Author Topic: Tech Help!!! (trying to make website)  (Read 3332 times)

Tech Help!!! (trying to make website)
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:08:33 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I am a school teacher who wants to create a cheap website for my classroom. Nothing professional looking, just supply lists, what's happening, a few education links, etc. So I went to Godaddy and bought a domain name for a year for $1.

So now I know I've got to find a free or very cheap web hosting service and then create my web page. Both of these are my problem because I don't quite know what I'm doing or where to look. I have took a class on Microsoft Word (2003) and know how to create a web-page from that. I don't know if that can used on a hosting service?

Anyways, any help will be appreciated.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

Re: Tech Help!!! (trying to make website)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:11:12 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
wish i could help you there chief, i'm sure someone here will be able to sort you out.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:29:42 AM »

Offline seeingreen34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 7
I don't know about making a webpage from scratch or of any free web hosting services but I suggest trying Google sites. It's free with a Google account and you don't need to know html or anything. Here's the link. https://sites.google.com/ There are example sites down the bottom. It looks to be able to do what you want to do with your site.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Well I got it to work. I found a free hosting site at http://www.officelive.com/?xid=727EA56B-8FCC-4127-9629-BA312C349539&WT.srch=1. They excepted my Go Daddy domain name and after about a hour of trying to figure out how to point one to the other, I was good. Because it was Microsoft, I was fairly familiar with most things when designing the site. TP's to Maestro and Seeing Green for trying to help.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 11:53:21 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
ur best bet would be to PM the great one, bob day.  that guy knows everything!

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:16:05 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
ur best bet would be to PM the great one, bob day.  that guy knows everything!
Sort of like the Wizard of Oz, huh? LOL!

Chief, if still need some help configuring that domain, email me at webmaster@celticsblog.com . Basically you just need nameservers and their IP addresses from Live Office. That info goes in the Domain Manager for your domain at GoDaddy. If Live Office doesn't support domain names we can find you another spot on the web that does if you would like.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
If you don't mind putting a little investment in, you can go buy Adobe Dreamweaver to make your website nice and pretty for minimal cost.  It's pretty easy to pick up on, and has lots of easy to use features.  However, since this is just for a classroom exercise, Word could be your best bet (and your best shot to get the kids designing stuff too).  Hope this helps.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com