Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 413043 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1350 on: April 21, 2019, 10:53:33 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Bran is going to go back in time, stop the execution of Ned Stark, and put him on the Iron Throne. 

Best ending ever.

The best ending ever would be the Night King getting held off at Winterfell, playing his trump card by raising all the dead Starks in the vaults, they open the gate to let him in and say, "the North kneels to no one" and cut him to shreds while heavy metal music plays. Ghost helps.

Rising the dead Starks is almost certainly going to happen.  They don't focus on the crypts in the opener for no reason. 

We gonna have Zombie Eddard fighting Jon Snow?

It's a thing I'm on the fence about. Just fulfilling Ned's "next time we meet I'll tell you about your mother" from S1, and all the hints of a dragon (Targaryen) in the crypts (think most of that was book-only) might be enough reason.

But having a bunch of famous corpses down there is a Chekov's gun for sure. Don't know if there's any kind of coffin they're in but the books went to some length to mention the hot springs that keep the ground warm.

Yeah, I didn’t count, but they must have said that the crypts were the safest place in Winterfell at least five times. Which means they almost certainly are not.

« Reply #1351 on: April 21, 2019, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Bran is going to go back in time, stop the execution of Ned Stark, and put him on the Iron Throne. 

Best ending ever.

The best ending ever would be the Night King getting held off at Winterfell, playing his trump card by raising all the dead Starks in the vaults, they open the gate to let him in and say, "the North kneels to no one" and cut him to shreds while heavy metal music plays. Ghost helps.

Rising the dead Starks is almost certainly going to happen.  They don't focus on the crypts in the opener for no reason. 

It's a thing I'm on the fence about. Just fulfilling Ned's "next time we meet I'll tell you about your mother" from S1, and all the hints of a dragon (Targaryen) in the crypts (think most of that was book-only) might be enough reason.

But having a bunch of famous corpses down there is a Chekov's gun for sure. Don't know if there's any kind of coffin they're in but the books went to some length to mention the hot springs that keep the ground warm.

Yeah, I didn’t count, but they must have said that the crypts were the safest place in Winterfell at least five times. Which means they almost certainly are not.

Oh yeah they hammered it home so much it's very very obvious they aren't gonna be very safe at all.

The only doubt I have now is whether it'll be famous corpses or the off chance it's tunneling wights or some other curveball. But the crypts are not gonna be a good place to be. Poor Sam right in the thick of it with the Walkers again.

« Reply #1352 on: April 21, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Best ending ever.

Oh yeah they hammered it home so much it's very very obvious they aren't gonna be very safe at all.

The only doubt I have now is whether it'll be famous corpses or the off chance it's tunneling wights or some other curveball. But the crypts are not gonna be a good place to be. Poor Sam right in the thick of it with the Walkers again.
Dany sending Tyrion to the crypts guaranteed it. 

« Reply #1353 on: April 21, 2019, 11:47:55 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
So a couple days ago I went back and watched the old episode where Dany has a bunch of Mysterious Visions (last ep of Season 2). The visions start with Dany in the Iron Throne room and it's destroyed and snowing. She turns away from the iron throne, then suddenly is crossing North of the Wall. She walks a short way then enters a Dothraki tent to see Drogo and her never-born son. Originally it read as the visions being temptations she had to reject to be with her dragons, but now I think it's a foreshadowing of her death.

Based on her reaction to Jon's identity and her history I think she's gonna to a semi-heel turn, probably screw up something important by fighting with Jon. She'll have a chance to claim the Iron Throne but will spurn it to go far north, like to pursue the Night King or eliminate where ever he came from. Either way it'll be a suicide mission for her and Drogon (they already made a point that the dragons suffer in the cold). Just a thought about where she might be headed.

« Reply #1354 on: April 22, 2019, 03:50:55 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
IMO Arya and Gendry will take the throne.

Jon Snow is idealistic and will have to die (again) to achieve his goals. He is a classic Christ-like figure and does not belong in the world that he will save.

Dany will make some sort of mistake which will be her undoing. She might possibly prove to be unstable like her father. Or her distrust of others will cost her. She represents magic and dragons, and I think she too will not inherit the world she is creating.

Cersei won't win because she is pure evil.

Sansa has a chance. Tyrion has an outside shot. He is the wisest and most stable of all the characters.

But Arya and Gendry I think make the most sense from a writing standpoint. George Martin clearly loves the character, and so does everyone else. She is cunning and violent enough to survive the coming war and yet she has enough of a moral compass that she would make for a fine leader.

And now she might be carrying the former King's grandson.

