Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 119914 times)

Re: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]
« Reply #1005 on: July 19, 2018, 11:49:49 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's a little more than I was hoping for, but I'm still thrilled that we have re-signed Smart for four years.  Just his leadership alone is worth it.  Irving, Hayward, and Horford aren't vocal leaders like Smart is.  I just hope they don't trade away Morris to get under the tax.

« Reply #1006 on: July 19, 2018, 11:50:42 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Any news regarding the structure of the contract? Frontloaded, team/player option, whatever...

In any case, I fully expect us to trade at least one of Morris/Rozier/Yabu. Either during the offseason or close to the trade deadline.

We can't trade Rozier, at least until Kyrie is back in the fold long-term. Smart is not a starter.

Morris and Yabu are expendable however...
Given that we re-signed Smart, I fully expect us to trade Rozier.

We cannot keep both Smart and Rozier going forward.
if kyrie walks we can

« Reply #1007 on: July 19, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I want to say I don’t think Smart is a horrific offensive player.  Aside from his terrible shooting he actually pretty good at running an offense, and driving into the lane and making some nice passes.  Better than Rozier in this area IMO.  Smart and Rozier I think compliment each other well with their strengths and weaknesses.

IDK I keep hearing that but any objective measure you look at says Smart is simply a terrible, terrible offensive player. I guess there's some immeasurables the team sees somewhere, I just can't find it..

Well, except that the team was better at offense he's on the floor....

« Reply #1008 on: July 19, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Any news regarding the structure of the contract? Frontloaded, team/player option, whatever...

In any case, I fully expect us to trade at least one of Morris/Rozier/Yabu. Either during the offseason or close to the trade deadline.

We can't trade Rozier, at least until Kyrie is back in the fold long-term. Smart is not a starter.

if kyrie walks we can
Problem is, if we wait till next summer to see what happens with Kyrie, we 'll then lose Rozier for nothing (assuming Kyrie re-signs). If I were Danny, I'd trade Rozier at the deadline for the highest pick I could possibly get.

It's only logical to assume that Danny has already talked to Kyrie with regards to his next contract. I bet he has a pretty good understanding of what to expect from Kyrie next summer.

« Reply #1009 on: July 19, 2018, 11:59:37 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

if kyrie walks we can
Problem is, if we wait till next summer to see what happens with Kyrie, we 'll then lose Rozier for nothing (assuming Kyrie re-signs). If I were Danny, I'd trade Rozier at the deadline for the highest pick I could possibly get.

He's a RFA, we can always match what he gets and trade him later if necessary.

« Reply #1010 on: July 19, 2018, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Assuming Danny doesn't plan to trade Smart, I fully expect us to trade Rozier.

We cannot keep both Smart and Rozier going forward. Unless we trade Rozier by the deadline, chances are that we 'll lose him for nothing next summer.

I'd say we'll trade Smart before Rozier. Rozier was the starting PG of an ECF team. Smart is a bench role player..

« Reply #1011 on: July 19, 2018, 12:04:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
If there is an "agent of the year" award it has to go to whoever represents smart. Getting Smart $13 mill is insanity.

Tell that to Nerlens Noel.

« Reply #1012 on: July 19, 2018, 12:04:12 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

if kyrie walks we can

He's a RFA, we can always match what he gets and trade him later if necessary.
No we cannot. The luxury tax is gonna be huge. Not to mention, if we were willing to match salaries why not keep Rozier in the first place?

« Reply #1013 on: July 19, 2018, 12:04:17 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

if kyrie walks we can

It's only logical to assume that Danny has already talked to Kyrie with regards to his next contract. I bet he has a pretty good understanding of what to expect from Kyrie next summer.

Yeah, but we're trying to win a championship.  I say keep him.  Plus, if Kyrie walks after this season, Rozier is an insurance policy.

« Reply #1014 on: July 19, 2018, 12:07:46 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Who knows, maybe Danny has a vision of keeping Smart, Irving AND Rozier during our contending years.  Many of us thought Smart would only come back on the QO, and we were wrong.

« Reply #1015 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:13 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
It's a little more than I was hoping for, but I'm still thrilled that we have re-signed Smart for four years.  Just his leadership alone is worth it.  Irving, Hayward, and Horford aren't vocal leaders like Smart is.  I just hope they don't trade away Morris to get under the tax.
Makes more sense to me to just trade Yabu. That should free enough salary. Some team like the Nets will take a flyer.

« Reply #1016 on: July 19, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
Who knows, maybe Danny has a vision of keeping Smart, Irving AND Rozier during our contending years.  Many of us thought Smart would only come back on the QO, and we were wrong.

I think he wants Rozier to stay badly, and why not? I mean Rozier almost led us to the Finals. Marcus is like a 9th man.

« Reply #1017 on: July 19, 2018, 12:10:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I want to say I don’t think Smart is a horrific offensive player.  Aside from his terrible shooting he actually pretty good at running an offense, and driving into the lane and making some nice passes.  Better than Rozier in this area IMO.  Smart and Rozier I think compliment each other well with their strengths and weaknesses.

IDK I keep hearing that but any objective measure you look at says Smart is simply a terrible, terrible offensive player. I guess there's some immeasurables the team sees somewhere, I just can't find it..
Is points scored objective? The team's offense functioned better this year when he was on the court rather than off it.

« Reply #1018 on: July 19, 2018, 12:11:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I think he wants Rozier to stay badly, and why not? I mean Rozier almost led us to the Finals. Marcus is like a 9th man.
How is 5th in minutes played per game in the playoffs a 9th man?

« Reply #1019 on: July 19, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Is points scored objective? The team's offense functioned better this year when he was on the court rather than off it.

Hmmm, where is this? I am looking at an ORtg of 109 for Rozier, 97 for Smart. My god that is bad..