ian Begley
ESPN Staff Writer

New York Knicks legend Clyde Frazier said Wednesday on SiriusXM NBA Radio that he'd give Kevin Durant an asterisk on a list of all-time great players because of his success with the Golden State Warriors.

"Durant, I mean, as great a player as he is, I would still hold back because, man, he joined a team that really didn't need him. You know what I mean?" said Frazier, a television analyst for Knicks games on MSG Network. "He's right there with LeBron [James], probably will surpass LeBron as the best player in the game soon. But for him doing that, I still don't give him the full credit that he probably would have deserved if he stayed with [the Oklahoma City Thunder] and won a title with that team.

Clyde went on to talk about current players and their buddy-buddy cuteness vs how he and many players of his generation felt about wanting to beat other players rather than join them.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24525025/clyde-frazier-says-kevin-durant-gets-asterisk-joining-golden-state-warriors 

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Awesome! Love to see this, even from a Knick legend :P
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No asterisk from me.

Don't care what others think.

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No asterisk just less respect

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Or more like the 73-9 Warriors couldn't beat Kyrie Irving's Cavs in 2016 and even had to blow a 3-1 series lead in the finals.

What did they do? They went on and signed another superstar player whose team blew a 3-1 series lead to the Warriors.

I still hated Durant because it came down between Boston or Golden State, and he chose the latter. And he had Al Horford to chip in the sales pitch with him when he was a free agent.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I still don't give him the full credit that he probably would have deserved if he stayed with [the Oklahoma City Thunder] and won a title with that team.

(quote from the article)

With hindsight, Durant went from a situation that was sapping his self-confidence, to one that boosts it. IMO he made the right choice.

Sure, it would have been great if he could provide to OKC the kind of leadership MJ offered to the Bulls, but not every player has this in him.

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I still don't give him the full credit that he probably would have deserved if he stayed with [the Oklahoma City Thunder] and won a title with that team.

(quote from the article)

With hindsight, Durant went from a situation that was sapping his self-confidence, to one that boosts it. IMO he made the right choice.

Sure, it would have been great if he could provide to OKC the kind of leadership MJ offered to the Bulls, but not every player has this in him.
I am on the same boat.
If any person, friend, CBlogger or family member got a better job - I'd generally be happy or at least OK with it. I don't see the reason why I wouldn't feel the same about KD.

Why doesn't Clyde wear a wifebeater shirt and a skirt?
Cause he likes his suits better.
That's fine with me too.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Durant was never going to be considered among the greatest players ever because he was always going to be second fiddle to Lebron.  It didn't matter what he did, Lebron will always be considered the better historical player.  Thus, it really makes no difference if you asterisk Durant's titles, because even if he gets more than Lebron, Lebron will still historically be better. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:40:36 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's a tough one because players always get to much credit for winning championships and that will help him. Which I agree does deserve an asterisk! But at the same time it has allowed KD to show more of his game. I had him as a great scorer but he has shown me more over the past 2 years. Not sure where he will end up on the all time greats list, not sure I have him on that at this point but he could get there.

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
What an idiotic hot take by Frazier.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Apparently, LeBron didn't receive an asterisk for his 2 titles and finals MVPs after joining Rileys and Wades (and Boshes) team. Wade already proved he is a finals MVP without LeBron.
Strange.
I guess the reason is cause he lost to talent wise inferior Dallas squad in 2011.
Maybe if KD lost to a talent wise inferior Cleveland team in his first GSW year, his titles and MVPs would be more approved in general.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
If the Knicks are hoping KD signs with them next summer, someone should tell Frazier this is not the best way to recruit him.

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Love the honesty from Walt. Glad to see others calling Durant out as well.  ;D

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Apparently, LeBron didn't receive an asterisk for his 2 titles and finals MVPs after joining Rileys and Wades (and Boshes) team. Wade already proved he is a finals MVP without LeBron.
Strange.
I guess the reason is cause he lost to talent wise inferior Dallas squad in 2011.
Maybe if KD lost to a talent wise inferior Cleveland team in his first GSW year, his titles and MVPs would be more approved in general.
I think the difference is pretty apparent. The team KD joined had just won over 70 games, and were beaten by LeBron and Kyrie playing out of their skins. LeBron and Bosh joined a team that didn't manage 50 wins and got bounced in the first round by us.

Neither is admirable in my book, but they're quite distinct imo
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I hate listening to Clyde as an announcer but so glad he said this about Durant.  Durant will always be a bum, no matter how much he wins.  He's a bum.