Dendry has a royal pedigree and as good a claim as anyone to the throne - especially with the backing of an empowered Arya Stark. He also makes a fine counterbalance to Arya's personality. I think the other Starks will die and she will inherit the North. She then uses Dendry's heritage to claim the throne. Their marriage and baby unites the South and North, and everyone lives happily ever after.

« Reply #1355 on: April 22, 2019, 06:56:56 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Jon Snow is idealistic and will have to die (again) to achieve his goals. He is a classic Christ-like figure and does not belong in the world that he will save.

Dany will make some sort of mistake which will be her undoing. She might possibly prove to be unstable like her father. Or her distrust of others will cost her. She represents magic and dragons, and I think she too will not inherit the world she is creating.

Sansa has a chance. Tyrion has an outside shot. He is the wisest and most stable of all the characters.

But Arya and Gendry I think make the most sense from a writing standpoint. George Martin clearly loves the character, and so does everyone else. She is cunning and violent enough to survive the coming war and yet she has enough of a moral compass that she would make for a fine leader.

Dendry has a royal pedigree and as good a claim as anyone to the throne - especially with the backing of an empowered Arya Stark. He also makes a fine counterbalance to Arya's personality. I think the other Starks will die and she will inherit the North. She then uses Dendry's heritage to claim the throne. Their marriage and baby unites the South and North, and everyone lives happily ever after.
Tyrion is not wise.  Cersei played him like a fiddle.  The Masters played him.  A wise man knows when to keep his mouth shut but Tyrion likes to hear the sound of his voice too much. 

Dendry and Arya would make terrible rulers.  They've showed no leadership ability or desire to lead. 

« Reply #1356 on: April 22, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
So a couple days ago I went back and watched the old episode where Dany has a bunch of Mysterious Visions (last ep of Season 2). The visions start with Dany in the Iron Throne room and it's destroyed and snowing. She turns away from the iron throne, then suddenly is crossing North of the Wall. She walks a short way then enters a Dothraki tent to see Drogo and her never-born son. Originally it read as the visions being temptations she had to reject to be with her dragons, but now I think it's a foreshadowing of her death.

Based on her reaction to Jon's identity and her history I think she's gonna to a semi-heel turn, probably screw up something important by fighting with Jon. She'll have a chance to claim the Iron Throne but will spurn it to go far north, like to pursue the Night King or eliminate where ever he came from. Either way it'll be a suicide mission for her and Drogon (they already made a point that the dragons suffer in the cold). Just a thought about where she might be headed.
She already had a chance to take the Iron Throne and already spurred it to go north.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1357 on: April 22, 2019, 08:57:56 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Tyrion is not wise.  Cersei played him like a fiddle.  The Masters played him.  A wise man knows when to keep his mouth shut but Tyrion likes to hear the sound of his voice too much. 

Dendry and Arya would make terrible rulers.  They've showed no leadership ability or desire to lead.

Tyrion has regressed badly the past few seasons; bunch of bad decisions, some cynical and perhaps weak (slavers), some too soft-hearted (believing Cersei could sacrifice for the common good).

That said, remember Jorah's speech, about everyone making mistakes? I wonder if he's due for some redemption.

« Reply #1358 on: April 22, 2019, 09:21:45 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Tyrion has regressed badly the past few seasons; bunch of bad decisions, some cynical and perhaps weak (slavers), some too soft-hearted (believing Cersei could sacrifice for the common good).

That said, remember Jorah's speech, about everyone making mistakes? I wonder if he's due for some redemption.
I don't know that he really believed in Cersei so much as he believed in Jamie.  If Jamie wasn't so gung ho, I don't think Tyrion would have believed Cersei. 

And he really didn't mess up all that much with the slavers because at the end of the day, he knew his side had superior forces and that the odds of the slavers ever actually giving up (without being decimated) was almost zero.  And the reality is that the betrayal actually worked out much greater in Dany's favor as it got her the ships she needed to sail to the Seven Kingdoms and it ended the slavers without a long drawn out war where her forces would have been weakened.  Now the show didn't portray Tyrion this way because they wanted to make him seem weaker and it added tension, but that is how I see it i.e. you take the long shot for a peaceful resolution, but know full well it probably won't happen, and prepare for the upcoming battle.

« Reply #1359 on: April 22, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

She already had a chance to take the Iron Throne and already spurred it to go north.

Sort of, but the throne room wasn't destroyed, and she went past the Wall before she did that, so the sequence and details don't line up. I suppose you could argue going past the Wall to save him was the moment of spurning it though and the destruction was symbolic of the ruin taking the throne would bring her. In which case she's gonna have a real bad day next ep.

Who do y'all think is getting it next week?

