Poll

Do you use proper grammar on casual websites? (ex. CelticsBlog, Facebook)

Yes
22 (78.6%)
No
6 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Do you use proper grammar on casual websites?  (Read 14047 times)

Re: Do you use proper grammar on casual websites?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I write, give or take, at least fifteen-hundred words a day, and most of it has to be in "PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH." The stuff that doesn't still has to be legible and easily understood. Correctly spelled things are easier to read

Suffice it to say, I write quickly, and since I don't have the luxury of using abbreviations or text-by-phonetics spelling, I write properly as a default.

Which isn't to say that my grammar is immaculate.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I type like I talk for the most part. My grammar changes a little depending on who I'm speaking to. When in Rome do as the Romans type of thing. The slang typing thing also annoys me a little, only when it looks like it takes more effort than typing regularly.

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I try to whenever more than one person will see it.

This^.

I think it's basic respect for your audience.

When someone doesn't put the minuscule effort needed to use at least semi-proper punctuation and grammar in their blog posts, it gives the impression that they could give a crap about those who are trying to read it.

I understand that for some folks, English is a second language and they may have legitimate trouble.  But some folks clearly avoid grammar and punctuation purposefully.   I can only suppose they do so so that their text looks 'cool'?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 01:57:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
"D in English?  That's unpossible!"

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 01:59:48 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584

This^.

When someone doesn't put the minuscule effort needed to use at least semi-proper punctuation and grammar in their blog posts, it gives the impression that they could give a crap about those who are trying to read it.

I understand that for some folks, English is a second language and they may have legitimate trouble.  But some folks clearly avoid grammar and punctuation purposefully.   I can only suppose they do so so that their text looks 'cool'?
When I see judgemental statements like these, it makes me want to correct your grammar! 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 02:03:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

This^.

I think for some people that way of typing is easier than doing things 'properly.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 02:10:35 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

This^.

When I see judgemental statements like these, it makes me want to correct your grammar!

Technically, the only 'judgement' I offered there is my observation that "it gives the impression".

You may offer the judgement that such writing does NOT give the same impression.  And that's fair.

Would you agree or disagree that a writing style is going to deliver some sort of impression?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 02:19:43 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson

This^.

Technically, the only 'judgement' I offered there is my observation that "it gives the impression".

You may offer the judgement that such writing does NOT give the same impression.  And that's fair.

Would you agree or disagree that a writing style is going to deliver some sort of impression?
I  misunderstood your answer to mean anyone who had mistakes didn't care or were trying to be "cool".  I was clearly wrong, and I apologize.  I not only write too quickly, sometimes I read too quickly and jump to conclusions.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

This^.

I  misunderstood your answer to mean anyone who had mistakes didn't care or were trying to be "cool".  I was clearly wrong, and I apologize.  I not only write to quickly, sometimes I read too quickly and jump to conclusions.

LOL - we all do that.

NP, tb18.

(How is THAT for 'grammer'?)

:-D

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 02:41:39 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson

This^.

I  misunderstood your answer to mean anyone who had mistakes didn't care or were trying to be "cool".  I was clearly wrong, and I apologize.  I not only write too quickly, sometimes I read too quickly and jump to conclusions.

LOL - we all do that.

NP, tb18.

(How is THAT for 'grammer'?)

:-D
Concise, understood, and appreciated!   :-[
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:55:34 PM by thirstyboots18 »
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I try to use proper grammar as much as possible, and will often edit a post if it comes out wrong the first time. 

I don't care too much about other people's grammar, as long as I can understand them.  But, please be aware that if you're apostrophizing plural words you are hurting my soul.

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 02:54:56 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
I try to use proper grammar as much as possible, and will often edit a post if it comes out wrong the first time. 

I don't care too much about other people's grammar, as long as I can understand them.  But, please be aware that if you're apostrophizing plural words you are hurting my soul.

TP
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 03:35:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I write to be understood--not as well as an English major but understandable.

what drives me nuts are the people that like to 'talk street'.  I don't even bother reading it.  I just make the leap that anyone who can't put the time into writing basic English isn't putting the time into anything I want to read. 

I know there's a few posters who insist on writing that way and think it's cool/acceptable and I've found it's a waste of time to suggest otherwise to them

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

If there is a dog, and it belongs to a family named Smith, its "the Smiths' dog", right?

I mean..RIGHT??

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »

Offline FatKidsDad

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114

If there is a dog, and it belongs to a family named Smith, its "the Smiths' dog", right?

I mean..RIGHT??

Exactly!!
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.