Author Topic: How to get max (or near max) cap room next season  (Read 2784 times)

Re: How to get max (or near max) cap room next season
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2022, 08:22:22 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Celtics can’t trade for Thompson. You can’t re-acquire a player the year after you trade him.

When you did the $40M math, did you count the cap holds for open roster spots?

On the basketball side, I am not on team dump-smart - but for those who are, have a look at Davion’s shooting and assist splits. Worse than Smart’s.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 08:27:51 AM by Sophomore »

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 08:39:52 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All this to attempt to sign a guy whose team has not been over .500 since 2017-18, who has never been on a 50 win team and whose scoring, efficiency and shooting have seemingly taken a massive step back this year?

I never felt Beal was the right guy to add to the Jays. Lots of people have focused on his high scoring on bad teams and friendship with Tatum as something that means he would be great here.

I don't see it. He is another guy that has to dominate the ball and can't shoot above average from three. How does that help this team?

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 09:24:09 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
All this to attempt to sign a guy whose team has not been over .500 since 2017-18, who has never been on a 50 win team and whose scoring, efficiency and shooting have seemingly taken a massive step back this year?

I never felt Beal was the right guy to add to the Jays. Lots of people have focused on his high scoring on bad teams and friendship with Tatum as something that means he would be great here.

I don't see it. He is another guy that has to dominate the ball and can't shoot above average from three. How does that help this team?

Yes the fit with the Jays isn't good so we would have probably to trade Brown (even if I would 100% prefer to keep him (like Smart).
But it may be the only way to retouch biggly our team

And honestly you take only the negative aspects of Beal... Not saying he is still one of the better scorer of the league, that he is still in his prime for a few years and that it could be the only way to build a big 3(I prefer a 100 times Beal than Harden in next FA). You could say the same thing about Lavine until this year or about Booker 2 years ago.
He led one of the worst NBA team to be borderline PO team and is still the leader of a possible PO team this year. And even a friendship beetwin 2 All Stars isn't a 0 factor.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 10:14:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
All those deals feel like over pays. I'd consider the Cavs deal if a 2nd rounder was also added.

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 10:26:43 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Yes the fit with the Jays isn't good so we would have probably to trade Brown (even if I would 100% prefer to keep him (like Smart).
But it may be the only way to retouch biggly our team

And honestly you take only the negative aspects of Beal... Not saying he is still one of the better scorer of the league, that he is still in his prime for a few years and that it could be the only way to build a big 3(I prefer a 100 times Beal than Harden in next FA). You could say the same thing about Lavine until this year or about Booker 2 years ago.
He led one of the worst NBA team to be borderline PO team and is still the leader of a possible PO team this year. And even a friendship beetwin 2 All Stars isn't a 0 factor.

I think the fit is okay but not great. You still have 3 stars to build a strong team around and it is a big step forward so I would happily do it.

Even if you need to make a change to take that next step into a title contender you can trade one of those 3 guys. Most likely Jaylen Brown in this situation. So you trade Jaylen for a star who does more without the ball. Now you have a new Big 3 of Tatum, Beal and new star. And you get to title contention that way.

Beal is a major step towards title contention. If he is available while keeping Jaylen & Tatum, you do it.

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 10:37:13 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
All those deals feel like over pays. I'd consider the Cavs deal if a 2nd rounder was also added.

I don't think it is anymore to be in the DA mood to win all the trades with A+ grades. It is about putting our team in the best way to win from next year.

Again parting with Brown and Smart would be sad and I love this two players. But is there a way to keep them and improve our team next year ? Hoping Nesmith or Langford or PP become viable titularies doesn't seem logical. Jays+Beal don't seem to fit... So I think it is unfortunately salary wise the only way.
Last year decisions made most of us think that the goal was 2022 FA. And that would probably lead to the Beal stuff.

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I see no realistic way to sign Beal in free agency without a sign and trade and the sign and trade probably includes moving Brown with either Smart or Richardson.

If that is true, I think the team is taking a step back not forward. Brown and Smart or Brown and Richardson is better than Beal alone. And Beal would need to be given a 4 year, $170+ million contract hurting the team's salary flexibility

I don't care how close Beal and Tatum are, attaining him via next year's free agency will hurt the team in the long run. And I don't see Washington moving Beal here for the smorgasbord of players and picks the C's would need to send them at the deadline in order to keep Brown.

To me, Beal is the wrong guy to target.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2022, 07:59:01 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Beal-Brown-Tatum

It's kind of like a monster version of the Bulls team with Rondo, Wade and Jimmy Butler. Didn't those Rondo Bulls go toe to toe with the peak IT Celts?

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 01:47:46 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Celtics can’t trade for Thompson. You can’t re-acquire a player the year after you trade him.

When you did the $40M math, did you count the cap holds for open roster spots?

On the basketball side, I am not on team dump-smart - but for those who are, have a look at Davion’s shooting and assist splits. Worse than Smart’s.

Oh dang was not aware.  In either case you could just sub in Bagley in place of Thompson.  He's on a similar expiring deal.

You are right, i may be missing some cap holds.  either way the C's should still be close to 35 mill in cap space. 

Davion's definitely not an offensive weapon (tho i think he has potential to be a better finisher than Smart), but if this team can do the improbable and sign Beal, i think a point guard like Davion would be a solid fit, providing he can become at least average at hitting catch-and-shoot threes.