Brienne and Theon for sure I'd say. Grey Worm also right up at the top. Pod seems both well liked and disposable enough that I think he's gone. Jorah seems likely, probably defending Lyanna after their scene. Very likely at least 2 of Beric/Tormund/Edd.  Probably Bran unless they plunk him on a dragon and try to draw away the Night King.  Sam's gonna have another shot to defend Gilly/baby Sam but I feel like either he or they go, probably at least Gilly (bonus pts if Craster's last son winds up the way the rest of them did). Likewise on the fence for Tyrion. Other characters like Varys and Missandei don't seem to have much of a story left, but it could mean they have something important to do later on.

On the other side, Jaime and the Hound seem likely to live to get their siblings.  Jon and Dany's conflict has to get worse before it resolves and they've got dragons so probably both of them; if anyone goes it's Dany though. Sansa seems like a survivor.  And I think Davos has one more big morality speech in him, though if it happens this episode I think he flips to definitely dead.  Arya and Gendry probably get out - reminding the audience who his dad is seems like it'll be important later. I think Arya's the more vulnerable one to be honest. Lyanna Mormont is super popular, they're reluctant to kill a kid character, and she'll give a recognizable face to the future of the North at the end, so she'll probably figure something out.

Wouldn't be shocked if Bronn shows up last second and saves either Jaime or Tyrion. He may die too but I hope not. Melisandre is probably not coming back til Kings' Landing but could conceivably show up here.  Then whoever else I'm forgetting, they're totally dead.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:53:14 AM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #1360 on: April 22, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I believe all of the Stark's make it out of the battle alive.  The only caveat would be if either Bran or Jon has to die to kill the Night King.  I also believe Jamie will be the one to kill Cersei, so I think he makes it out alive.  No one else is guaranteed, though I'd be fairly surprised if Sam, Gendry, Clegane, and Davos don't make it through.  And obviously others will survive, just not as clear.

« Reply #1361 on: April 22, 2019, 11:05:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
I believe all of the Stark's make it out of the battle alive.  The only caveat would be if either Bran or Jon has to die to kill the Night King.  I also believe Jamie will be the one to kill Cersei, so I think he makes it out alive.  No one else is guaranteed, though I'd be fairly surprised if Sam, Gendry, Clegane, and Davos don't make it through.  And obviously others will survive, just not as clear.

Just was reminded Melisandre told Arya they'd meet again; even though she doesn't have the best track record that probably means it will happen so Arya's safe unless Melisandre shows up.

« Reply #1362 on: April 22, 2019, 11:34:45 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Death predictions for Episode 3:

- Jorah
- White Worm & Missandei
- Bran
- Theon & Ironborn
- Tormund
- Sam
- Brienne
- Jaime
- Beric
- Gendry
- Pod
- Edd
- Drogon

Jon and Dany escape on Rhaegal; key thing about Drogon's death is it means that now Dany doesn't have a dragon that is "hers" since it seems like Rhaegal will be bonded to Jon.  Really flips the power dynamic.

Arya and Sansa lead escaping survivors through tunnels in the crypts.

Davos, Tyrion and Varys survive because they always survive.

Sandor survives because he hasn't faced his brother yet.

Night King achieves his "goal" of killing Bran.

There will be some discovery in the crypts, too late to affect the battle but that will prove vital for the final battle against the undead in episode 5.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 12:27:26 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1363 on: April 22, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

But not Jaime? They've both got more or less the same arc closure. I suspect Brienne will die saving him.

There will be some discovery in the crypts, too late to affect the battle but that will prove vital for the final battle against the undead in episode 5.

Finding an ultimate NK killing weapon seems a little too cliche for the show. Wonder if some Stark+crypt magic means someone comes back like Benjen. The fan choice is of course Ned but it'd most likely be Lyanna or else like Bran the Builder with special knowledge about the Night King.

« Reply #1364 on: April 22, 2019, 12:25:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

But not Jaime? They've both got more or less the same arc closure. I suspect Brienne will die saving him.

See, I think Jaime has completed his arc.  He left Cersei behind and faced the people he'd wronged.  He knighted Brienne.  He's made amends.

I think he's ready to die (from a character perspective, not saying he feels ready to die necessarily).

I don't think Jaime needs to kill Cersei or something in order to come full circle.  Indeed, I think returning to Winterfell to face Bran and stand accused for what he's done, and then be saved by the people he treated well along the way -- that's full circle for Jaime.

Quote from: Fairweatherfan

Finding an ultimate NK killing weapon seems a little too cliche for the show. Wonder if some Stark+crypt magic means someone comes back like Benjen. The fan choice is of course Ned but it'd most likely be Lyanna or else like Bran the Builder with special knowledge about the Night King.

I'm not saying they'll find some magic ultimate killing weapon, but maybe a piece of information or some insight that will help somebody (probably Tyrion) figure out the way that they can find a way to win against the undead.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain