Author Topic: Warriors turn down OJ Mayo for Monta Ellis trade  (Read 8069 times)

Re: Warriors turn down OJ Mayo for Monta Ellis trade
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 07:00:27 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Ken Berger claims that the trade offer was made 10 days ago

The Warriors decided to keep Monta Ellis, whom they refused to send to Memphis in a larger package that would've included Mayo -- a scenario that was broached about 10 days before the deadline but never gained any traction.

Not at the start of the season, or least not solely at the start of the season, like Tim Kawakami reported.

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2010, 07:12:25 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

The Warriors decided to keep Monta Ellis, whom they refused to send to Memphis in a larger package that would've included Mayo -- a scenario that was broached about 10 days before the deadline but never gained any traction.

Not at the start of the season, or least not solely at the start of the season, like Tim Kawakami reported.

Who, I know you've been pretty vocal about locking Mayo in at the PG position.

What would've your thoughts been on a Mayo/Curry backcourt?  Think it would've worked?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2010, 07:17:54 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Psst... Ellis is better than Mayo. If I were the Golden State GM, I would turn it down too.

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I think them wanting Monta Ellis is more to do with him being from Mississippi & wanting to sell more tickets than it does talent. Im was Born in Memphis so I do know that Miss is only 20-25 minutes away from Memphis driving.  Plus it is not so much difference in talent.

Monta is from Jackson which is 4 hours away from Memphis.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412

Who, I know you've been pretty vocal about locking Mayo in at the PG position.

What would've your thoughts been on a Mayo/Curry backcourt?  Think it would've worked?
No, I don't think so. I think Curry is point guard too. I greatly dislike the idea of Curry playing as an off guard. At least Mayo is a good solid player as a two guard (not an elite player but a good 30-35 minute a night player). Curry wouldn't be -- far less effective defensively + rebounding and less involved as a passer which is a major problem because he's a gifted passer.

Mayo would have continued his development as a two guard and never fulfilled his potential while Curry would have remained on a similar track. Actually, he'd better off with Mayo than Ellis.

The Warriors should build around Steph Curry at the point. He'll be one of the most deadly offensive point guards in the league in a couple of years with his shooting ability + scoring ability + passing ability + vision + decision making + composure. Steph Curry and Anthony Randolph are Golden State's two most valuable pieces. Anthony Morrow would be my pick for third place.

I still would have made the deal if I were GSW. I think Mayo is the better trade asset and could have been flipped for a superior talent than they can get for Monta Ellis.

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2010, 07:22:18 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Psst... Ellis is better than Mayo. If I were the Golden State GM, I would turn it down too.

But Mayo is way more cost effective in the forseeable future.  Golden State is going nowhere as its presently constructed.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2010, 03:25:26 AM »

Offline buzz

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
No, I don't think so. I think Curry is point guard too. I greatly dislike the idea of Curry playing as an off guard. At least Mayo is a good solid player as a two guard (not an elite player but a good 30-35 minute a night player). Curry wouldn't be -- far less effective defensively + rebounding and less involved as a passer which is a major problem because he's a gifted passer.

Mayo would have continued his development as a two guard and never fulfilled his potential while Curry would have remained on a similar track. Actually, he'd better off with Mayo than Ellis.

The Warriors should build around Steph Curry at the point. He'll be one of the most deadly offensive point guards in the league in a couple of years with his shooting ability + scoring ability + passing ability + vision + decision making + composure. Steph Curry and Anthony Randolph are Golden State's two most valuable pieces. Anthony Morrow would be my pick for third place.

I still would have made the deal if I were GSW. I think Mayo is the better trade asset and could have been flipped for a superior talent than they can get for Monta Ellis.

I watch a lot of Warriors and I would back up all of this. Curry, Randolph, Morrow and that draft pick. Forget the rest.

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 09:15:51 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24
this was both the stupidest deal offered in the entire trade deadline (the Grizzlies considering this) and the stupidest rejection of a trade ...

the Grizzlies are actually building something - this was the height of idiocy

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!

But Mayo is way more cost effective in the forseeable future.  Golden State is going nowhere as its presently constructed.

And I think Mayo would be a better fit with Curry.
But the GS front office is full of chickens with their heads cut off.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »

Offline sk7326

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 24

And I think Mayo would be a better fit with Curry.
But the GS front office is full of chickens with their heads cut off.

at least Mike Dunleavy tried to do a good job - he was just incompetent

at least Chris Wallace tries to do a good job - his owner just thinks he is a GM

at least David Kahn tries to do a good job - he just knows nothing about the business

Don Nelson does not try to do a good job - Peter from Office Space is a paragon of office team spirit by comparison

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 10:41:46 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It was reported that it was Mayo and Thabeet for Ellis, but turned it down. Thabeet has been a disappointment, but he does have upside and it's not as though the Warriors have legitimate playoff hopes in the foreseeable future.

Besides Mayo's rookie contract, him being bigger than Ellis and better equipped to cover bigger 2's should've been more than enough reason for the Warriors to accept.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4946483

The Grizzlies, according to NBA front-office sources, offered Thabeet and second-year guard O.J. Mayo to the Golden State Warriors for Warriors guard Monta Ellis before the Feb. 18 trade deadline but were turned down.

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 02:44:45 AM »

Offline buzz

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
A good source on another forum says that Don Nelson wasn't even consulted about this trade.

From the tone of it, he doesn't seem to be very happy about it.

Wow.